What's new

AX58U - Wifi unstable with Smart home devices (TP-link HS200, HS105 switch etc...)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sp3kt3r

New Around Here
Update : 01/06/2022

I installed the latest AX58U firmware released yesterday (3.0.0.4.386_47029) and so far so good after 4 hours no connection issue which is much better than 5 minutes on the previous firmware
I will monitor and see if it as stable than the firmware (3.0.0.4.386.42095).

-------

Hello,

I don't think I'm the only one with this issue as I have seen other similar posted.
The issue is that since I updated my AX58U with one of the September firmware update, I think it started with Version 3.0.0.4.386.43588 (2021/07/28), I have been having a lots of wifi issue.

I have a lots of Smart device TP-link HS200, HS105 smart switch with a lots of Smartthings devices.
I never had issue before and since the last few month everything is very slow to response from my phone or google voice command. I get a lot connection issue from the router log and also from from the Kasa mobile apps.
I also notice from my router LOG that there is a lots of AUTH & DEAUTH info messages and every time there is one.. it shows the MAC address that being affected and from the client list.. all the devices affect get a access time reset to 00:00 minutes (see exemple below)

tempsnip.jpg

I have opened a thread on TP-link community forum and also with Asus tech support.

I tried all the possible 2.4Ghz wifi settings from recommandation on this forum and never found anything that could make my wifi stable.
Wifi in general was working ok but the router was getting overflooded by the AUTH and DEAUTH messages I felt that the wifi was just slow to response.
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth6: Auth 66:3A:8B:22:BE:B0, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth6: Deauth_ind 66:3A:8B:22:BE:B0, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:0

The only solution I found is to revert back to an older firmware, so far I'm using this one: Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095
With this firmware, I noticed a huge improvement and it's been more than 5 hours without any interruption , even just opening the TP-Link Kasa apps or smartthing apps seems faster because it finds all the device on my network faster (just a small observation)

What is wierd is only a few specific tp-link is having that issue, I have other similar switch that are not affected, probably different revision.
It is not about distance because those that are affected are closer to the router and the signal is very strong.
I know the 2.4ghz is saturated but again never had issue and still working fine with the older firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095.

I waited until Asus released more firmware but still with the latest from December and also with the latest Merlin firmware the problem still occured.

I don't really want to change my router but I also don't want to replace the affected smart switch.
Any recommandation I should try before I decide to replace my asus router with something else which I'm trying to avoid.
My previous router was a TP-link and it was working technically better for 2.4 but it was lacking of 5Ghz performance.

I'll keep this post updated if I receive something from Asus or Tp-link support.

I found similar thread and not sure if OP resolved the issue but based on his last response I don't think so...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/newer-firmware-breaks-tp-link-kasa-switches.75755/

To summary everything:
  • TP-link & other IOT devices (ex: smart switch) not working probably since the last few asus router firmware
  • This cause my whole wifi to be very slow
  • No issue with old firmware
  • Looking for help.
Cheers.

Last edited:
hey!
got the same on my asus ax56u, in my case the iot devices that stopped working were some Daiking ac's. but sonoff's with tasmota, shellys and other IOT stuff also started dropping a lot from the network, the only solution was to go back to an older firmware

I will compare the difference and give a try with the newer firmware.
Asus asked me to provide log between the working firmware and non working firmware which I'm going to do today.
I did try turning off the AX (wifi6) on the 2.4GHZ but not with the newest firmware... the one from december and also with the Merlin firmware which didn't help at all.

It'S been 12 hours running on old firmware and its days and night in term of wifi stability... everything is so smooth across all devices and motion sensor... with newest firmware... my motion or smart light were taking up to 30-40 second to turn on ! and sometime it was crashing the whole WIFI, even my phone.

I really hope Asus will resolve the issue as it appears it's not only with TP-link but has to do with compatibility with some wifi chipset from IOT devices.

Last edited:
Do you see any differences between the wireless and advanced wireless settings for the old and new firmwares?

There are two newer firmwares with the latest just issued yesterday

Disable AX features on 2.4 GHz if you already haven't.

so far great news.... I have been using the latest firmware for 4 hours and no wifi issue ... I will monitor the log and behavior of my IOT devices.

I will also do a reset factory after taking note of all my settings... but I'm using mostly the default settings.. except for AX on 2.4ghz which is off.
I will update the result later.

Last edited:
Anyone have any Nest devices that had issues that were resolved with this Beta?

Do you see any differences between the wireless and advanced wireless settings for the old and new firmwares?

I don't know if Modulation Scheme setting under 2.4GHz Professional settings is an AX feature. But in any case, is there a recommended setting for this?

I don't know if Modulation Scheme setting under 2.4GHz Professional settings is an AX feature. But in any case, is there a recommended setting for this?
My understanding of that setting for 2.4GHz is that anything above MCS 7 does not make sense or is not beneficial. I've got mine set to MCS 7:

G3z0IJf.png

IS a beta in works for the AX88U and ROG 11000 models? Several of us are having the same issues as @Sp3kt3r but with different models. I have a AX88U and get frequent WIFI disassociations using latest late November firmware for several TPLINK Bulbs and a new smart home air purifier. The full descriptions is at:

IS a beta in works for the AX88U and ROG 11000 models? Several of us are having the same issues as @Sp3kt3r but with different models. I have a AX88U and get frequent WIFI disassociations using latest late November firmware for several TPLINK Bulbs and a new smart home air purifier. The full descriptions is at:
I'd hope so, seeing as this does look like something that is impacting all builds with those drivers.

Broadcom's non-standard Turbo/Nitro QAM, helps boosting router specs. Your AX88U's are N1000 on paper.

What's your advice on the 5G band? I thought that in either band the Turbo/NitroQAM automatically defaulted to the "standard" setting, based on if the end device supports it or not. In other words there is no penalty for leaving it on in either the 2.4G or 5G.

Why do you say differently?

damnit ofc its the version AFTER merlin goes final. I bet I have this issue going on as well because I have those auth deauth and although my tp link hs210 and 220s are staying connected it seems and I can control them over network sometimes they are very slow and I have other smart rgb strip lights that have always had funky random disconnects

I see there are new builds for AX86U and AX88U from Asus now. I may try those on my APs to see if it addresses the Nest/IOT/TP-Link connectivity issues. We may have to wait for these to appear in Merlin then.

XD4 3.0.0.4.386.46061 still sucks with Kasa tp-link stuff. constant DHCP requests with these bad firmware even with wifi in legacy mode.

So all my 2.4GHz connectivity issues went away with the new RT-AX88U build. Nest cameras are now super steady.

So all my 2.4GHz connectivity issues went away with the new RT-AX88U build. Nest cameras are now super steady.
Can you give me as much details as you can about the problem device(s) cuz I have hs200,210,220 and 103 and I don't have these issues . I have a different wifi device that gives me issues but it always has . I'll try and help figure out the difference

Can you give me as much details as you can about the problem device(s) cuz I have hs200,210,220 and 103 and I don't have these issues . I have a different wifi device that gives me issues but it always has . I'll try and help figure out the difference
My biggest issue was with all my Nest HD cams (the old 1080p ones - not the IQ ones) and Nest Hello Doorbell. They're all 2.4GHz spectrum ones up here in Canada - prevented from joining 5Ghz bands due to restrictions. They would be going off-line every 10 mins or so. The feed would stop and would eventually come back 10 mins later unless I did a power cycle of the camera to force a re-connect. All my cams are plugged into smart TP-Link plugs to allow a remote restarts.

I have a large amount of HS105 plugs and HS200/HS210 light switches. In the TP-Link app they'd all show up as "local only" and not connected or end up greyed out and showing as not on wifi. They'd come back eventually but it was clear there was a stability issue.

It does seem that Asus did something (or forgot to include some something) in that package with the 2.4GHz wifi drivers seeing that the issue was addressed in the latest release and confirmed when I loaded it on my APs.

Very strange.

Why do you say differently?

You can leave it enabled, but the chances are you'll never have a client to take advantage of it. Leave it enabled if you have wireless AiMesh, the other router may eventually use it. When diagnosing connection issues I prefer settings close to standards. There is no Beamforming and MU-MIMO on 2.4GHz band with G/N clients, for example. There is no TX bursting on 5GHz band or Universal Beamforming.

My biggest issue was with all my Nest HD cams (the old 1080p ones - not the IQ ones) and Nest Hello Doorbell. They're all 2.4GHz spectrum ones up here in Canada - prevented from joining 5Ghz bands due to restrictions. They would be going off-line every 10 mins or so. The feed would stop and would eventually come back 10 mins later unless I did a power cycle of the camera to force a re-connect. All my cams are plugged into smart TP-Link plugs to allow a remote restarts.

I have a large amount of HS105 plugs and HS200/HS210 light switches. In the TP-Link app they'd all show up as "local only" and not connected or end up greyed out and showing as not on wifi. They'd come back eventually but it was clear there was a stability issue.

It does seem that Asus did something (or forgot to include some something) in that package with the 2.4GHz wifi drivers seeing that the issue was addressed in the latest release and confirmed when I loaded it on my APs.

Very strange.
I mean its not super strange , its a bug lol. what firmware versions are the HS200 and 210 on? cuz like I said I have 2 of each and they are and have been connected for a couple days now. and I use google assistant to control them by voice all the time so id know if something was up. i'm not saying your doing something wrong. these drivers are buggy. I just am trying to figure out what that bug is or any pattern that is decernable

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!