What's new

Average upload speed on Asus GT-AXE16000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

linkpros

Occasional Visitor
I got the GT AXE-16000 recently and trying to figure out the average upload speed. Connected to 10G port, I get 2G down and 1.6 up on 2G Internet from ISP. Router speed tests are at 2.1up and 2.1down.

I had other issues with wifi radio bandwidth and channel selection, it seems to be working great now. But LAN upload seems to be an issue. Ai protection is OFF and no QOS. What else could be wrong?

And looking to add a mesh for better wifi speed at different levels in the home. Are there any settings to limit the range of wifi radios in router and mesh to ensure the connection to client roam smoothly? I had deco units before and the clients hang with the router even standing close to the access point.
Update: I figured out there is roaming assist option

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't understand what is your LAN upload problem.
It's a fiber internet, download/upload should be symmetrical and I get 2.1G upload on router speed test, I should get at least close to that when connected via ethernet to the router, losing ~400mb upload speed.

Consistently fine here on a 2.5Gbps link and with AiProtection on. I get the same from a Mac Studio via a 15m wire into the router.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 00.02.00.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 00.02.00.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 80
It's a fiber internet, download/upload should be symmetrical and I get 2.1G upload on router speed test, I should get at least close to that when connected via ethernet to the router, losing ~400mb upload speed.

Ah, I guess I understand: so you have some sort of PC connected to the other 10G port. And that client is "only" getting 2G down vs 1.6 up.
I would try parallel traffic. At those speeds any "glitch" with the client/server can be easily seen as a problem.
And don't try speed test on the router. It's not a high end cpu and it's not hard to "guess" they are applying all sort of tricks to make it look good.

Sometimes I can't hold myself and envy your speeds! Where I leave now a 1G down comes with a 50mbps down. And that's amazing! 10 years ago max down was 50mbps and upload was 5mbps :)

Consistently fine here on a 2.5Gbps link and with AiProtection on. I get the same from a Mac Studio via a 15m wire into the router.
That's great! So I think there is some issue with the router itself.

Ah, I guess I understand: so you have some sort of PC connected to the other 10G port. And that client is "only" getting 2G down vs 1.6 up.
I would try parallel traffic. At those speeds any "glitch" with the client/server can be easily seen as a problem.
And don't try speed test on the router. It's not a high end cpu and it's not hard to "guess" they are applying all sort of tricks to make it look good.

Sometimes I can't hold myself and envy your speeds! Where I leave now a 1G down comes with a 50mbps down. And that's amazing! 10 years ago max down was 50mbps and upload was 5mbps :)
Tried parallel tests too, still getting the same 1.6 to 7 upload speed

Tried parallel tests too, still getting the same 1.6 to 7 upload speed

Watch the CPU in the router and the CPU on your computer (make sure you are looking at all cores on the computer and not just the summary graph that averages them all). See if one core maxes out, it can be a bit much for a computer to generate 2+ gigs/sec of fake data. Have you tried a different PC?

If the router can generate 2.1gigs the it should be able to forward that much, so seems more likely to be an issue with the computer or possibly cabling etc.

Watch the CPU in the router and the CPU on your computer (make sure you are looking at all cores on the computer and not just the summary graph that averages them all). See if one core maxes out, it can be a bit much for a computer to generate 2+ gigs/sec of fake data. Have you tried a different PC?

If the router can generate 2.1gigs the it should be able to forward that much, so seems more likely to be an issue with the computer or possibly cabling etc.
I was doing the speed test on Mac with usb-c to ethernet (2.5gbps) adapter and parallel tests with windows laptop direct ethernet port. Standalone tests on Mac and parallel tests with windows laptop, both averaged at 1.7 upload speed. Download has been consistent at 2.1 always.

I was doing the speed test on Mac with usb-c to ethernet (2.5gbps) adapter and parallel tests with windows laptop direct ethernet port. Standalone tests on Mac and parallel tests with windows laptop, both averaged at 1.7 upload speed. Download has been consistent at 2.1 always.

USB to ethernet have lousy chipsets and rely heavily on the CPU. Again, watch the CPU (not the average, the specific cores, as speed tests are often single threaded) of the computer and the router while doing the speed test and see where the limitation is. If neither hits 100%, start looking at cabling etc. Could very well be that 2.5G USB adapter simply can't do 2.5G.

Doing 2 parallel tests with 1G onboard NICs may give a better idea but the two tests contending with each other will reduce your speed somewhat, you'd probably cap out around 1.6 to 1.8 so about the same as what you're seeing now, probably not that helpful there.

Enabled Jumbo frames in LAN --> Switch control, and the upload speed issue is resolved! Now getting the same speed as ISP through the router. Spent so much in researching on this and finally able to resolve. I can see consistent LAN speeds both upload and download

Enabled Jumbo frames in LAN --> Switch control, and the upload speed issue is resolved! Now getting the same speed as ISP through the router. Spent so much in researching on this and finally able to resolve. I can see consistent LAN speeds both upload and download

Something else is going on, jumbo frames are only on your LAN. Perhaps it reset something in the switch when you changed that setting. Even if your ISP supported jumbo, your WAN MTU would have to be set to something larger than 1500 to make use of it (and I'm not aware of ISPs supporting larger than 1500 anyway).

Your machine is still sending the same frame/packet sizes when going to the WAN (it detects the MTU and does not take advantage of the jumbo frames on that path).

In reality, all jumbo frames does is reduce the load on your computer's CPU a bit and make things a bit more efficient (less overhead). Handy for large LAN to LAN file transfers, not helpful for much else.

Have you enabled jumbo frames on the computer too? If not, then definitely not jumbo frame related, some sort of fluke related to resetting the switch.

If you had jumbo enabled on the PC and not on the switch, that could actually have explained your upload issues possibly, but only if it wasn't properly detecting the MTU of the router, which is unlikely.

Does your ISP use PPPoE by chance?

I guess if it is working and you're happy, great, but I suspect there may still be something going on, perhaps a lot of packet fragmentation now happening on the router or something.

Something else is going on, jumbo frames are only on your LAN. Perhaps it reset something in the switch when you changed that setting. Even if your ISP supported jumbo, your WAN MTU would have to be set to something larger than 1500 to make use of it (and I'm not aware of ISPs supporting larger than 1500 anyway).

Your machine is still sending the same frame/packet sizes when going to the WAN (it detects the MTU and does not take advantage of the jumbo frames on that path).

In reality, all jumbo frames does is reduce the load on your computer's CPU a bit and make things a bit more efficient (less overhead). Handy for large LAN to LAN file transfers, not helpful for much else.

Have you enabled jumbo frames on the computer too? If not, then definitely not jumbo frame related, some sort of fluke related to resetting the switch.

If you had jumbo enabled on the PC and not on the switch, that could actually have explained your upload issues possibly, but only if it wasn't properly detecting the MTU of the router, which is unlikely.

Does your ISP use PPPoE by chance?

I guess if it is working and you're happy, great, but I suspect there may still be something going on, perhaps a lot of packet fragmentation now happening on the router or something.
You are right! I disabled Jumbo frames in the router and tried speed tests again, not seeing the upload issue. Getting 2.1 up and down! And yeah probably playing around with enable/disable jumbo frames might have reset some switch settings (though I'm not using any external switch, probably its the router's internal switch??), glad the issue is resolved! I got new Belkin usb-c to 2.5gbe ethernet adapter too, but I wasn't seeing any change, then came across jumbo frames somewhere and tried that. Thank you for all the info!

You are right! I disabled Jumbo frames in the router and tried speed tests again, not seeing the upload issue. Getting 2.1 up and down! And yeah probably playing around with enable/disable jumbo frames might have reset some switch settings (though I'm not using any external switch, probably its the router's internal switch??), glad the issue is resolved! I got new Belkin usb-c to 2.5gbe ethernet adapter too, but I wasn't seeing any change, then came across jumbo frames somewhere and tried that. Thank you for all the info!

Yeah the jumbo frames setting is for the router's internal switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!