What's new

AX86U AsusWRT Fw , log level settings via SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpthsd

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I am running AsusWRT fw latest, enabled SSH and got into ssh ,,but I do not have what logs level should be set for like drop/deny/wireless...(I just setup myself syslog server but the router sent ver very little limited logs)...thus I am looking for enabling more like debug or informational logging level...

Does anyone have what needs to be enabling here via ssh for logging more? I am just blind here LoL!!

Thank you,
jpthsd

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

Are you talking about what appears on a remote syslog server or in the router's System Log?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

Are you talking about what appears on a remote syslog server or in the router's System Log?
Thank you,

I want to know what command to enable for what log level to be increased, I found something like the below, but some said once the router reboot (AsusWrt FW) , it will be reset back to log_level=7

I checked my AX86U , it is currently set at log_level=6...

Do you have any info what logs and log_level can be set while using AsusWRT FW?

Regards,
jpthsd

admin@RT-AC66U: # nvram set log_level=2
admin@RT-AC66U: # nvram set log_enable=1
admin@RT-AC66U: # nvram set log_rejected=1
admin@RT-AC66U: # nvram set log_dropped=1
admin@RT-AC66U: # nvram set log_accepted=0

It looks like you replied to the blog here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/where-can-i-get-more-detailed-system-logs-in-asus-routers.36822/

Yes , I would like to change the syslog logging level higher so it sends more to my syslog server rather than now,,,it sends only like service restart, system reboot and nothing about client connectivity...I enabled logging both drop/accepted fw package logs it did but it is not really helping with those as fw logs only.

is there anyway to increase syslog logging level just like shown in the Router UI's log like client disconnection/reconnection etc?

looks like I need to run these commands via SSH while having AsusWrt fw? (these were in your post)

# ps w | grep syslogd
28128 admin 1412 S syslogd -m 0 -O /tmp/syslog.log -S -s 256 -l 7

# killall syslogd

# syslogd -m 0 -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l

nvram set log_level=8 will show all messages (assuming it works the same way as Merlin). nvram set log_level=7 is the Merlin default.

After changing the log level either reboot the router or service restart_logger.

Last edited:
nvram set log_level=8 will show all messages (assuming it works the same way as Merlin). nvram set log_level=7 is the Merlin default.

After changing the log level either reboot the router or service restart_logger.
Thank you!! I will try it tonight from CA

it actually shows the dnsmasg dhcp, kernel, hostapd, wlceventd, roamst

Kinda cool to see these on my BlueIris Windows 10 server multi purpose workstation server (kiwi Syslog free server)!

Kinda cool to see these on my BlueIris Windows 10 server multi purpose workstation server (kiwi Syslog free server)!
Changing the log level on the router will have no effect on what is logged on the remote server. Everything is sent to a remote syslog server and it is that server's config that determines what it shows.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!