What's new

AX11000 Pro QOS oddities

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dragbug

New Around Here
Recently bought the AX11000 Pro (returned the AXE7800 because of the lack of gaming features and no Merlin support) and installed the latest Merlin firmware and wanted to setup Adaptive QOS because I like to have lag free gaming. I am coming from an RT-AC5300 that seemed to struggle with all of the devices now connected to it. Anyway, I noticed that neither my Xbox or my SmartTV running GeForce Now would show up under Gaming in Tracked Connections. Instead it was showing up under W-F-H. I thought that was odd but shrugged and set W-F-H as priority. This is where the oddity started coming in. When I went back to check the Tracked Connections while I was gaming, they were showing under Web Surfing. Huh? So I rebooted the router just to make sure. When the router came back up I started playing games again and checked the Tracked Connections and now it was showing under Gaming......WTF? I selected Gaming as Priority and rebooted...started playing and watched traffic and now it reverted back to W-F-H.

I installed FlexQOS after this amazing cluster and that didn't help and if anything, just confused me even more. FYI, my internet is cable 500/50. Am I doing something wrong? Is QOS really that f'd up on ASUS devices? QOS seemed to work ok on the AC5300 but that thing just didn't seem to be able to keep up as well with all of the devices added after all these years since purchasing plus, it was time to upgrade to wifi 6...finally.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I installed FlexQOS

FlexQoS is not guaranteed to work on your router:

I would try Cake QoS. Your router can process about 400Mbps or more. A little speed loss, but perhaps better results. Use QoS only if you have issues. Otherwise you only hurt yourself. You can't fix latency to game servers with your end device. Don't waste your time with online bufferbloat tests.

I might give Cake QoS a try. But if the stock QoS is this borked, will using Cake even make a difference?

Test and see what works for you and if it’s needed at all. No universal best settings.

FlexQoS is not guaranteed to work on your router:
seems AX11000 Pro is supported as superkind @dave14305 update it on December 2022:
Also there was a problem with plain AdaptiveQos at December 2022, hoping new firmware has solved it.

I installed FlexQOS
I'm a gamer and i had your same bufferbloat's problems with my previous connection. I can only say that CakeQoS is not good for gaming lag spykes, it's better to configure FlexQos giving right settings. First you have to delete any device in game mode, then in Flex customizazion Iptable rules set Xbox and Smart TV IP's as gaming devices (no ports needed) and also you have to setup correct limitations in category in Bandwidth table (i'll post here mine previous table). Then, try to setup the correct WAN packet overhead (ask your ISP) and give a try both fq_codel and Asus scripts (use cable to your Xbox or Smart Tv and try to play online, don't use bufferbloat testers online as we are focusing only on gaming devices). Also for ping lag spykes is good to setup the correct MTU (ask your ISP) and best DNS service on your console/TV. There's no "best setting" for FlexQoS but give it a try and "play" with these.

PS: check in FlexQos Menù download/upload list if you're devices are always identified as gaming devices, if not there's still problems with plain AdaptiveQoS from Asus on your router.
Last try is to deactivate FC as in AX router's seems to bug FlexQoS. (mine AX86U-Pro doesn't needed it, don't know why).

Have you ever tried without QoS as your connection seems pretty good? If anything helps, give a try to CakeQos as last resort

Attachments

• IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I've been experimenting with Geforce Now and QOS quite a lot, and eventually decided to use it without QOS. Asus QOS indeed classifies the GFN traffic as W-F-H for some reason, but looks like that's because a native GFN app uses the Real Time Streaming Protocol for streaming. When using GFN from a browser, it uses HTTPS, and that's why you may see it classified as Web Surfing. However, I think that some of their servers are recognized as Gaming by QOS, so when you connect to that server, it is classified correctly.

Generally speaking, Asus shows terrible inconsistency in classifying the GFN traffic. It's just a shame that they ignore one of the most common gaming services. However, this is generally a feature of Asus, they cannot bring many features to mind, and these features remain only partly working for many years (but they keep adding new features that eventually face the same fate!). Their firmware gives the impression of a very mediocre product where it seems like there are a lot of features, but upon closer inspection, many of them work only occasionally.

Last edited:
Recently bought the AX11000 Pro (returned the AXE7800 because of the lack of gaming features and no Merlin support) and installed the latest Merlin firmware and wanted to setup Adaptive QOS because I like to have lag free gaming. I am coming from an RT-AC5300 that seemed to struggle with all of the devices now connected to it. Anyway, I noticed that neither my Xbox or my SmartTV running GeForce Now would show up under Gaming in Tracked Connections. Instead it was showing up under W-F-H. I thought that was odd but shrugged and set W-F-H as priority. This is where the oddity started coming in. When I went back to check the Tracked Connections while I was gaming, they were showing under Web Surfing. Huh? So I rebooted the router just to make sure. When the router came back up I started playing games again and checked the Tracked Connections and now it was showing under Gaming......WTF? I selected Gaming as Priority and rebooted...started playing and watched traffic and now it reverted back to W-F-H.

I installed FlexQOS after this amazing cluster and that didn't help and if anything, just confused me even more. FYI, my internet is cable 500/50. Am I doing something wrong? Is QOS really that f'd up on ASUS devices? QOS seemed to work ok on the AC5300 but that thing just didn't seem to be able to keep up as well with all of the devices added after all these years since purchasing plus, it was time to upgrade to wifi 6...finally.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post some pics of your FlexQoS setup. Also, ensure the "Learn‐from‐Category" is a the bottom of the list similar to my setup. My setup example is attached with STUN traffic moved to W-f-H.

Also remove any devices if any under Gear acceletor. It should only show as "On" and nothing below it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230825_113828_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230825_113828_Samsung Internet.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20230825_114016_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230825_114016_Samsung Internet.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20230825_123823_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230825_123823_Samsung Internet.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!