What's new

At war with ISP (blaming my Asus router) any help would be appreciated.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HuHu

New Around Here
So basically as the title states. I own An asus RT-AC68U which is connected to a PPPoe Injector which then goes to a receiver which goes to a local tower. they advertise fast speeds have told me that I have a strong connection and that packet loss is at a minimum between the receiver and tower. I am at my wits end with a connection that drops in and out constantly, constant 20-100 jitter with spikes between 200-1000 and can see speeds go as low as 1-3mbps. I have been in arguments with the internet provider and they are trying to come back to me and tell me its because i am using a third party router when i have set it up exactly the way they want it to communicate with the service. it just feels like one big joke.

In saying all this im wondering if there are some technically talented individuals out there that can read the router logs and make more sense of this situation for me

not sure if the system log attached so here goes

Attachments

• syslog (1).txt
    399.7 KB · Views: 108
Never heard of a PPPoe injector. Have heard of a POE (power over ethernet) injector.

If using a PPPoE modem+router, is it configured as a router, so it creates and manages the PPPoE connection, or bridged so the ASUS router creates and manages the PPPoE connection? If it's the latter, I'd try the former to see if things improve (even if it means being double NAT'd).

What is the internet service? Is it fixed wireless? What is the modem or receiver make/model? What does the ISP recommend as a router?

Sorry yes a POE injector. so the injector is plugged straight into the ASUS router. I did have to configure the dual wan to get this working though. as far as I know the router isn't bridged if your referring to Media bridge. Yes I'm fairly certain its fixed wireless. The ISP Recommended router is a Huawei HG659. I'm not sure if this one that they are currently recommending showed movement of data. I did use their old modem if it was a different model and was still getting abysmal service and not much information so I decided to get a modem that could view the movement of data through the router thus the ASUS router being blamed. Both the injector and the dish are Ubiquiti branded but dont have actual model codes on the equipment itself.

So can you plug a computer into the PoE injector where you normally connect the WAN port and access the web?

Why did you have to configure dual WAN on the ASUS router? Do you have to set the router WAN to PPPoE?

I'm not sure where I would put the username and password to connect to their service in my operating system on my computer but yes I imagine that I could connect my computer straight into the injector and get it working, should I do a little bit of learning and attempt it?

and yes I have to set the router WAN to PPPoE and the Wan Type to ethernet LAN I did set this up a little while ago so I don't remember my exact reasoning for doing this, i think i was having trouble directly connecting the injector straight into my WAN port and getting it to work.

So your ISP is using a PPPoE connection. You would have to put a PPPoE client on your computer, then to connect. I can't help you there.

You should not have to set the ASUS to dual WAN. You should just be able to set the WAN type to PPPoE and follow the ISP's instructions on how to configure the connection.

It could very well be that the problem is an incompatibility between how the ASUS implements PPPoE or just misconfiguration of the PPPoE connection parameters.

okay so I am not sure what I was thinking when I set up the dual wan but have set it back up to use the wan port with no issues.

I guess my next step is downloading a PPPoE client on my computer and doing a comparison.

okay so I am not sure what I was thinking when I set up the dual wan but have set it back up to use the wan port with no issues.

I guess my next step is downloading a PPPoE client on my computer and doing a comparison.
If the problem is solved, why continue to debug?

Are you using the NNWIFI ISP?
If not, they have a very similar setup to what you are describing.
The router they provided us during installation came with a whitelisted MAC address.
When we put in our own router, speeds were very slow until we went into the router settings and replaced the MAC address with what their provided router had set.

Are you using the NNWIFI ISP?
If not, they have a very similar setup to what you are describing.
The router they provided us during installation came with a whitelisted MAC address.
When we put in our own router, speeds were very slow until we went into the router settings and replaced the MAC address with what their provided router had set.

Was I right or what?;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!