What's new

AX58U/AX3000 USB issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dell Ray

Occasional Visitor
Greetings, I have the AX58U/AX3000 wifi router and so far I'm very happy with it. I've had it for a few months and put the Merlin firmware on it shortly after buying it and have not had any issues until now. I can't get it to consistently use a USB drive. I have several, thumb drives, TF card adapters, and various ssd and hdd options and I have tried all of them. It will recognize some of them sometimes but not any of them all the time. Very inconsistent, unpredictable, and annoying. This is my first wifi router with USB capability so I'm not sure what the issue is, the router, firmware, or something I'm doing wrong but I would like to see if I can sort it out because I would like to have it work properly. Any feedback is welcomed and thanks in advance for any.

Welcome to the forums @Dell Ray.

When you flashed the RMerlin firmware, did you (afterward) do a full reset to factory settings?

What firmware are you currently running on it?

I believe so, it was awhile ago but I followed the guide from where I downloaded it and it was an official version. Right now it's 386.1.

USB port intention is to have all the time USB connected :) you use it for example to install and use of amtm modules.

When I try to connect one by one 5-10 pendrives not all are recognized.

I had the similar issue with TF card adapter that after few weeks USB was gone and I need to format it again. I stop to use card adapters.

you should have 1 device connected via USB all the time - if it will be USB 3.0 HDD possible you will need active/ separately power device for it and set FTP/ Samba to get access to it.

That was/is my intention. The only reason I tried a bunch was to see if any of them would stay connected. The ones that do will for a certain amount of time, which I haven't pinned down yet, eventually stop being recognized by the router for some reason. It could be anywhere from a few hours to a few days but it eventually stops them.

So I guess this got side tracked. Back to my original issue, any ideas for a solution? I've tried a few more times with just one USB drive. It's the SSD that I recently replaced from my laptop, it's a WD 256gb m.2 NVMe PCIe in an external enclosure, the drive I want to use all the time but I do have several other options to try if someone has any ideas.

Hmmm, didn't think of the external power issue for the HDD but that doesn't account for the SSD, thumb drives, or TF cards... Anyway as I said, the drive I would ultimately like to use is the 256gb SSD and that's the only one I've tried the past few times after clearing the cache and a hard reset. Still doing the same thing, it recognized it initially and I could put files and folders on there and all my devices were able to use it but a couple days later, no USB drive detected. Play with settings, remove and reinstall and it's there but eventually I get the no drive detected issue.

I have not tried either of those options. I am new to this so please excuse the lack of knowledge. This is my first router any more advanced than just a basic AC750 or equivalent $40 to $60 to get on the internet.

The hibernate was indeed allowed. I changed it to not allow hibernation and it appeared green up in the icon area top right so that is good. I had 2 yellow blinking exclamation alerts for FTP and Samba allowing unauthorized log-in access. I didn't notice if those were already there before I changed the hibernation setting. Are those a condition from that change? Or is that from something else? I did allow the router to fix those issues and not allow the unauthorized access. Again, please excuse the inexperience. Thanks for any input.

Looks like that was the issue, the USB device has been available since I turned off the hibernation option. Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!