What's new

AX58U - wifi failures - defective unit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s weird. I can’t find my box, but I got mine from Best Buy a few weeks ago. I’ve had 0 issues. It’s actually quite boring

Two different check#’s here:
RT2G
6ZKW

BTW...what is the check# ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check # J9X0 : not sure if it is a lot# or individual ID# or like an inspection#(employee#)???

Shipped by slapping the shipping label on the cellophane shrink wrap, no box.
UPS leaves it where it shouldn't be, disregarding sign and address instruction.

Last edited:
That’s weird. I can’t find my box, but I got mine from Best Buy a few weeks ago. I’ve had 0 issues. It’s actually quite boring
Like anything else, there is the occasional manufacturing defect. Might not have been the case here but the behaviors weren't promising, and I want my replacement to last for a few years...

AX58U are not defective, people kept saying this to me and I refused to accept that as it didn't make sense. It's really just their formware being total mess for some bizarre reason. Then I managed to get in touch with someone from ASUS here on this forum and I received a test firmware and it basically resolved all my problems. In my case, AX58U was experiencing severe kernel panics when using Trend Micro features (AIProtection/QoS) with IPTV functionality. As soon as I had both enabled together, basically everything got messed up and broken, IPTV not working, WiFi clients just dropping off and reconnecting every 30 seconds, a complete nightmare. After flashing with that test build, all problems basically disappeared. I'm now at a point where I'm waiting for ASUS to release their official firmware that has this fixed and then Merlin to branch his firmware using this new ASUS source. Until then, I'm forced to use this test version of ASUS stock ROM to even have a functioning router.

@RejZoR thanks for the information. I was actually happy with the design of the AX58, and did not imply there was any issue with the model. It seemed to me that the behavior of my specific unit was inconsistent with my experience on several other ASUS routers, especially in terms of wifi.

Can you comment on whether you are able to see any of the issues I identified above, such as losing 5gHz when there are multiple 2.4gHz guest networks, or the failure to "warm restart" after modifying wifi settings at all?

I actually would have taken a replacement AX58 from BB but that was not offered to me, so I'm leaning toward this being a one-off bad unit, and if I can find a decent price on these will re-purchase.

@RejZoR @dev_null

It might be worth noting that I don't use the AI/Trend Micro in conjunction with the other scripts.

Like anything else, there is the occasional manufacturing defect. Might not have been the case here but the behaviors weren't promising, and I want my replacement to last for a few years...
Yeah, I guess I was just agreeing with you. Something was definitely wrong with that unit.

AX58U are not defective, people kept saying this to me and I refused to accept that as it didn't make sense. It's really just their formware being total mess for some bizarre reason. Then I managed to get in touch with someone from ASUS here on this forum and I received a test firmware and it basically resolved all my problems. In my case, AX58U was experiencing severe kernel panics when using Trend Micro features (AIProtection/QoS) with IPTV functionality. As soon as I had both enabled together, basically everything got messed up and broken, IPTV not working, WiFi clients just dropping off and reconnecting every 30 seconds, a complete nightmare. After flashing with that test build, all problems basically disappeared. I'm now at a point where I'm waiting for ASUS to release their official firmware that has this fixed and then Merlin to branch his firmware using this new ASUS source. Until then, I'm forced to use this test version of ASUS stock ROM to even have a functioning router.

Hello. I bought the same router today from Amazon. firmware 3.0.0.4.384_7739-g6fbdd70 and also for some reason the 5GHz network disappears after a while. I tried to update to the latest firmware from the official site but it fails. I'll try restoring the firmware through the utility later. can you give me also the test firmware that you were given on the asus website?

Hello. I bought the same router today from Amazon. firmware 3.0.0.4.384_7739-g6fbdd70 and also for some reason the 5GHz network disappears after a while. I tried to update to the latest firmware from the official site but it fails. I'll try restoring the firmware through the utility later. can you give me also the test firmware that you were given on the asus website?
I'd forgotten I'd even opened this thread.

At the time I opened it, the device was newly released, so there wasn't much known and only one version of the firmware, so the reply from the other poster(s) was to affirm that other firmware versions were under development by Asus, if not publicly available.

Now there are many several versions available. I would not presume that a version from 2020 will address your issue if a later version does not.

Try the usual: reset, reformat the drive, manually enter entries instead of restoring a backup, etc.

And I'd suggest opening a new thread for your issue, because like me, others may fail to read a two year old thread resurrected.

I'd forgotten I'd even opened this thread.

At the time I opened it, the device was newly released, so there wasn't much known and only one version of the firmware, so the reply from the other poster(s) was to affirm that other firmware versions were under development by Asus, if not publicly available.

Now there are many several versions available. I would not presume that a version from 2020 will address your issue if a later version does not.

Try the usual: reset, reformat the drive, manually enter entries instead of restoring a backup, etc.

And I'd suggest opening a new thread for your issue, because like me, others may fail to read a two year old thread resurrected.
) but you answered. I just wanted to ask. Are you all right now with that router? Or have you already sold it? And on what firmware are you sitting now if you have not sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.