What's new

AX86U Check my settings please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cary5500

Occasional Visitor
Can anyone chime in on these settings AX86U Merlin 388.1_0

2F2BEED1-1F93-42A5-9D07-C157AC21888A.jpeg
D161A2DB-8471-476B-8BDA-EC3DBAE02487.jpeg
D57866D8-E638-49D3-83A8-BF6669CD474C.jpeg
A33E7C6D-ECAD-4E95-ABE9-E3C2D3009FAA.jpeg
1072390E-47D7-4336-9C5C-E4FD66A77A4E.jpeg

In normal Wi-Fi environment with other networks around and IoT devices for maximun stability and compatibility I would set this router this way:

2.4GHz General:

Enable Smart ConnectOFF
Band2.4 GHz
Network Name (SSID)Your SSID24 (numbers and letters only)
Hide SSIDNo
Wireless ModeAuto
802.11ax / WiFi 6 modeDisable
WiFi Agile MultibandDisable
Target Wake TimeDisable
Channel bandwidth20 MHz
Control Channelfixed channel with best throughput, not necessarily 1-6-11
Authentication MethodWPA2-Personal
WPA EncryptionAES
WPA Pre-Shared KeyYour password (numbers and letters only)
Protected Management FramesDisable
Group Key Rotation Interval7200

2.4GHz Professional:

Band2.4 GHz
Enable RadioYes
Enable wireless schedulerNo
Set AP IsolatedNo
Roaming assistantDisable
Bluetooth CoexistenceDisable
Enable IGMP SnoopingDisable
Multicast Rate(Mbps)Auto
Preamble TypeLong
AMPDU RTSEnable
RTS Threshold2347
DTIM Interval1
Beacon Interval100
Enable TX Bursting Disable
Enable WMM Enable
Enable WMM No-Acknowledgement Disable
Enable WMM APSD Disable
Optimize AMPDU aggregation Disable
Modulation Scheme Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
Airtime Fairness Disable
Multi-User MIMO Disable
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO Disable
Explicit Beamforming Disable
Universal Beamforming Disable
Tx power adjustment
Performance

5GHz General:

Enable Smart ConnectOFF
Band5 GHz
Network Name (SSID)Your SSID50 (numbers and letters only)
Hide SSIDNo
Wireless ModeAuto
802.11ax / WiFi 6 modeEnable
Target Wake TimeDisable
Channel bandwidth20/40/80 MHz, 160 MHz Disabled
Control Channelfixed channel in non-DFS range 36-48 or 149-161 (if available)
Extension ChannelAuto
WPA EncryptionAES

5GHz Professional:

Band5 GHz
Enable RadioYes
Set AP IsolatedNo
Roaming assistantDisable
Multicast Rate(Mbps)Auto
AMPDU RTSEnable
RTS Threshold2347
DTIM Interval1
Beacon Interval100
Enable TX BurstingDisable
Enable WMMEnable
Enable WMM No-AcknowledgementDisable
Enable WMM APSDDisable
Optimize AMPDU aggregationDisable
Modulation SchemeUp to MCS 11 (NitroQAM/1024-QAM)
Airtime FairnessDisable
Multi-User MIMODisable
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMODisable
802.11ax/ac BeamformingEnable
Universal BeamformingDisable
Tx power adjustment
Performance

I would NOT run Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 on it though.

In normal Wi-Fi environment with other networks around and IoT devices for maximun stability and compatibility I would set this router this way:

2.4GHz General:

Enable Smart ConnectOFF
Band2.4 GHz
Network Name (SSID)Your SSID24 (numbers and letters only)
Hide SSIDNo
Wireless ModeAuto
802.11ax / WiFi 6 modeDisable
Target Wake TimeDisable
Channel bandwidth20 MHz
Control Channelfixed channel with best throughput, not necessarily 1-6-11
WPA EncryptionAES

2.4GHz Professional:

5GHz General:

Enable Smart ConnectOFF
Band5 GHz
Network Name (SSID)Your SSID50 (numbers and letters only)
Hide SSIDNo
Wireless ModeAuto
802.11ax / WiFi 6 modeEnable
Target Wake TimeDisable
Channel bandwidth20/40/80 MHz, 160 MHz Disabled
Control Channelfixed channel in non-DFS range 36-48 or 149-161 (if available)
Extension ChannelAuto
WPA EncryptionAES

5GHz Professional:

Band5 GHz
Enable RadioYes
Set AP IsolatedNo
Roaming assistantDisable
Multicast Rate(Mbps)Auto
AMPDU RTSEnable
RTS Threshold2347
DTIM Interval1
Beacon Interval100
Enable TX BurstingDisable
Enable WMMEnable
Enable WMM No-AcknowledgementDisable
Enable WMM APSDDisable
Optimize AMPDU aggregationDisable
Modulation SchemeUp to MCS 11 (NitroQAM/1024-QAM)
Airtime FairnessDisable
Multi-User MIMODisable
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMODisable
802.11ax/ac BeamformingEnable
Universal BeamformingDisable
Tx power adjustment
Performance

I would NOT run Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 on it though.
What would you run on it? And thanks for the reply tech

@Cary5500, are you having any issues with your wireless right now? The actual settings don't mean much, without context.

Some/Many settings have been found to be sticky and not effectively go back to their true defaults when they're toggled on/off. With this simple fact in mind, I would be doing a full reset if you're having issues (stability or performance).

My recommendations haven't changed.

First. Flash the latest RMerlin firmware you want to run on your router (I'm currently running 388.2_alpha1-g0372e21e53 for the last 3 weeks without issues on my RT-AX86U (primary) and wired 2.5GbE backhaul GT-AX6000 (node) setup). For the weird ones here, I've been running this for 20 days and 11 hours so far.

Do not change things for no reason (doing so may require another full reset to get the router back to where it was before).

Change the least amount of settings possible. Today's hardware on the latest/greatest (RMerlin) firmware works very well with the least fiddling of the settings. And works best overall when the radios are set to their full capabilities (i.e. do not use 'N' settings for the Wireless mode on the 2.4GHz band if you don't have any 2.4GHz AX clients - and, having that setting on Auto doesn't interfere with your network usage either, of course).

Take advice from users that don't run RMerlin firmware or use Asus routers with a grain of salt too.

Yeah I followed your article from back in the day I did a factory reset and changed SSID, log in etc. I was having problems with the internet dropping. This seemed to of fixed the issue just wanted to make sure my settings from prior are still the most efficient.

What would you run on it?

I did test thoroughly multiple different firmware versions for this router and the most stable stock Asuswrt so far is 386_49599 and the most stable Asuswrt-Merlin is 386.5_2. Base 388 Asuswrt still has issues and they affect Asuswrt-Merlin firmware as well. Read the release threads for more information.

I have one AX86U sitting on the shelf and waiting for better firmware.

@Cary5500, Changing the settings so 'drastically' on the router is not necessarily needed. Are you sure your ISP equipment was not to blame too (particularly after the lightning strike)?

@Cary5500, Changing the settings so 'drastically' on the router is not necessarily needed. Are you sure your ISP equipment was not to blame too (particularly after the lightning strike)?
Yeah it was damaged blown completely also blew the power supply to the router. All replaced with new now. So should I do another factory reset and or just install the beta software reboot and be done?

I can't say what needs to be done now. You haven't described any issues.

Yeah it was damaged blown completely also blew the power supply to the router. All replaced with new now. So should I do another factory reset and or just install the beta software reboot and be done?

Did you replace the power supply or the whole router? If the former, there could be internal damage to the router too that isn't "fully dead" but not fully functional either.

Did you replace the power supply or the whole router? If the former, there could be internal damage to the router too that isn't "fully dead" but not fully functional either.
After wiping the router and flashing new firmware I’m having zero issues with dropping connection. It’s been up for 7 hours so far. If issues come back I’ll swap with a new router for sure.

I just didn’t know if the settings I transferred over manually from the previous notes where good or if my settings aren’t optimal.

I just didn’t know...

No one here knows what settings are optimal for your environment. The settings I posted above ensure maximum compatibility. From this point on you need to know what the settings do and adjust based on your requirements and environment. I'm under impression you don't know what the setting do.

No one here knows what settings are optimal for your environment.

Well except for the guy that wanted to force his router to "B" only. We all know that won't work well.

I did test thoroughly multiple different firmware versions for this router and the most stable stock Asuswrt so far is 386_49599 and the most stable Asuswrt-Merlin is 386.5_2. Base 388 Asuswrt still has issues and they affect Asuswrt-Merlin firmware as well. Read the release threads for more information.

I have one AX86U sitting on the shelf and waiting for better firmware.

Any specific reason you arent running the mentioned 386.5_2 on it?
That one is available for the 86U

Any specific reason you arent running the mentioned 386.5_2 on it?

This router is not part of my network and currently waiting for better firmware. I purchased it because of good feedback just to see what it is. It turned out to be a big disappointment. If this is one of the recommended models I can't imagine what non-recommended ones are. It was used mostly for firmware testing, but I found I'm just wasting my time with it. More about this subject here. I run charity events twice a year. Last year I have donated 14 home routers (including Asus AX models) and 60 computer configurations between other things. My AX86U may end up in someone else's home.

This router is not part of my network and currently waiting for better firmware. I purchased it because of good feedback just to see what it is. It turned out to be a big disappointment. If this is one of the recommended models I can't imagine what non-recommended ones are. It was used mostly for firmware testing, but I found I'm just wasting my time with it. More about this subject here. I run charity events twice a year. Last year I have donated 14 home routers (including Asus AX models) and 60 computer configurations between other things. My AX86U may end up in someone else's home.
Running 2 AX86U's here and no problems on my side.
Range is a bit lower then my previous AC68U but performance can keep up with my 1Gbit connection.
That code is closed source doesnt mean its all bad though if the things one uses are working, i do have to say i dont use any of the extra features, its just a router and therefor being used as one.

Curious though, what do you use now to initialize your internet needs in the home.
I have been thinking of migrating to a AliExpress TopTon box with **sense on it and Omoda as LAN equipment.

5GHz Professional:
Enable TX Bursting
It may not be a good idea to turn off this option at 5GHz, although the description says it is only effective for g devices, but most of the forum members reported that this effectively improves the link rate of AC/AX devices at 5GHz.

5GHz Professional:
Multi-User MIMO
It's part of the 802.11ac wave 2 standard, and devices that don't support it naturally don't have it enabled, and shouldn't be turned off.

Settings are subjective based on environment and preference imo.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!