What's new

AX-86U networks disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phillipdhall

New Around Here
Hi there happy people!

I have a AX-86U running Merlin, purchased in hopes of some stability, not more than a couple weeks old. Everything seemed okay at first, but I found smart devices that required 2.4G were intermittently unable to connect. So I disabled SmartConnect and split the SSIDs. Today, as I watch in wifi analyzer on my Android, the 2.4 GHz networks (main and guest) are just not broadcasting half of the time. They'll come on for a while after I reboot the router, then a few minutes later they are gone. At one point, it was my 5G networks that shut off, and since I'd disabled smart connect, the whole family lost internet and were all naturally very patient while I troubleshot [/sarcasm].

I live on an acre of land, and am testing 6 feet from my router, so I would be surprised if the weak signals from neighbors are causing issues.

I've looked through logs (currently set to log only messages more urgent than notice), but honestly don't know what I'm looking for. There aren't any egregious looking errors. I can't even see evidence of radios starting and stopping. I changed to log only messages more urgent than info, will see if that tells me anything more...

I had similar issues with the RAX50 I returned for this and a DNS issue... is it common for unreliable radios / poor quality control, or is it more likely that I'm breaking it with configuration settings?

Anyone have suggestions, or known good configurations to suggest?

Have you tried statics channels and frequency, for example for 2.4ghz I use channel 11 @ 20mhz and for 5ghz I use 64 @ 40/80/160mhz

Thanks @BreakingDad , I did have 2.4 locked already (channel 1 @ 20mhz), but 5g was auto. I went ahead and locked it in at channel 64 @ 80mhz. As radios rebooted, nothing visible, then 2.4g networks showed up, then they disappeared when 5g came up, than after 5+ minutes they are all broadcasting again... oh no wait, the guest network just vanished... and there goes the other 2.4g network...

Hi there happy people!

I have a AX-86U running Merlin, purchased in hopes of some stability, not more than a couple weeks old. Everything seemed okay at first, but I found smart devices that required 2.4G were intermittently unable to connect. So I disabled SmartConnect and split the SSIDs. Today, as I watch in wifi analyzer on my Android, the 2.4 GHz networks (main and guest) are just not broadcasting half of the time. They'll come on for a while after I reboot the router, then a few minutes later they are gone. At one point, it was my 5G networks that shut off, and since I'd disabled smart connect, the whole family lost internet and were all naturally very patient while I troubleshot [/sarcasm].

I live on an acre of land, and am testing 6 feet from my router, so I would be surprised if the weak signals from neighbors are causing issues.

I've looked through logs (currently set to log only messages more urgent than notice), but honestly don't know what I'm looking for. There aren't any egregious looking errors. I can't even see evidence of radios starting and stopping. I changed to log only messages more urgent than info, will see if that tells me anything more...

I had similar issues with the RAX50 I returned for this and a DNS issue... is it common for unreliable radios / poor quality control, or is it more likely that I'm breaking it with configuration settings?

Anyone have suggestions, or known good configurations to suggest?

It is normal for the WiFi signals to be strong and steady... as you might expect.

Having 'similar issues with the RAX50' is a puzzle... poor power? radio interference from a nearby cordless device? Perhaps try a different power circuit in the house.

Ignoring the puzzle, I have re-flashed firmware to solve radio drops, so you could try that. And let it settle a bit before you configure it.

OE

Last edited:
Maybe the DFS channel 64 on the 5Ghz is somehow affecting the 2.4Ghz channel 1? Doesnt DFS if it detects radar have to stop broadcasting.

Thanks @BreakingDad , I did have 2.4 locked already (channel 1 @ 20mhz), but 5g was auto. I went ahead and locked it in at channel 64 @ 80mhz. As radios rebooted, nothing visible, then 2.4g networks showed up, then they disappeared when 5g came up, than after 5+ minutes they are all broadcasting again... oh no wait, the guest network just vanished... and there goes the other 2.4g network...
For 5GHz, if you want use 80MHz only and not 160MHz, choose non DFS channel [(36-48) and (149-161)] for fast 5GHz wifi start to broadcast.

If use DFS channel [(52-64) and (100-144)], the wifi will check for weather radar or airport radar first for 1 minute and then it will broadcast the wifi if both of them not exist in that area.

For 5GHz, if you want use 80MHz only and not 160MHz, choose non DFS channel [(36-48) and (149-161)] for fast 5GHz wifi start to broadcast.

If use DFS channel [(52-64) and (100-144)], the wifi will check for weather radar or airport radar first for 1 minute and then it will broadcast the wifi if both of them not exist in that area.
Tried switching to 44 @80mhz. No improvement.

One thing I've been thinking about is that in both cases, I kept the 2.4ghz SSID the same as it was before turning off Smart Connect, hoping to avoid having to reconfigure a dozen IoT devices one at a time. But I have some 5ghz capable devices that I haven't configured to the new 5ghz SSID yet, still connecting to the 2.4ghz network. Is there anything in the protocol negotiation where the client is expecting to see 5ghz on that SSID, and somehow affecting the 2.4ghz radio? I don't know... don't think that makes any technical sense.

I will take @OzarkEdge suggestion to reflash firmware next. When I reconfigure, I'll use distinct new 2.4 and 5ghz SSIDs with Smart Connect disabled.

Fingers crossed.

Tried switching to 44 @80mhz. No improvement.
Have you change region in Wireless Professional Setting and set it to your country?

Channel 44 is not available to choose in the The United States region.

I'll use distinct new 2.4 and 5ghz SSIDs with Smart Connect disabled.

I think this is a good starting point since you are steering your clients to one band manually (ssid-24 or ssid-50)... one less connection variable. Later, you can enable Smart Connect with same SSIDs (ssid) and be better able to compare/judge how your clients behave.

OE

Have you change region in Wireless Professional Setting and set it to your country?

Channel 44 is not available to choose in the The United States region.
This definitely raised my eyebrow, but unfortunately I don't have the option to change region. All channels appear to be available to me. Mine was made in Vietnam in 2020... I purchased on Amazon and do live in the US. I can't seem to find a way to identify my region. Is it possible that I have a wrong-region router causing issues on my network?

This definitely raised my eyebrow, but unfortunately I don't have the option to change region. All channels appear to be available to me. Mine was made in Vietnam in 2020... I purchased on Amazon and do live in the US. I can't seem to find a way to identify my region. Is it possible that I have a wrong-region router causing issues on my network?

I have a US 2020 Vietnam AC86U. There is no setting for country/region. All or some of these 5.0 channels are available depending on the bandwidth selection:

1615861779912.png

OE

I'm already forgot if it is available to change in official firmware. Right now I'm using latest Beta Merlin firmware and can change that.

I had some issues and concerns with the recent Merlin firmware and went back to the Asus beta release for the AX86U and AC86U mesh mode. For some unexplained reason the throughput on 100/100 fiber is better than ever with download speeds reaching 110 Mbps! I do use Dual Band SmartConnect with fixed channels and WPA2. I too got the AX86U from Amazon.

Do you have universal Beamforming disabled? I have a couple 2.4ghz wifi cameras that wouldn't stay connected until I disabled that. You can keep the other beamforming enabled. I haven't turned off Smart Connect yet but I do have 2.4 locked in on channel 6 and 20mhz. My 2.4 smart devices seem to be working better than before now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!