What's new

AX11000/AC86U Mesh needs daily reboots - help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jazbrokr

Occasional Visitor
First of all, appreciate this forum, been reading many posts trying to get to the bottom of my router issues As well as optimization tips. Here is my problem.... I have an AX11000 and an AC86U (in the basement) setup in Mesh mode. I use Ethernet backhaul as the basement is a soundproof studio and gets terrible signal. Plus Ethernet is better. :)

For as long as I can remember, I would have frequent situations were the internet would freeze for a bit, or outright be totally down. This got worse over the summer. I always ran optimized settings (as suggested here ) and the latest official firmware. Sometime in the summer, it got worse. I would lose connection on practically a daily basis where only a reboot of the 11000 would fix things, I would get a password incorrect errror if trying to connect to any of the Wi-Fi bands. I do not run smart connect fwiw. I use Xfinity gig speed internet and I have their XB7 in bridge mode. I have changed modems twice in the troubleshooting process, once to an XB6.

i reached out to Asus two months ago and after many calls they tell me to RMA the router, on them. So I sent in the AX11000 for replacement. While it was out, I used my AC86 and it never failed, not once. ( no net in basement though). When I got back the new AX11000, I reset the AC86 and reset up the mesh. it worked for days perfectly, until I realized that I accidentally forgot to plug in the Ethernet backhaul. The mesh was wireless backhaul, albeit with no speed due to bad signal, but it never crashed. Literally two hours after setting up Ethernet backhaul the 11000 needed a reboot! I then came on here and discovered the beta AI Mesh 2.0 firmware. I installed it but no luck. Still needs reboots! However, no reboot in about 36 hours as of now. Usually everyday.....

i escalated to Asus with the logs but I am not optimistic as their tech support so far has been maybe the worst I ever encountered! So, do3s anyone have any advice or experience with these symptoms? Would setting up as an access point maybe be better?

Any and all help much appreciated!

Thanks

First of all, appreciate this forum, been reading many posts trying to get to the bottom of my router issues As well as optimization tips. Here is my problem.... I have an AX11000 and an AC86U (in the basement) setup in Mesh mode. I use Ethernet backhaul as the basement is a soundproof studio and gets terrible signal. Plus Ethernet is better. :)

For as long as I can remember, I would have frequent situations were the internet would freeze for a bit, or outright be totally down. This got worse over the summer. I always ran optimized settings (as suggested here ) and the latest official firmware. Sometime in the summer, it got worse. I would lose connection on practically a daily basis where only a reboot of the 11000 would fix things, I would get a password incorrect errror if trying to connect to any of the Wi-Fi bands. I do not run smart connect fwiw. I use Xfinity gig speed internet and I have their XB7 in bridge mode. I have changed modems twice in the troubleshooting process, once to an XB6.

i reached out to Asus two months ago and after many calls they tell me to RMA the router, on them. So I sent in the AX11000 for replacement. While it was out, I used my AC86 and it never failed, not once. ( no net in basement though). When I got back the new AX11000, I reset the AC86 and reset up the mesh. it worked for days perfectly, until I realized that I accidentally forgot to plug in the Ethernet backhaul. The mesh was wireless backhaul, albeit with no speed due to bad signal, but it never crashed. Literally two hours after setting up Ethernet backhaul the 11000 needed a reboot! I then came on here and discovered the beta AI Mesh 2.0 firmware. I installed it but no luck. Still needs reboots! However, no reboot in about 36 hours as of now. Usually everyday.....

i escalated to Asus with the logs but I am not optimistic as their tech support so far has been maybe the worst I ever encountered! So, do3s anyone have any advice or experience with these symptoms? Would setting up as an access point maybe be better?

Any and all help much appreciated!

Thanks

Any clues in the General Log?

Can you try using a different/factory built cable for the wired backhaul, even if this means locating the AC86U where you don't need or want it... to rule out the Ethernet going to the basement?

OE

I wish I knew how to read it. I sent it to Asus. The Ethernet cable is wall fished. Been reliable in every setting for over ten years. I had a switch there and never had any issues when I had my old setup or with my PC there. I can try a different cable after I hear back from Asus. Hopefully in a few days. Really perplexing issue! I feel strongly it is a mesh bug With Ethernet backhaul enabled. Question is whether setting the 86 up as an access point would not fix the issue with zero cons to it.
Any clues in the General Log?

Can you try using a different/factory built cable for the wired backhaul, even if this means locating the AC86U where you don't need or want it... to rule out the Ethernet going to the basement?

OE

At the very least, take a backup of the settings, put them safely with the version of the firmware you're using now and do a full reset to factory defaults to both routers, after flashing the latest firmware available.

If the symptoms persist, simply flash the saved version, reset the router and import the saved backup config file to get back to where you are now.

I will try it.... I did however just receive a replacement AX11000 from Asus and have the same exact issues. Different firmware, and I did not install old settings. I just set it up fresh. The AC86 was also reset before putting it back as a node. Maybe the reset will work... just not very optimistic.

At the very least, take a backup of the settings, put them safely with the version of the firmware you're using now and do a full reset to factory defaults to both routers, after flashing the latest firmware available.

If the symptoms persist, simply flash the saved version, reset the router and import the saved backup config file to get back to where you are now.

So five days of no reboots since I disabled airtime fairness and universal beam forming. I thought I had these disabled, but they were not. On the non beta firmware, I think they were disabled. Odd.... is it possible either of these could cause the need for daily reboots due to total crash of the router? Remember, this is a brand new replacement unit so not the hardware. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!