What's new

Automatic IP and Wired Ethernet Speed Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ja_1982

New Around Here
I am experiencing an odd issue and I hope someone can help me out. I am using a Rogers cable modem (TC4350 - FW 50041.1.19.0) in bridge mode and it is connected to the WAN port of my Asus AC-68P (FW 380.67). When I use 'Automatic IP' in the WAN settings everything works fine however the wired internet speeds max out around 9-10 Mbs, wireless connections achieve 250Mb (advertised service speed).

When I change the WAN setting to be 'PPoE' and enter anything for username and password I achieve full speed on both wired and wireless connections. Any ideas?

Does your ISP use pppoe or does it use ipoe (dhcp) mac based, putting the mac address of the modem Into the mac clone field of the router when you set automatic ip. Your ISP will only use one method.

Does your ISP use pppoe or does it use ipoe (dhcp) mac based, putting the mac address of the modem Into the mac clone field of the router when you set automatic ip. Your ISP will only use one method.

I am not sure which method the ISP uses, I would assume MAC cloning based on what you said about it being one of the two methods.

I just found the solution to this problem but I am still not sure why it is happening. I disabled QoS and the WAN speeds are consistent (250Mbs) between wired and wireless when using 'Automatic IP'. So it appears the QoS was impacting the wired ports on the router. I have the same router model at a second site and it was exhibiting the same behavior.

I am not sure which method the ISP uses, I would assume MAC cloning based on what you said about it being one of the two methods.

I just found the solution to this problem but I am still not sure why it is happening. I disabled QoS and the WAN speeds are consistent (250Mbs) between wired and wireless when using 'Automatic IP'. So it appears the QoS was impacting the wired ports on the router. I have the same router model at a second site and it was exhibiting the same behavior.
Rogers uses DHCP for there system.

Rogers uses DHCP for there system.
That's ipoe then like my ISP, hmm check that you set the speed correctly in qos and disable spanning tree protocol.

Thanks for the help Vexira but I think I am just going to leave QoS off. I had it on Adaptive QoS and Automatic bandwidth when the problem was occurring but I did not try disabling the spanning tree protocol.

Thanks for the help Vexira but I think I am just going to leave QoS off. I had it on Adaptive QoS and Automatic bandwidth when the problem was occurring but I did not try disabling the spanning tree protocol.
no problem it some what sounds like an issue with hardware accelration or cpu horse power

Last edited: