What's new

Solved AX86U - 2.4ghz band disappears when PC loads

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dilwar

New Around Here
Hello

I have just purchased the AX86U and set it up now with a Virgin Superhub 4 in Modem mode (connected via 2.5G port). The internet works completely fine.

The odd issue in that the 2.4ghz band completely disappears whenever I turn my PC on and it loads into Windows. The 2.4ghz band shows as it goes through the boot screens. My PC is connected via an ethernet cable to LAN Port 1.

I have managed to isolate the issue to my PC as the 2.4ghz band appears when the PC is turned off. I can tell this by using a WiFI analyser app and having the 2.4ghz guest network enabled, which shows the 2.4ghz band on my phone and the app for a moment.

Has anyone encountered something like this before and perhaps provide some possible ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

I have tried the following:
  1. A replacement router - same issue
  2. All the standard troubleshooting, reboot, factory reset, upgraded firmware
  3. Plugged the router into a different power socket/circuit
  4. Split the Smart connect SSIDs
  5. Disabled and enabled 2.4ghz and then 5ghz radio
  6. Enabled 2.4ghz guest network
  7. Changed 2.4ghz channels from 1/6/11 and between 20 and/or 40mhz
  8. Moved ethernet cable to LAN Port 2
If it helps:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme

Hello

I have just purchased the AX86U and set it up now with a Virgin Superhub 4 in Modem mode (connected via 2.5G port). The internet works completely fine.

The odd issue in that the 2.4ghz band completely disappears whenever I turn my PC on and it loads into Windows. The 2.4ghz band shows as it goes through the boot screens. My PC is connected via an ethernet cable to LAN Port 1.

I have managed to isolate the issue to my PC as the 2.4ghz band appears when the PC is turned off. I can tell this by using a WiFI analyser app and having the 2.4ghz guest network enabled, which shows the 2.4ghz band on my phone and the app for a moment.

Has anyone encountered something like this before and perhaps provide some possible ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

I have tried the following:
  1. A replacement router - same issue
  2. All the standard troubleshooting, reboot, factory reset, upgraded firmware
  3. Plugged the router into a different power socket/circuit
  4. Split the Smart connect SSIDs
  5. Disabled and enabled 2.4ghz and then 5ghz radio
  6. Enabled 2.4ghz guest network
  7. Changed 2.4ghz channels from 1/6/11 and between 20 and/or 40mhz
  8. Moved ethernet cable to LAN Port 2
If it helps:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme

Clutching at straws...

Does the PC have WiFi enabled?

When you disconnected the PC from the router LAN, did you notice if the router radio recovered?

OE

Clutching at straws...

Does the PC have WiFi enabled?

When you disconnected the PC from the router LAN, did you notice if the router radio recovered?

OE

No WiFI on PC.

The radio didn't recover when I unplugged the ethernet from the PC and Router.

From this, I suspect it might be a power related issue when the PC loads, it's affecting the router for some reason.

Just wanted to follow up on this... so I bought a third version of the router. It was showing 2.4ghz even while the PC turned on. The only difference was I just connected it without adding the antennas to the router first (in my eagerness to test as quick as possible.

The second I screw the first antenna in, the internet connection drops and the 2.4ghz disappears. I think I have now located the problem...

Final post: It appears that if the antennas are screwed in too tight, the 2.4ghz wireless band completely disappears. I have screwed them in less tight and now I have a working 2.4ghz connection. I hope my (frustrating) experience can help someone in the future.

Last edited:
You are damaging your router(s) by running them without antennae. And then, additionally, attaching the antennae after the router is working.

Today's routers need to access the Wi-Fi environment they are in before all services are ready. You are messing with this self-configuration the router is doing at startup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the very near future routers have AI capabilities to better handle the wide range of environments, they will be subject to.

You are damaging your router(s) by running them without antennae. And then, additionally, attaching the antennae after the router is working.

Today's routers need to access the Wi-Fi environment they are in before all services are ready. You are messing with this self-configuration the router is doing at startup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the very near future routers have AI capabilities to better handle the wide range of environments, they will be subject to.

Thank you. I wasn't aware that attaching it after could damage it. I've turned it off, attached them and now it seems to be stable. Fingers crossed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!