What's new

AX86U 2.5G port speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jnwan

New Around Here
Here are the settings
Router: Asus AX86U
PC: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero with a Realtek 2.5G port

Router's Lan5(2.5G) connects PC's 2.5G port(Realtek 2.5G), but I only get 1G link speed.

PC Bios: Lastest
Router Firmware: Lastest
Realtek 2.5G Driver: Lastest
Cable: Builder claims CAT6

Could anyone help?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 205
  • tempsnip.png
    tempsnip.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 196
Here are the settings

Router's Lan5(2.5G) connects PC's 2.5G port(Realtek 2.5G), but I only get 1G link speed.

Could anyone help?

Is there any 2.5 G LAN port setup required in the router webUI?

OE

Here are the settings

Could anyone help?

May requirer higher Cat cable than the Cat6 you are using.
Edit - cat 5e should actually work so you may want to verify you are using Cat 6.

Last edited:
This 2.5G port could be used as WAN/LAN, default to LAN, I couldn't find anywhere to specify the speed

Test with a different trusted cable.

OE

And also test with different brands/makes of cables too.

At the most, this will only help with latency.

But adding a future 2.5GbE switch to the network will bring the whole (internal) network to another level.

@jnwan, a NAS with 2x 1GbE Ports in LAG won't give you more speed to the single device either. Better to put the NAS on the 2.5GbE Port if it has one too, unless you just buy a 2.5GbE switch, of course.

At the most, this will only help with latency.

But adding a future 2.5GbE switch to the network will bring the whole (internal) network to another level.

@jnwan, a NAS with 2x 1GbE Ports in LAG won't give you more speed to the single device either. Better to put the NAS on the 2.5GbE Port if it has one too, unless you just buy a 2.5GbE switch, of course.
I was planning to add a nas with link aggregation as well and was hoping to get over the max of 1gbe as the SSD in the nas supports higher speeds. The Synology DS220+ i plan to use has Dynamic Load Balancing for link aggregation. Doesnt the AX86U support such feature?

With two or more client devices, the total will be more than 1GbE. Each client though is still limited to what a single connection is capable of.

I don't know if the RT-AX86U has that feature, but to get faster than 1GbE speeds for a single client, you'll need a switch in the network that supports 2.5GbE speeds and higher and then be sure to connect the router via the 2.5GbE port and any client devices through the same switch.

With two or more client devices, the total will be more than 1GbE. Each client though is still limited to what a single connection is capable of.

I don't know if the RT-AX86U has that feature, but to get faster than 1GbE speeds for a single client, you'll need a switch in the network that supports 2.5GbE speeds and higher and then be sure to connect the router via the 2.5GbE port and any client devices through the same switch.
Ok thanks. AX86U supports link aggregation on LAN1 and LAN 2. I have a 2.5gbe ethernet in my PC. That will be connected to the 2.5 gbe port of the router. Then LAN1 and LAN2 of the router will be connected as one to the 2 LAN connections on the NAS. Link aggregation activated for both router and NAS (Dynamic Load Balancing). Isnt that enough for higher speeds on a single device? Thanks.

No. Any single device accessing the NAS will still be limited by physical limits, no matter its (the NAS') link speed. Those are one or the other 1GbE Ethernet connections to the NAS. Dynamic Load Balancing, not aggregation.

Only two or more devices will max out the NAS' output, spread over the number of devices accessing it.

That is why (if possible) it is better to connect the NAS' 2.5GbE Port to the router's 2.5GbE Port instead of to the PC. The throughput of concurrent NAS accesses will be 25% more than with a 2x 1GbE LAG connection.

A single device cannot communicate over the two 'paths' with LAG. It will use one or the other and limited to the speeds of those connections.

Last edited:
No. Any single device accessing the NAS will still be limited by physical limits, no matter its (the NAS') link speed. Those are one or the other 1GbE Ethernet connections to the NAS. Dynamic Load Balancing, not aggregation.

Only two or more devices will max out the NAS' output, spread over the number of devices accessing it.

That is why (if possible) it is better to connect the NAS' 2.5GbE Port to the router's 2.5GbE Port instead of to the PC. The throughput of concurrent NAS accesses will be 25% more than with a 2x 1GbE LAG connection.

A single device cannot communicate over the two 'paths' with LAG. It will use one or the other and limited to the speeds of those connections.
Thanks for this. The option on the synology is called "Dynamic Link Aggregation" is that the same thing? I made a mistake on my previous post.

Guessing, but I would think Dynamic Link Aggregation is the same thing. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!