What's new

AX11000 2.5 wan port speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PureSpeed

Occasional Visitor
So I have 2 gig fiber from frontier fios. I cannot for the life of me get this router to give me the proper upload speeds. Download speeds are spot on no issues at all. I have the latest Merlin firmware build installed as well. I even contacted Asus and got a replacement and same issue I average only about 1200mbps on the upload. Frontier has checked the line and that’s fine. Ont was replaced as well and the problem persists. Anyone else have this issue with this model?

Welcome to the forums @PureSpeed.

How are you testing?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want to use? Without using a saved backup config file afterward?

What are you using for Ethernet cable between the ONT and router? CAT5e should be used at a minimum. The cabling standard (TIA/EIA 568a or 568b) used should be the same throughout the run from the ONT to the router if there are wall jacks or patch panels used. If you make up your own cables use the correct connectors (plane old RJ45 connectors may not be good enough). You may want to use CAT6 connectors.
To me it seems unlikely that two new routers would suffer from the same problem. If you have a PC with a 2.5 GB Ethernet port connect that to the same cabling you connect to the router and try the test again.

Thanks for the reply

I have cat 6A running to that 2.5 port directly from the the 10gb port on the ont the cable has been checked and it’s working fine. I have heard that that some of the ROG branded routers have the same issue including the new GT-AX6000. Something about the 2.5 port not negotiating correctly. I don’t think it’s a hardware problem but more of a software issue. Unfortunately there hasn’t been any new firmware releases from Asus since January for this router and Merlin’s last update was in March.

Something about the 2.5 port not negotiating correctly.

Does the router System Status show a 2.5Gbps WAN connection?

1654192739083.png

OE

Yes shows 2.5 connected and I’m testing it with a laptop Ethernet right from my ont and speed is fine there. Once I put the AX11000 back into the mix download speeds are fine upload speeds average around 1200 to 1300mbps on occasion it will toss me a 1500mbps my download is always 2100 to 2300mbps

Yes shows 2.5 connected and I’m testing it with a laptop Ethernet right from my ont and speed is fine there. Once I put the AX11000 back into the mix download speeds are fine upload speeds average around 1200 to 1300mbps on occasion it will toss me a 1500mbps my download is always 2100 to 2300mbps

Seems like the 2.5 WAN port is negotiating correctly. And it sounds like the slowdown is in the router. Did you happen to test the router in its default configuration? Did you try the built-in speed test under Adaptive QoS?

I wonder if anyone with that router has measured 2Gbps upload speed. That router does have both 2.5 WAN and 2.5 LAN ports, yes?

OE

Last edited:
I did try the built in speed test download 2250 average and upload average 1200 as well. Although right now speed is a little bit less as the frontier Tampa speedtest is down so it’s hopping off a Miami server apparently that’s a known issue right now and has been since last Thursday when frontier went down for about an hour in the Tampa area and again went down for 8 hours very early yesterday morning. It’s a weird issue I asked Asus if it can do 2gbps upload and never got any response from them and that was a month ago. It is quite possible it can’t do 2gig upload which would be interesting.

It is quite possible it can’t do 2gig upload which would be interesting.

That is pushing the curve for consumer use... hopefully another user can add to this investigation.

OE

That router does have both 2.5 WAN and 2.5 LAN ports, yes?
The AX11000 for some strange reason only has one 2.5gb port that can be used as either WAN or LAN, all the others are 1gb

The AX11000 for some strange reason only has one 2.5gb port that can be used as either WAN or LAN, all the others are 1gb

Then it's going to be somewhat of a bottle neck for 2Gbps Internet service, yes?

OE

Then it's going to be somewhat of a bottle neck for 2Gbps Internet service, yes?

OE
Yes. Doesn't affect me, I'm on 1gbps (for now anyway) and it wasn't something that I paid much attention to when I bought the router but now I can't help thinking it's a bit of a bizarre addition. 2 ports would have made much more sense lol

So I have 2 gig fiber from frontier fios. I cannot for the life of me get this router to give me the proper upload speeds. Download speeds are spot on no issues at all. I have the latest Merlin firmware build installed as well. I even contacted Asus and got a replacement and same issue I average only about 1200mbps on the upload. Frontier has checked the line and that’s fine. Ont was replaced as well and the problem persists. Anyone else have this issue with this model?
I have the AX11000 Router. It works perfectly find and able to saturate the 2.5G Download and upload speeds if pushed. The problem is there is only 1 2.5G port as has been mentioned by @andy_3_913 that can be used for either LAN or WAN, meaning if you plug the modem into that port, it will be able to use the full speed of the 2.5Gbps port to achieve those speeds, but going to devices, they will only achieve 1Gbps as all the other ports are on 1Gb. So technically only one device can give that full speed up to 2.5Gbps. There is a slight option though as you can use link aggregation to bond 2 of the 1Gbps ports together for a theoretical 2Gbps lane of speed. You will need either for that modem to support that feature as well or get a switch that supports it and you can than reach download/upload speeds up to 2Gbps. The other option would be to purchase the AXE11000 Wireless Router which also has 2 10Gbps ports and still gives you near identical features as the AX11000 sibling with the exception of also adding a 6Ghz radio.

OE
It can be, but the AX11000 also supports link bonding for 2 of the 1Gb ports allowing for a 2Gbps lane using 2 of the ports. Just need either a modem or a switch/device that also supports link aggregation/bonding on the other side as well.

It can be, but the AX11000 also supports link bonding for 2 of the 1Gb ports allowing for a 2Gbps lane using 2 of the ports. Just need either a modem or a switch/device that also supports link aggregation/bonding on the other side as well.

Good point... I forget all these details!

Me, I tend to ignore the more niche functionality, especially with consumer equipment/firmware, to keep it simple. In this case and with 200Mbps service, I don't think twice about such features. If necessary, I'd spend more for an out-of-box hardware solution, i.e. multigig ports, if available, and be done with it. But I digress. :)

OE

So can you link 3 ports to achieve the full 2.5 gig bandwidth? Is there enough backplane?

I assume you are using a switch chip but maybe not and you are using the cpu.

So can you link 3 ports to achieve the full 2.5 gig bandwidth? Is there enough backplane?

I assume you are using a switch chip but maybe not and you are using the cpu.
You cannot link 3 ports, but can link 2 ports to at least achieve 2Gbps lane for another device or if connected to a switch that also supports link aggregation (802.3ad), you can have multiple devices connect with and make use of that 2Gbps bandwidth. Since there is only one 2.5Gbps port, though, it really makes it impossible to get multiple devices at 2.5Gbps. I mean you could also get a multigig switch and link it to that port, but on the other side you still get either 1Gbps per port or with link bonding, have 1 2Gbps lane using 2 ports. It also begins adding extra layers of complication.

In my setup I actually now have a custom firewall rackmount router that has an Intel I350 with 4 1Gbps ports and another card with Dual 2.5Gbps ports. The Wireless AX11000 Router is in AP mode and connected on both ends at 2.5Gbps for full bandwidth. My other devices connect at various 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps speeds. I plan an upgrade possibly towards the end of the year that will see a massive upgrade with the old Intel Q6600 Quad-Core CPU/G41MT/4GB DDR3 combo being replaced with a Ryzen 5 5600G/B550M/16GB DDR4 setup and possibly adding an Intel X540/X550 Dual 10G card into the mix.

What I was mentioning with that Asus router though is using its build in features to still take advantage of as much performance and bandwidth without getting to complicated, since the features I mention are built into the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!