What's new

AX3000/AX58U: 160 MHz enabled by default, but no DFS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
I'm setting up someone's RT-AX3000 remotely. They're not very tech savvy, so I can't ask them to install WiFi Analyzer and scan their channels. But I noticed that 160 MHz channel is enabled by default on that router (It wasn't on my RT-AX86U). At the same time "Auto select channel including DFS channels" is unticked by default.

So my question is, how can it do 160 MHz without auto using DFS channels? Why would they enable this by default knowing that some people would have DFS interference? I'm guessing the router would just scale back to DFS-free 80 MHz if there is DFS interference, so there's no disruption? I'm tempted to just disable it and set 80/40/20 by default, but this person will never mess with their settings again and I want to leave it in a futureproof state, in case they get faster (gigabit) internet and 160 MHz-capable devices in the future.

Any idea on how the router can be set up this way and/or recommendations? Thank you.

Edit: It's also on auto channel 40, which doesn't make sense because you can't center a 160 MHz channel on 40. So maybe it's on 80 MHz despite saying 20/40/80/160, and unless you tick the "Auto select including DFS", it won't do 160 MHz.

Last edited:
160MHz is more trouble than it is worth. You have the DFS issues, and also the fact that many devices don't support it. Use 20/40/80 and be done with it for reliable operation.

160MHz is more trouble than it is worth. You have the DFS issues, and also the fact that many devices don't support it. Use 20/40/80 and be done with it for reliable operation.

Yeah, that's what I did. I disabled it and stuck to 20/40/80 with auto channel. I wanted to leave it on for futureproofing purposes, but given that it can never be used without DFS I didn't wanna take the risk that the owner might have issues. Besides, without enabling auto DFS I'm pretty sure it was stuck on 80 anyway.

Edit: It's also on auto channel 40, which doesn't make sense because you can't center a 160 MHz channel on 40.
On Asus routers the channel number represents the primary channel not the centre channel (which some other manufacturers use).