What's new

AX8 or RX700 which offers better performance vs the XR500 ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GabrielPhoto

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
So from previous tests I remember seeing the router that the XR500 is based on was actually outperforming the one that the xr700 is based on.
BUT on this page, the XR700 actually beats the XR500 and even compared to the AX8, it seems to provide a more consistent performance:
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/netgear_nighthawk_ax8_review,6.html
Now I trust this website more than the above so I figured I would ask here. :)

So, if I wanted to get more range and speed over my xr500, dont you feel the xr700 is actually a better option? At least based on the results above? Or maybe save for an ax12 if that one has better range than all of the others? Of course I have zero AX gear so this is what I have:

Xfinity Gigabit to my Netgear CM1100
Netgear XR500
Netgear S8000 (switch for my server)
My HTPC has a wireless Asus adapter but I could run a cable from the S8000 switch instead of going wireless for it.
I have Arlo and other Cameras that use 2.4 so 2.4 upload speeds are imporant to me (I think lol).,
Anyways, just wondering if indeed the XR700 will be a solid improvement (as at least the test above shows), or if its a waste of money. The AX8 seems to be less of a balanced performer on that test plus it has no DUMA OS.
Thanks!

the XR500 is based on the R7800, it has almost identical specifications and thus range. Keep in mind that when it comes to range, physical limitations apply too. Of course a badly designed router will have lower range compared to a good design (as is the case of the XR500/R7800). But you can't beat physics at its own game. Meaning, you can't keep extending range indefinitely as physics will stop you. If you need more range, use Access Points or a Mesh network

It is possible the newer XR700 has squeezed more range/performance than the XR500/R7800. As for the AX router, I'd stay away from them as they are not mature enough at this point and you'll be beta testing firmwares with all issues for NETGEAR :)

So looks like its either keep what I have or try the XR700 and forget about the AX stuff for the time being. :) Yeah not having Duma also was not making me happy..plus maybe they will release DUMA versions later on when AX matters more.

The XR700 uses the same WiFi chipset as the R7800/XR500, the R7800 has the greatest 5Ghz performance of all these by a small margin compared to the R9000 (XR700 is based on it) from personal experience and some tests/reviews I have seen in the past. That’s probably due to minor differences in antenna layout.

The XR700 uses the same WiFi chipset as the R7800/XR500, the R7800 has the greatest 5Ghz performance of all these by a small margin compared to the R9000 (XR700 is based on it) from personal experience and some tests/reviews I have seen in the past. That’s probably due to minor differences in antenna layout.
That is indeed what confused me from the test I linked because I recall seeing tests where the X10 lost to the model the xr500 is based on. Yet on the link from my test it was the opposite. Tom's Guide test also shows the XR700 mostly beating the XR500 although they BOTH lose clearly at least at no so far distances to the Archer c2300 and c5400.
So yeah, is hard to know who to trust :/

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!