What's new

AX86u disconnect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fenderjazzbass

New Around Here
Hey everyone , my fist post. I am fascinated by all the knowledge here and have been learning and reading for months and still a newbie. I have an AX86u and am a tweaker. Like everyone else I seem addicted to get as much performance out of my connection. I am wondering why when I do the speed test through the router or on my phone the download test completes but sometimes the upload test will stall out and the router losses connection. I have a fiber connection from my ISP and pay for 300 mbps up and 300 mbps down. Does anyone know why this would happen? Generally the connection is pretty stable and disconnects rarely. I use smart connect with the same SSID , blink cameras on the 2.4 band and 8 to 10 devices on the 5g band. I am currently running Merlin 386 .5 2 firmware and changed only a few of the professional settings based on alot of reading. Thanks for any input!

factory reset the router. Minimally configure the router to get ISP connection. Do not reload a config directly from backup.
See what the results are.
Then configure your settings one by one, testing each time.
Check some of the other threads, i think some were having issues with the .5 rmerlin firmware, but confirm for yourself.

Welcome to the forums @fenderjazzbass.

First tip: changing settings and then changing them back is not the same as not changing them at all in the router (Asus) world. :)

If you haven't done a full reset to factory defaults after flashing RMerlin firmware (or, if you have but used a saved backup config file afterward), you may want to follow some or all of the links below to get your system back to a good/known state. I haven't heard/read of your issue before as far as I can remember right now.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

If you can provide further information of how (exactly) you set your router up, and what (specific) changes you've made, better and more specific suggestions may be available.

Ok, thanks! I think tomorrow I am going to flash with the 386.7 beta 2 firmware and then do the full factory reset procedure. I will also do a back up of the jffs partition. I will see how things go and report back, cheers

Your best bet is to stick with the router WIFI defaults as far as possible!! Another user recently had similar bandwidth issue. Seemed to be fixed by setting the 5GHz to channel 149. Channel 36 should work as well. I use Asus firmware with default WIFI except I enable DFS and WPA2/WPA3-Personal.
I also recommend avoiding the beta firmware until you have more experience with the router.

Last edited:
Sure, take a backup of the JFFS configuration, but don't use it. ;)

Flash the Beta 2 firmware, click the 'Format the JFFS on next reboot...' button, be sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page, and reboot the router at least twice. Then, perform a WPS Button reset on the router.

Why do you switch so often between stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin?
Because I can.... I had issues with the 386.7 alpha and beta in that the 5 GHz was wonky and my new "smart" TV was not smart enough to stay connected. Also had some connectivity issues with 386.5_2. Went back to Asus and have not had a problem with any clients since. And I run G, N, AC and AX clients. Does not seem to make sense in what I did but it works. Have to keep the family happy especially in the evening when streaming is in use. Also am leaning towards a router OS that someone else can manage if my health takes a turn or I am away (mom at 99 is not doing well and is 1,000 miles away). And I am satisfied with the security Asus firmware provides.

Issue may be long resolved but simple thing to try under WAN is to set DHCP query frequency to continuous. I have found through reading online that even though internet connection may remain stable the connectivity on the network can drop as the ISP does not like "agressive mode". Yesterday after 3 days of optimal use of a new AX86U I had 5 drops in 6 hours. Since changing the 1 setting I have had no drops in 15 hours.

Issue may be long resolved but simple thing to try under WAN is to set DHCP query frequency to continuous. I have found through reading online that even though internet connection may remain stable the connectivity on the network can drop as the ISP does not like "agressive mode". Yesterday after 3 days of optimal use of a new AX86U I had 5 drops in 6 hours. Since changing the 1 setting I have had no drops in 15 hours.
UPDATE: "Continuous" does not work as I had another drop - will try "Normal". The frequency of drops is directly related to the DHCP lease expiry that is hardcoded by the FW to occur every 2 days. I have since found a script that can query out and force a lease renewal and barring that a reboot but seriously??? This issue is so over-reported on Merlin and stock firmware that years later people have to spend days researching this. Another week and if no resolution I will return the AX86U.

Some really good advise here, thanks everyone. I have my query frequency to "normal" and since I did the factory reset , left most of the professional settings to default I have had a real stable connection now for a couple of months.

UPDATE: "Continuous" does not work as I had another drop - will try "Normal". The frequency of drops is directly related to the DHCP lease expiry that is hardcoded by the FW to occur every 2 days. I have since found a script that can query out and force a lease renewal and barring that a reboot but seriously??? This issue is so over-reported on Merlin and stock firmware that years later people have to spend days researching this. Another week and if no resolution I will return the AX86U.
7 days later and still stable... here are steps I took that just consolidates posts from others: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/g...ly-on-rt-ax86u-wired.69084/page-2#post-789498

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!