What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin AX88U problem with ExpressVPN PPTP protocol

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chriIro

New Around Here
Good morning (I apologize immediately for my English).
I'm new to this forum and also to the ASUSwrt-merlin world. I have an ASUS ax88u, with the latest merlin firmware, bridged to the ISP modem.The static ip assigned to the router is inserted in the modem's dmz and I created a second network (ip modem = 192.168.1.x; ip router = 192.168.3.x). The choice fell on this router because I use the internet purely to play online with the Playstation. By reading guides and trying I was able to set everything up for the online game. for further testing, I subscribed to ExpressVPN, installed on my router through openvpn. when i connect to the vpn with openvpn (apart from higher latency) i don't have any problem. the problem, and here I come to the reason for the post, is when I try to connect through the PPTP protocol (duly configured as illustrated by ExpressVPN). I would like to use the pptp protocol precisely because it could guarantee me a better latency in the online game, but when I connect - while obtaining an ip and being connected - I am unable to browse (or clearly to play) because I have a connection with very few kb (compared to of the 50 mb I normally have with my connection). I ask if someone more experienced than me can help me understand what the problem may be. Thanks to those who will help me

would like to use the pptp protocol precisely because it could guarantee me a better latency in the online game

Hi,
why use a vpn with pptp (an insecure protocol) to game online? It's not better to avoid using vpn at all for online gaming?
Also, it seems to me that AX88u supports AES-NI, so are you sure that pptp is faster than openvpn with aes encryption on that router?

Hi,
why use a vpn with pptp (an insecure protocol) to game online? It's not better to avoid using vpn at all for online gaming?
Also, it seems to me that AX88u supports AES-NI, so are you sure that pptp is faster than openvpn with aes encryption on that router?

I'm not actually an expert, but I've read that through vpn the data packets are able to move faster between the console and the game server, reducing lag. I tried with openvpn but I find latency so I wanted to try with pptp (ignoring the safety issue) which should have a lower ping

I'm not actually an expert, but I've read that through vpn the data packets are able to move faster between the console and the game server, reducing lag. I tried with openvpn but I find latency so I wanted to try with pptp (ignoring the safety issue) which should have a lower ping
I use express Vpn and have for years but I have never been able to get pptp to work properly. Their open VPN and DNS service is fine but not pptp in my experience

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!