What's new

AX68 to AX86

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mario64

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

For some time now I’ve been running dual AX68’s, one as router and the other access point via wired backhaul. They’ve been quite stable and reliable (knock on wood). Anyway, recently I purchased a PlayStation Portal. Despite showing full bars, and even when sitting in the same room as my router or AP, the performance hasn’t been great. My PS5 is hard wired so I’m not sure if this is a wifi issue or PS Portal issue. I was wondering if upgrading to the AX86 would possibly improve performance. Any thoughts on this? Is the 86 faster than the 68?

Thanks,
Mario

Most likely there will be no change. If all other clients work well - this is a specific client issue.

Hi all,

For some time now I’ve been running dual AX68’s, one as router and the other access point via wired backhaul. They’ve been quite stable and reliable (knock on wood). Anyway, recently I purchased a PlayStation Portal. Despite showing full bars, and even when sitting in the same room as my router or AP, the performance hasn’t been great. My PS5 is hard wired so I’m not sure if this is a wifi issue or PS Portal issue. I was wondering if upgrading to the AX86 would possibly improve performance. Any thoughts on this? Is the 86 faster than the 68?

Thanks,
Mario
Why not run the second AX68U as an AiMesh node? With wired backhaul things might improve. Might be worth a try...

my understanding is aimesh is inferior to router+ap. No?

If you don't need Guest Network to the node, Yes Router+AP is the more stable configuration with more user control, potential better roaming adjustment and potential higher aggregate throughput to wireless clients.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. Sounds like I should just leave it alone and chalk this up as a PS portal problem. Shame though. It’s a cool device when the connection is stable.

As far as I understand PlayStation Portal uses proprietary Remote Play connection. It is Wi-Fi, but I don't know if it's through the router or direct to the PlayStation. Reading how it works I'm under impression it has to be connected directly to the PlayStation. Sorry, not a gamer, but check what Portal users say about it.

I’m already using wired backhaul and my understanding is aimesh is inferior to router+ap. No?
I disagree. As I said before, it may be a good idea to try AiMesh. You may be surprised how well it works. Ethernet backhaul works really well. Using a guest WIFI is not the only reason to use AiMesh.

Wired AiMesh node is an AP with preset VLAN for Guest Network, @bbunge. No much Ai magic there. This RT-AX68U model is quirky and if the current setup works well better to not disturb it too much. The issue is around this specific Portal device and how it connects to the PlayStation. I've read some reviews, it's not perfect.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. Sounds like I should just leave it alone and chalk this up as a PS portal problem. Shame though. It’s a cool device when the connection is stable.
Or it's the ethernet cable you're using?

Damaged/stepped on/corroded, or, not to spec?

Fluke's claim that 80% of so-called Cat 6 patch cords were noncompliant seemed surprising, and we wondered whether things had gotten any better -- surely they had? -- since then. With the DTX on the desktop, this became a fairly easy question to answer, and we decided to go shopping.

To start with, of course, the near-unanimity of the results is pretty surprising. Out of twenty cables tested, four met spec, and of those, two did it by a hair. This 80% failure rate is, as it happens, exactly what Fluke reported a few years back, and our sample certainly shows no improvement over that time. Plainly enough, most of these cables aren't designed to meet Cat 6 or 6a specifications, and they're certainly not tested for compliance before leaving the plant.

Of course even Cat5e should be enough for a home connection.

But, consider getting a Blue Jeans Cable, or at least a Monoprice ethernet cable? (Belden and other name brand IT type patch cables should be good to go as well. "Best Buy"? Maybe not so much?

Or it's the ethernet cable you're using?

Unlikely. PlayStation Portal is a handheld portable device. No Ethernet there. The rest of @Mario64 network is fine.

AX86 models have more cores. The AX68 fully piggybacks off the main dual core A53 processor.

AX86's main 4x4 radio has its own A7 NPU. @ 1.5-1.7ghz depending on if you buy a Pro/Non pro variant. 1+4+0 config for U variants. 1+2+0 for S AX86S.

Only real benefit is that the main 5G radio will be more free and less constricted.. doesn't share resources for WL processing.

4x4 also generally offers better range compatibility as clients have more antenna modulation to grab onto.

Might not be any real improvement.. just have to try it out yourself.

You could always media bridge your AX68 to another ASUS router via RJ-45.

Last edited: