What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,
I'm still on firmware 386.8 (RT-AX88U)
Almost a year with no problems, it's a rock-solid, stable version đź‘Ť
1689837265426.png

1689837270173.png

1689837275695.png

Last edited:
Rock solid, stable, and not as secure as it can be.

At what level? At any level.

Leaving anything connected online for a year without updating it is just gambling with your security.

Bugs can be fixed or worked around.

A security breach is not undoable.

Do any quick search and you'll see the level of gambling you're taking on with your 'good enough' method of inaction.

The risks increase with the age of the firmware (something new to hack is always being found in the old).

At what level? At any level.

Leaving anything connected online for a year without updating it is just gambling with your security.

Bugs can be fixed or worked around.

A security breach is not undoable.

Do any quick search and you'll see the level of gambling you're taking on with your 'good enough' method of inaction.

The risks increase with the age of the firmware (something new to hack is always being found in the old).
Maybe, but I'm not a router perfectionist.
And I don't spend my time doing hard resets and updates like some people here. I have other things to do with my life.
The important thing is that everything works and for a while.
The purpose of my first post was just to point out to Merlin that he makes good and not-so-good versions, 386.8 being one of them ;)

Maybe, but I'm not a router perfectionist.
And I don't spend my time doing hard resets and updates like some people here. I have other things to do with my life.
The important thing is that everything works and for a while.
The purpose of my first post was just to point out to Merlin that he makes good and not-so-good versions, 386.8 being one of them ;)
Keeping up to date on the firmware version doesn't require you to be router perfectionist its just good security awareness.

RMerlin has never released a 'not good' version of firmware that I am aware of.

I too have other things to do, but doing a proper reset (15 minutes tops) is what allows me to do those other things while my network functions optimally too.

Everything has been working with Asus routers since before I joined the forums here almost a decade ago. If they don't - that is what indicates a full reset is required.

No such thing as a router perfectionist. But there is a requirement to be thorough and systematic to achieve results in efficient ways while being as secure as the equipment, manufacturer, and firmware we choose to use allow us. Doing only one or two things isn't enough. Everything, or nothing.

If you want to have your router giving you the best possible it has to offer.

Anything less is just making excuses for needlessly stopping short of 'great'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!