What's new

AX56u/58u or AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I found 2 more reviews on MBReviews that are relevant:
My interpretation of these is:
  1. The RT-AX68U performs about the same speed as the RT-AX56U, comparing the charts.
  2. The older RT-AC68U is on par with both of these units and better at distance
@Tech9 I agree, I see little reason to move from the proven well supported platform (AC68U\1900P). As other posts on the forum have indicated a V3.0 hardware for this product family, I expect it will live on for a few more years.

@L&LD, the insurance and maintenance would be much higher on the Ferrari, New England pot holes and snow would be problematic, but most important, my knees don't like getting out of anything this low. The subaru (dog equiped turbo version) solves it all. The Ferrai would be a hoot though!

And you think that a comparison of a 2015 review is valid to a 2021 review (including all the Wi-Fi environmental differences that have undoubtably shown up since then)?

I don't upgrade hardware on a whim. I need to see a real difference in my network performance.

The RT-N66 was easily surpassed by the RT-AC68U. That one was surpassed by the RT-AC3100. That one is easily surpassed by the RT-AC86U. That was put in perspective by the RT-AX88U. The RT-AX86U (single or two in wired 2.5GbE backhaul AiMesh v2.0 mode) made the RT-AX88U seem quite feeble handling normal network duties.

I don't really care about 'flat out performance' in my own network, I care how responsive it is. The RT-AX86U is the router that gives all the previous router's benefits to me and is the most responsive too.

It's 70sqm place and 2 users with perhaps up to 10 devices. Any router will work, even ISP provided one.

Thank you all, now were getting somewhere.

@Volt , I found the MB Reviews after my post, unfortunately the 56 did not get the scrutiny that the 58 got, but did get a better rating. I also found a broader SNB review here which reference other ASUS and Netgear devices using the same BCM43684 which exhibit a similar dip on 5Ghz. I spent a bit working in semicon (when we had it in this country), and understand grading. Every memory wafer was graded, so yes, very likely.

@Merlin , good point, I guess it depends on how the processes are designed to utilize the cores. This then begs the question, what processes actually use all these nice cores?

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow , I can agree that the BCM6710 is a probably a better chip than the BCM6755; it's spec sheet is thin, but at least it states it's fully WiFi 6 compliant which the BCM6755 is not. I also will agree that the quality\performance of 2x2 devices will vary, but not sure that qualifies them all as paperweights either. The position I was hoping you would argue, indeed prove, is that a give AC or AX 2x2 device will perform better on a 3x3 AP. Sure, it's not "all else being equal", but 3x3 devices are unicorns in my world, and if the tech just leaves the 3rd stream idle, then I consider it superfluous, and yes, would rather have more CPU for VPN. I'm also not saying this is the correct solution for all, no gaming, no 4K streaming, generally 3-4 users with portable devices and a few IOT toys like Alexa or Nest. Zoom is probably the most taxing application, but I AM looking to maximize the usable range.

So, as it appears the BCM43684 may be flawed, for my use case, at basically the same price, is the RTA-X56U any better or worse than the RT-AC68U/AC1900P?

There's lots of people driving Ferrari's in a school zone here, a Subaru will get there just as fast.
Hey stick with the subaru, it may get you there "safer", I say this in accordance to the false sense of security it may bring. I will stick with the AX-68U or AX86U or AX88U.
For those keeping score.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7CK5T5/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJHS3X7/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HM6KJN8/?tag=snbforums-20

What technology? We don’t even know how fast the ISP is in this place. If it’s 100Mbps, good enough for 2 people, any AC router is already fast enough. What is $250 RT-AX86U going to do more than $80 RT-AC66U_B1?

What technology? We don’t even know how fast the ISP is in this place. If it’s 100Mbps, good enough for 2 people, any AC router is already fast enough. What is $250 RT-AX86U going to do more than $80 RT-AC66U_B1?
With that thought maybe you should buy a rt-ac56u, though it is end of life, I am sure it will work for your purpose. Pick one up on ebay for 20 dollars. Or you could pay for the isp rental and possibly never get updates or security patches at all. The very limited support or technology may serve your needs.

RT-AC66U_B1 is actively supported by Asus. New Asuswrt features came to it before RT-AC86U. RT-AC68U is still the main development platform for Asuswrt-Merlin as per RMerlin. What are you talking about?

RT-AC66U_B1 is actively supported by Asus. New Asuswrt features came to it before RT-AC86U. RT-AC68U is still the main development platform for Asuswrt-Merlin as per RMerlin. What are you talking about?
Idk you are the one who brought up the rt-ac66u_b1. I was just suggesting cheaper alternatives that provide the same level of technology.

@Merlin , good point, I guess it depends on how the processes are designed to utilize the cores. This then begs the question, what processes actually use all these nice cores?
Most processes running on a router are single threaded.

Yes, you will. More processes can run (each on their own cores) simultaneously.

Yes, you will. More processes can run (each on their own cores) simultaneously.
The vast majority of those processes use between 0 and 2% of CPU time. You will never see the difference, even if you tried to run some kind of benchmark.

I don't know (or care) about CPU time, but I just know that the RT-AX86U (4 core 1.8GHz CPU) is noticeably more 'capable' in my network use than an RT-AC86U (2 core 1.8GHz CPU).

Idk you are the one who brought up the rt-ac66u_b1. I was just suggesting cheaper alternatives that provide the same level of technology.

Yes, RT-AC66U_B1 is perhaps the best router in sub $100 category. It's supported and proven reliable. You didn't answer my question: What advantages $250 RT-AX86U or $300 AX88U are going to provide to 2 people with 100-200Mbps ISP and up to 10 devices? If it's about technology, perhaps GT-AXE11000 is better for the parent's 70sqm apartment. Straight to Wi-Fi 6E technology, why not? ;)

Yes, RT-AC66U_B1 is perhaps the best router in sub $100 category. It's supported and proven reliable. You didn't answer my question: What advantages $250 RT-AX86U or $300 AX88U are going to provide to 2 people with 100-200Mbps ISP and up to 10 devices? If it's about technology, perhaps GT-AXE11000 is better for the parent's 70sqm apartment. Straight to Wi-Fi 6E technology, why not? ;)
Sounds like to answer that question, you would need to know more specifics about their situation and not assume the RT-AC66U_B1 is the best choice. Afterall we are only providing suggestions for the OP to review. It is ultimately up to them to decide. Like I said, Why waste $100 dollars for a RT-AC66U_B1 just to pay that much for dated technology, when you can get it on ebay for $20-$50 dollars. If we are going to be cheap, let's not waste time with top of the line cheap. Let us stick with simple cheap. What do they need top of the line cheap for?

you would need to know more specifics about their situation

Exactly. Why shoot in the dark with advanced technology? What technology IoT devices use? Do they work?

Why waste $100 dollars for a RT-AC66U_B1 just to pay that much for dated technology, when you can get it on ebay for $20-$50 dollars.

Because RT-AC66U_B1 and RT-AC68U are currently manufactured and supported. Both run the same Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin software like high-end Asus routers. What you suggest off eBay is unsupported and end of life product(s). Do you see the difference now? You didn't answer my second question: If it's about technology alone, why not GT-AXE11000? It supports Wi-Fi 6E. Does your router support Wi-Fi 6E and if not, what are you waiting for? ;)

You're getting me wrong. I like technology, but what I don't like is spending money for nothing.

Last edited:
Exactly. Why shoot in the dark with advanced technology? What technology IoT devices use? Do they work?

Because RT-AC66U_B1 and RT-AC68U are currently manufactured and supported. Both run the same Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin software like high-end Asus routers. What you suggest off eBay is unsupported and end of life product(s). Do you see the difference now? You didn't answer my second question: If it's about technology alone, why not GT-AXE11000? It supports Wi-Fi 6E. Does your router support Wi-Fi 6E and if not, what are you waiting for? ;)

You're getting me wrong. I like technology, but what I don't like is spending money for nothing.
Tech9, while I concur with your supportive spirit of the RT-AC68U for its resiliency as I run several of them as AiMesh Nodes, but with my current setup I run a GT-AX11000, RT AX88U, RTAC3100, RTAC5300 and 3 RT-AC68U. I would say I am adequately supporting current technology at this time.
1626565219103.png

While I support your stance, I do not believe someone who does not need an RT-AC68U should really buy one when there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

For example - Linksys EA6350 AC1200+ Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router, TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (V2), TP-Link AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Router (Archer A6), TP-Link Archer AX10 (AX1500) Wi-Fi 6 Router, or Phicomm K3C AC1900 Dual-Band MU-MIMO Gigabit Router

These can all be bought brand new on amazon for less than the RT-AC66U_B1

Last edited: