What's new

Autologout failing: Ambiguous session status on web interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jay613

Occasional Visitor
I have a mesh network with firmware fully updated. When I go to the web admin interface after the session timeout I never get the login screen. I get logged in automatically but only parts of the user interface work. Parts are empty and parts are unresponsive. I have to press "Logout" in order to be able to log in properly and get the full interface. Why am I not being fully and properly logged out after the session timeout, why does this half dead state exist?

Pictured here: A logout button (I'm logged in) and a big blank screen. To fix this I log out and back in and all's good.
1606497245357.png

I have a mesh network with firmware fully updated. When I go to the web admin interface after the session timeout I never get the login screen. I get logged in automatically but only parts of the user interface work. Parts are empty and parts are unresponsive. I have to press "Logout" in order to be able to log in properly and get the full interface. Why am I not being fully and properly logged out after the session timeout, why does this half dead state exist?

Pictured here: A logout button (I'm logged in) and a big blank screen. To fix this I log out and back in and all's good.
View attachment 28036

Have you reset the firmware lately before configuration from scratch?

OE

@OzarkEdge I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I've had my router for a long time and it's on the latest firmware but I have not factory reset it and reconfigured from scratch lately. Or ever. All the other nodes were factory reset (by necessity) when joining the mesh.

As you know from another of my posts, I'm loathe to reconfigure my router from scratch because I've done quite a lot to it.

Is there a bug like what I've described that is cleared by a factory reset????

And if so .... is it cleared with the reset button that resets current firmware to factory state or with the full factory reset (hold WPS while powering on) that resets back to original firmware? The latter is an even bigger pain because it won't even have the Mesh capability on bootup, you have to get it connected to the web and upgraded before you can join the mesh.

@OzarkEdge I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I've had my router for a long time and it's on the latest firmware but I have not factory reset it and reconfigured from scratch lately. Or ever. All the other nodes were factory reset (by necessity) when joining the mesh.

As you know from another of my posts, I'm loathe to reconfigure my router from scratch because I've done quite a lot to it.

Is there a bug like what I've described that is cleared by a factory reset????

And if so .... is it cleared with the reset button that resets current firmware to factory state or with the full factory reset (hold WPS while powering on) that resets back to original firmware? The latter is an even bigger pain because it won't even have the Mesh capability on bootup, you have to get it connected to the web and upgraded before you can join the mesh.

You might want to review this FAQ.

Resetting the firmware does not remove it. It finishes installing it with its own default settings instead of holding onto the settings of the previously installed firmware. Call it clean install vs. a dirty install.

When you have trouble, a clean install and not restoring old settings is advisable before trying to troubleshoot the issue.

A clean install is also advisable when the firmware changes significantly.

And, a clean install is advisable when you see weirdness, like bits of the webUI gone missing.

I suggest you reset using the webUI Restore w/Initialize and configure from scratch.

OE

After you log out, actually close the browser too. Note that even then, some still stay working in the background.

If this doesn't solve it for you, then clear the cache, use 'InPrivate' or 'incognito' mode, etc. to ensure that the browser isn't caching (and therefore guessing) what you want to see.

I also advise to return to factory defaults and manually configure the router.
In addition: write down what changes you make from the defaults.
I keep a text file for my routers, like this:
Code:
Advanced Settings - Wireless - General - 2.4 GHz
b/g Protection: unchecked
Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz
Control Channel: 11

Advanced Settings - Wireless - WPS
Enable WPS: OFF

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz
Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
Airtime Fairness: Disable
Universal Beamforming: Disable

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz
Airtime Fairness: Disable
Universal Beamforming: Disable

Advanced Settings - LAN - LAN IP
Host Name: xxxxxx
IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Advanced Settings - WAN - Internet Connection
Enable UPnP: No

Advanced Settings - Administration - System
USB Mode: USB 2.0
Time Zone: (GMT+1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern
DST time zone changes starts: month = 3, weekday = 5th Sun, 2 hours
DST time zone changes ends: month = 10, weekday = 5th Sun, 3 hours

USB application - Servers Center - Media Server
Enable UPnP Media Server: OFF

USB application - Servers Center - Media Server
Network Printer Server
Network Printer Server: OFF
Typing such a file takes some efforts, but it is worth a lot.

@wouterv, a text file is good, an Excel file is better. :)

At least for keeping track of multiple routers' installs for me.

One or the other is always good to have when things go belly up (or, you're trying to fix something a few years later...).

@L&LD @wouterv @OzarkEdge Good suggestions, thank you all. I guess I was being lazy, but you are all suggesting the same thing. I'll gratefully accept that advice, take the plunge and do this.

I have the added incentive that one of the Nodes I purchased has a much faster CPU than the current router, so I guess I'll swap them now, reset them both and manually reconfig everything on the new faster router.

I will lose a lot of manual MAC->name mappings for tens of devices that are not currently on line, mostly kids' friends' phones. But that's fine. Most of them will probably never be seen on the network again anyway.

@L&LD @wouterv @OzarkEdge Good suggestions, thank you all. I guess I was being lazy, but you are all suggesting the same thing. I'll gratefully accept that advice, take the plunge and do this.

I have the added incentive that one of the Nodes I purchased has a much faster CPU than the current router, so I guess I'll swap them now, reset them both and manually reconfig everything on the new faster router.

I will lose a lot of manual MAC->name mappings for tens of devices that are not currently on line, mostly kids' friends' phones. But that's fine. Most of them will probably never be seen on the network again anyway.
Making screenshots of router setting pages can be of help too, but that doesn't tell you right away what is default or not (you will find out after you start from scratch).

@L&LD @wouterv @OzarkEdge

I have a lot of name mappings as well, if I were to reset the router I though I might be able to save a load of typing by using "nvram show", saving the relevant text line and using "nvram set" to restore them after the reset.

Would that work?

If anyone's still looking at this :). Here's what I have noticed now. I have not reset the router yet. If you leave your browser window open and logged in, it gets logged out properly upon timeout. If you close the window and then reopen a new one later after the timeout, it is in that zombie state. You can press the Logout button and then you are back in a good (logged out) state. You can also log in with an Incognito window. So there is some aspect of your logged in state that is being cached by the browser unless it has a window open to process the autologout when it happens.

It feels like a bug to me. I'm skeptical about whether a router reset will cure this. I'll do it anyway for various reasons, although it might not be while we're all still WFH.

If anyone's still looking at this :). Here's what I have noticed now. I have not reset the router yet.

Which may or may not render all such observations meaningless. The only way to know is to reset the firmware which you have never done.

OE