What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
By any chance you are using QoS which disables the NAT acceleration engine?
On my RT-AX56U, CPU usage are high on 388-series firmwares, but so far it never maxed out like yours.
How is the CPU usage looking when the router is idle?

Also one more observation, I have a USB HDD that is connected to the router and I run a FTP server off the HDD.
I can scroll through images on the HDD without any noticed lag on 386.7_2, but it has become very slow to go through the images on the 388 firmwares.

Not sure if it is related, but the FTP server stops responding after a few days of uptime, and needed a reboot to fix that.

These issues were not on the 386.7_2 and earlier firmwares.

Yes im using QoS. I have been using Cake for about a month. For my usage it has been running great. Does Cake disable NAT acceleration?

CPU usage on idle is in anywhere between 5-20%.

I also have M.2 SSD in enclosure with USB adapter to my router for scripts and FTP-server that I host for family and friends. For me I havent had any issues with my FTP server. Everyone can connect there at any time and it hasnt been down since I first enabled it. Speeds are also good when using it locally over SMB. Over WAN they max out at my internet provider speeds.

Yes im using QoS. I have been using Cake for about a month. For my usage it has been running great. Does Cake disable NAT acceleration?

CPU usage on idle is in anywhere between 5-20%.

I also have M.2 SSD in enclosure with USB adapter to my router for scripts and FTP-server that I host for family and friends. For me I havent had any issues with my FTP server. Everyone can connect there at any time and it hasnt been down since I first enabled it. Speeds are also good when using it locally over SMB. Over WAN they max out at my internet provider speeds.
Cake disables NAT acceleration which causes an increased load on the cpu.

on the
by my knowledge any form of QOS disables the nat acceleration
Cake disables NAT acceleration which causes an increased load on the cpu.

Thank you both for quick reply.

Just had a random reboot a few minutes ago. I think im reverting back to 388.1_beta4 this weekend and see if these reboots will stop.

Edit: Found out in older changelogs that Wireguard also disables NAT acceleration.

Second edit: Now running 388.1_beta4 solid for 4 hours. Havent seen any spikes on cores.

Third edit: Just saw 3 cores spiking up. Went to system log and saw that uiDivstats started a stat update. I think im gonna remove it and see if spikes continue.

Last edited:
Dirty-upgraded of multiple RT-AX86U without issues thusfar.

Always had it on 36. Settings are same as one previous firmware, and I never had this kind of problem with any of the firmwares before just on this one. And again this morning wifi just stopped working and get back again on my S23 Ultra with exclamation mark, and I turn it off and on again, and it was back, really strange problem.
This you are describing here has happened to me twice. There's definitely something going on...

what are these errors

Apr 20 21:24:06 kernel: wl0: PSM microcode watchdog fired at 604459 (seconds). Resetting.
Apr 20 21:24:06 kernel: wl0: reason = psm watchdog at 604459 seconds. corerev 131 ucode ...

Possibly the PSM-messages is related to the “power supply module” (PSM) watchdog features.

The article in the link is not about your Asus router but maybe it gives you a clue to further investigate the issue.

Possibly the PSM-messages is related to the “power supply module”

Unlikely. This is something closed source wireless drivers related.

Hmm strange... So I'm not the only one.

On AX88U.

Also what I noticed and it never happend before is on my S23 Ultra smartphone, wifi on 5Ghz got extremly slow I have 1/500 internet speed, and pages were loading and loading... then I went on speedtest to test speed and got 10mbps down and 500 up, but when I turn off wifi and turn it on in smartphone it was okay, but not for long and it happends again. I even get exclamation mark on my wifi icon on mobile when that happend, it's like connection was so bad it couldn't get any data or something. After that I reboot router when I noticed that strange behavior and now everything is back in normal.
That could be the S23. There's know WiFi issues at the minute I believe.

I think im gonna remove it and see if spikes continue.

Your issue is known and it's in your signature:

Scripts: Diversion, Skynet, Scribe, Connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, spdMerlin, uiDivStats, vnStat.

You guys have to overcome this monitoring obsession and start using your routers for some Internet access.

Leave Diversion if you need on-router adblocking. Remove all the rest and try again. Your RT-AX56U perhaps hates you already.

Your issue is known and it's in your signature:

Scripts: Diversion, Skynet, Scribe, Connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, spdMerlin, uiDivStats, vnStat.

You guys have to overcome this monitoring obsession and start using your routers for some Internet access.

Leave Diversion if you need on-router adblocking. Remove all the rest and try again. Your RT-AX56U perhaps hates you already.

Yeah seems so. Ive had a feeling for long time that im pushing it too far with all those scripts. Lol!

Reactions: a5m
pushing it too far with all those scripts

As I replied to another poster - all "j" scripts are in fact unsupported. They were developed before 388 firmware. Use at your own risk state. Every beta or release firmware thread gets flooded by script happy users who entangled themselves in own configuration. This "issues" reporting has to stop.

with this firmware I am not able to load ExpressVPN - even after removing keysize 256 entry the configuration loads but never gets an IP like so
Connected (Local: 10.159.0.46 - Internet not redirected)
There is redirection on VPN director to move ipad traffic using this VPN client and still nothing.
All this worked in previous version and while I wait for EVPN to make changes to their config (highly doubt that they will or even understand as the questions I am getting makes me feel that even the best and most expesinve are same as other)

Any help will be appreicated
RT_AX86U here

Edit:
I worked over chat with ExpressVPN for close to 2 hours and after their new configuration that removes ‘keysize’ and adds ‘verify-x509-name Server name-prefix’ it seems there is no dice in successfully getting an IP from EVPN
EVPN mentioned that I have to reload previous software that worked and that they do not support any routers that they don’t sell or are not on their supported list, it so happens that 86U is not. Just stating this in case others have or are facing same issues with ExpressVPN

Last edited:
Unlikely. This is something closed source wireless drivers related.
Thank you for giving us your opinion, Tech9. You are well known for your technical skills. I understand that the idea presented may be a long shot.

Sometimes, software sends PSM messages when there are heating issues. The software protects the hardware from getting too hot. I am unsure if Asus has included support for these events, but I thought it would be worth mentioning as something to consider.

I think your suggestion that it is related to the wireless component or software is interesting.

I think your suggestion that it is related to the wireless component or software is interesting.

Found it mentioned in various Broadcom wireless device drivers for Linux on GitHub. Not sure what it is. Perhaps only Broadcom knows what they mean by PSM. On this specific device I would be surprised if it's something power supply or temperature related. The CPU has independent overheating control for instance. For this CPU it's set on 100C. I'm not aware of overheating protection existence for radio ICs. I would expect something around order of execution, Privileged Session Management? The same error is mentioned with Cisco APs with high utilization load and subsequent RF circuit re-initialization. Not something we can debug or fix anyway.

G'Day from Australia. I upgraded my AX58U router without resetting it and now the 5Ghz band is not working properly. Websites and ping tests fail for any device that connects to 5Ghz. I wonder if this issue affects people in countries that have more channel options because of different rules and regulations?

1682239019237.png

1682239042277.png

Last edited:
Apr 18 05:21:59 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_hostapd_sec : No WPSIE in beacon
Apr 18 05:21:59 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set

1.png

The only Errors, no Alert or Critical, still running... thank you Merlin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.