What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin and large NTFS drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bdr9

New Around Here
I currently have an RT-N66U with Asuswrt-Merlin and it's been running very well so far. I have a 3TB Seagate external HDD currently formatted with NTFS and filled with pictures, videos, and music. I would like to connect it to the RT-N66U to make the data available over the network but I know that there are some potential problems with using large NTFS drives. My question is, how risky is it? What exactly can happen? Should I reformat it to ext3? If I do reformat it to ext3, is there a way to get it to work when connected to a Windows system? I don't have any Linux computers.

I would use a Linux boot image to boot into gparted and then format the HDD to ext, always best to format from within the native OS IMO.

Then use ext2fsd when reading via connecting direct to your PC. Obviously if you connect to the router you can simply browse on your PC to transfer content and you do not need any ext drivers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!