What's new

AX86U and AT&T 1 gig upload speed problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You're talking about a WiFi interference issue. I'm talking about Ethernet to Ethernet connections. I found no difference between USB 2.0 or 3.0, with or without a USB drive plugged in. The OP said he doesn't have a USB drive plugged into his router.
It's not clear how you're iperf3 testing is being done... are you doing LAN<->LAN, or WLAN<->LAN/WAN?

-- I'm doing WLAN<->LAN
-- Sounds like @road hazard is doing WLAN<->WAN

I've never had a drive plugged into this router (and have no need too) so leaving it in USB 2.0 mode isn't an issue. Just weird that for me, it made a clear difference and is reproducible.
Right, that is weird, I needed a physically attached USB drive, for the WLAN<->LAN throughput to change depending on the router USB 2.0/3.0 setting. Shrugs.

It's not clear how you're iperf3 testing is being done... are you doing LAN<->LAN, or WLAN<->LAN/WAN?

-- I'm doing WLAN<->LAN

My iPerf testing was done every which way but loose. :)

LAN<->LAN
LAN<->WAN and back again (going out to a friend and from his system back into me..... I'm ssh'd into a system at his house)

-- I'm doing WLAN<->LAN
I stated earlier that I was talking about LAN to LAN. We've never mentioned WLAN (WiFi).

My iPerf testing was done every which way but loose. :)

LAN<->LAN
LAN<->WAN and back again (going out to a friend and from his system back into me..... I'm ssh'd into a system at his house)
LAN<->LAN/WAN iperf3 is being affected by the USB 2.0/3.0 setting?? My apologies, too much coffee this morning and W/LAN references turned to WLAN in my head.

Ok, that is def not happening for me. I can only iperf3 WLAN/LAN<->LAN, and LAN<->LAN is always ~940Mbps; I'm only seeing a difference on WLAN<->LAN.

Last edited:
I've never had a drive plugged into this router (and have no need too) so leaving it in USB 2.0 mode isn't an issue. Just weird that for me, it made a clear difference and is reproducible.
Weird indeed. I know that there are versions on the RT-AX86U that have different switch chips in them. But even so, I can't think why a USB port setting (that doesn't have a device connected to it) would have any impact on the switch. Oh well, at least you've got a workaround.

Weird indeed. I know that there are versions on the RT-AX86U that have different switch chips in them. But even so, I can't think why a USB port setting (that doesn't have a device connected to it) would have any impact on the switch. Oh well, at least you've got a workaround.

I hear ya! Makes no sense at all. Once my account is approved for posting on Asus's site, I'm going to mention it over there.

If you have access to a Linux machine then you can inspect your NIC for tx/rx errors, to see if they accumulate as you run iperf3 tests.

Bash:
ethtool -S <eno1> | grep <rx,tx>

To me, this indicates that the router (and the other one you tried with identical results) isn't in a good/known state.

You never responded if you did a full reset from post 8, or, if you are using a saved backup config file if you did.

If fully resetting the router (and fully resetting multiple times and with as many different methods as possible, without using a backup config file) doesn't get the router to perform as expected, then I would consider it a hardware issue and get it returned.

To me, this indicates that the router (and the other one you tried with identical results) isn't in a good/known state.

You never responded if you did a full reset from post 8, or, if you are using a saved backup config file if you did.

If fully resetting the router (and fully resetting multiple times and with as many different methods as possible, without using a backup config file) doesn't get the router to perform as expected, then I would consider it a hardware issue and get it returned.

The days, and the actions I've taken over those days, are starting to blur together :) . But yes, I have done factory resets (with initialization) several times lately. It all comes down to that USB mode option. In 3.0 mode, 50% reduction in upload speeds. In 2.0 mode, full speed. Maybe my router is indeed defective because none of this makes sense. As somebody else pointed out, maybe the day my AX86U was made at the factory, they used a different batch of chips or motherboards and USB 3.0 access (when enabled) stressed things to the point of crippling performance elsewhere?!

I'm having a similar issue with my X86U & S and would like to try the USB mode change, but don't see any options in the Firmware to do this. I am using the Asus official Firmware ending in 49599. Do I need to switch to Merlin to see this option

Never Mind, I found it under Administration>System>USB settings. Set USB mode to USB2.0, the router rebooted after clicking apply, but unfortunately at least using the built in speed tester, I still have the same issue. Depending on the testing location I get anywhere from 400 - 750 MBS down and about 300 - 400 MBS up.

Never Mind, I found it under Administration>System>USB settings. Set USB mode to USB2.0, the router rebooted after clicking apply, but unfortunately at least using the built in speed tester, I still have the same issue. Depending on the testing location I get anywhere from 400 - 750 MBS down and about 300 - 400 MBS up.
Try the beta for AX86U/S

Try the beta for AX86U/S

This beta may have some issues we don't know about, because AX88U stable release 20499 after the same beta was quickly fixed 5 days later with 20518. At the same time AX86U still has no stable 388 code release. Asus is obviously fixing something on it.

This beta may have some issues we don't know about, because AX88U stable release 20499 after the same beta was quickly fixed 5 days later with 20518. At the same time AX86U still has no stable 388 code release. Asus is obviously fixing something on it.
I have had only one minor glitch. Two days ago the router rebooted by itself. Turned out our rural electric co-op was having voltage issues and my backups were going nuts trying to keep up. Am not concerned about the Asus delay in a "final" release.

I have same problem. anyone has fixed it? When use Wifi speed test Pro to test wifi from S21 with 1.2gbps link, upload speed only 580Mbps

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!