What's new

AX-11000 160mhz on 5ghz2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I try to set it just to 160MHz its doesn't take.
I executed the command.
The output was:
size: 84706 bytes (46366 left)
wl1_bw=0
wl1_bw_160=0
wl1_bw_cap=7
wl1_bw_dl=
wl1_bw_enabled=0
wl1_bw_switch_160=2
wl1_bw_ul=

All browsers have the same effect

Maybe you just can't have 160 on both. Considering there are really only 2 usable 160 channels and one of them half overlaps with DFS, and the other fully overlaps DFS (including some DFS bands that only started being allowed in the last couple years), it may just not be allowed. Could be a country specific thing too.

FYI I'm selling 100 gig internet for only $10,000 per month if you're interested. Router rental fee extra. If you have more than 1 person in your household it is really the minimum you need.

If I try to set it just to 160MHz its doesn't take.
I executed the command.
The output was:
size: 84706 bytes (46366 left)
wl1_bw=0
wl1_bw_160=0
wl1_bw_cap=7
wl1_bw_dl=
wl1_bw_enabled=0
wl1_bw_switch_160=2
wl1_bw_ul=

You can try
nvram set wl1_bw=1
commit
service restart_wireless

Can't hurt.

I just set up ky 5ghz-2 to 160mhz and it seems to be working not sure what channel to put on so I put it on 108 but noticed some other networks on channel 100. Would I be getting interference? No idea to test this but it seems why have 160mhz if you can't use it -asus say its fine lol

Maybe I need to move to higher channels to see of I get dfs issues. Maybe 120+ channels

I just set up ky 5ghz-2 to 160mhz and it seems to be working not sure what channel to put on so I put it on 108 but noticed some other networks on channel 100. Would I be getting interference? No idea to test this but it seems why have 160mhz if you can't use it -asus say its fine lol

Maybe I need to move to higher channels to see of I get dfs issues. Maybe 120+ channels

Get ready to be knocked offline for 10 mins everytime weather radar is detected :)

i get best results using 80 MHZ using channel 150 up on my AX1100Pro did not get good results using 160MHZ might be due to distance / obstacles 40 feet a few walls and doors

i get best results using 80 MHZ using channel 150 up on my AX1100Pro did not get good results using 160MHZ might be due to distance / obstacles 40 feet a few walls and doors

Doubling channel width, e,g 20-> 40 or 80 -> 160 is a 3 dB hit on tx, and a 3 dB on rx - so a 6 dB hit overall...

Also consider it's a 10logR loss rate due to spreading based on range.

In short - narrower the channel, better the range, and there's a cross over where narrower channels will allow better rates...

You could always wrap your home in a Faraday cage... just make sure you have WiFi calling first :D

My house has aluminum siding, my indoor signal is great, single router covers 3 floors. Cell signal manages to make it in through the windows :)

When they switched from lath to chicken wire for plaster, those houses have terrible issues with wifi. Pretty much the ideal faraday cage on every wall in your house.

Look at this site.

try merlin firmware, it saved my life from sporadic reboots with Asus-wrt on my AXE16000 and the syslog is a lot more verbose … you may have some « radar detected » sentences in your syslog.

it seems that the Asus kernel is too old and buggy, a lot of problems comes from that. Someone try to contact Linux community to have some help about kernel panic etc … and the community said that the kernel version is too old and the problem was resolved since.

it seems that Merlin updates some essentials libraries and make some tweaks that can help with the security and stability of the router so I recommend Merlin firmware.
in general the community is more reactive cos I think Asus make some great hardware since years (my first motherboards in 92 where Asus and it was the leader already) but for coding it is another thing …

Look at this site.

try merlin firmware, it saved my life from sporadic reboots with Asus-wrt on my AXE16000 and the syslog is a lot more verbose … you may have some « radar detected » sentences in your syslog.

it seems that the Asus kernel is too old and buggy, a lot of problems comes from that. Someone try to contact Linux community to have some help about kernel panic etc … and the community said that the kernel version is too old and the problem was resolved since.

it seems that Merlin updates some essentials libraries and make some tweaks that can help with the security and stability of the router so I recommend Merlin firmware.
in general the community is more reactive cos I think Asus make some great hardware since years (my first motherboards in 92 where Asus and it was the leader already) but for coding it is another thing …

Where they sporadic reboots or just your wifi going into 3 or 10 minute scans due to DFS channel requirements?

People need to get used to the fact that 160mhz on 5ghz is basically 40mhz on 2.4ghz. Not terribly useful in most situations. That's why it isn't enabled by default.

No, that was real reboot every 7, 15, 27 min (really random) of the router (complete system restart) uptime reset to zero. But no reason logged in the Asuswrt syslog cos it isn’t enough verbose I think. With the Merlin one problems has simply disappeared since more than one week.

But I tried some channels test with the 160 mhz enable on the 5-2g antenna (for the 5-1 no problem) and I was booted by a « radar detected« in the syslog that downgraded my channel to 80mhz.

Another issue I have experienced with the axe16000 (with my old gt-ac5300 too) is that If don’t specify manually a « free » channel on the 5-2 (over 100) and let the router specify one in auto mode, the antenna hang: no ssid found and the antenna simply doesn’t work at all. (For you information I live near a big airport in Europe)

for further explanations of the sporadic reboots I’ve experienced, take a look at my post about it a few days ago.

Last edited:
No, that was real reboot every 7, 15, 27 min (really random) of the router (complete system restart) uptime reset to zero. But no reason logged in the Asuswrt syslog cos it isn’t enough verbose I think. With the Merlin one problems has simply disappeared since more than one week.

But I tried some channels test with the 160 mhz enable on the 5-2g antenna (for the 5-1 no problem) and I was booted by a « radar detected« in the syslog that downgraded my channel to 80mhz.

Another issue I have experienced with the axe16000 (with my old gt-ac5300 too) is that If don’t specify manually a « free » channel on the 5-2 (over 100) and let the router specify one in auto mode, the antenna hang: no ssid found and the antenna simply doesn’t work at all. (For you information I live near a big airport in Europe)

for further explanations of the sporadic reboots I’ve experienced, take a look at my post about it a few days ago.

If Auto is choosing a weather radar channel it can take up to 10 minutes to come online (if it does at all). 160Mhz is tough especially in Europe.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!