What's new

(attempting) Bridging N66U to AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

izak

Occasional Visitor
I am attempting to set up a bridge mode access pretty much as displayed in the picture below.

MyBridgeMode.jpg

There are other things connected to the mother ship; the AC88U, but currently only the Dell Laptop is connected to the bridge; the N66U. I have attempted this about 5 times throughout the week without success. I've gotten locked out of my N66U router and by digging through the internet have figured out how to get back in. But still, my bridge isn't working correctly. Perhaps I am missing something.

I've tried a bunch of things, but here is what I have:
1) As witnessed by the client lists from each router,
RT_AC88U_ClientList20160724.jpg RT-N66U_ClientList20160724.jpg
the AC88U can see the N66U and vice versa. One opposite but equal difference is that the AC88U shows an Rx Rate of 216.7 while conversely the N66U shows a Tx Rate of 216.7. They both show just one leg.

2) Each router shows up in the other's list.

3) All clients show up in both client lists except the Dell Laptop which is the only client on the N66U side.

4) When I switch the Dell Laptop to auto configuration, it resorts it's IP and Subnet Mask to some arcane set of numbers and then loses and refuses to connect to the N66U. The only way I can get a 192.168.1.x IP number in the Dell Laptop is to give it a hard IP. Then, and only then can I connect to the N66U; which is physically connected via ethernet cable.

5) No matter whether or not the Dell Laptop has a hard IP, I cannot connect to any websites.

6) While in the N66U Asuswrt, I can ping to the www. ...

I am just an old novice, but It seems to me that I do not have DHCP nor DNS on the N66U. Maybe more? Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

This from ASUS ...

Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support.

After reviewing your email, I understand that you are facing issues with your router in configuring it in the Bridge mode.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will be more than happy to help you.

As per the information provided I would like to inform you that it is not possible to bridge the two routers of different models with different firmwares.

If you need to bridge two routers you need the same model and the same firmware on both the routers.

For any further queries, please feel free to reply back to this e-mail. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

Well that sucks....Bought an ac88u and was hoping to bridge to my n66u when I get my bigger house...guess that's not happening now.

Toon

This from ASUS ...

Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support.

After reviewing your email, I understand that you are facing issues with your router in configuring it in the Bridge mode.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will be more than happy to help you.

As per the information provided I would like to inform you that it is not possible to bridge the two routers of different models with different firmwares.

If you need to bridge two routers you need the same model and the same firmware on both the routers.

For any further queries, please feel free to reply back to this e-mail. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

I think this is a wrong answer from the Asus support.
Every other manufacturer has no problem with Reapeter Mode and diffrent hardware.

If that is really so, is that a disgrace for the Asus Software Division.
As chief I would fired the software department. Because these errors in the Firmware.

Bridging different models is not guaranteed to work because Broadcom's SDK doesn't implement it the same way accross all SDK versions. This has nothing to do with Asus or bugs, it's just that they cannot guaranteed if it will work or not, as Broadcom most likely don't test or validate such configurations.

Proxysta is more complex than just a wifi client connecting to a wifi AP.

I have AC87R and AC66R bridged, and let me tell you it is posible because it's my current configuration in my house.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I have AC87R and AC66R bridged, and let me tell you it is posible because it's my current configuration in my house.

It depends on the models and the firmware version used. A few years ago I experimented a bit with media bridge mode with two different models (can't remember which, possibly an AC66 and AC56?). Bridge mode only worked if a specific router was the main router and the other the client, it didn't work if I swapped them around. So yes, it can work if you have different models, but it's not guaranteed to - it depends on many factors. Which would be why their tech support will not support it.

Every other manufacturer has no problem with Reapeter Mode and diffrent hardware.

Repeater Mode and Media Bridge mode are totally different beasts.