What's new

AX86U firmware update fails - merlin and stock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

haeffnkr

Occasional Visitor
I have an AX86U and want to change the firmware to stock.
I have 386.3.2 Merlin now. I have tried to load Merlin 388.2.2 and latest stock, the firmware loads and gets to 100 then does nothing and my firmware number never changes.

thanks for your help in advance!
haeffnkr

I have 386.3.2 Merlin now. I have tried to load Merlin 388.2.2 and latest stock, the firmware loads and gets to 100 then does nothing and my firmware number never changes.

thanks for your help in advance!
haeffnkr

You can first try doing a hard factory reset, unplug any USB devices, then flash again. Disable any browser plugins and antivirus (run browser in private/incognito mode) If that doesn't work, put it into recovery mode and use the asus restore utility. Or skip the first part and just use the restore utility as that should work.

Either way hard factory reset after you reload the stock version, and manually reconfigure, don't restore a backup.

I can not get the steps to work to do hard reset. WPS button method is not working. The recovery utility uses windows that I dont currently have running. Any other options?

FYI you posted in the Asus-Merlin AddOns subforum. If you can you may want to move your post to the more appropriate subforum to discuss changing the Asus stock firmware to Merlin:
Edit to add: Also use the site search feature. There have been at least one other recent discussion where someone had trouble updating the firmware on their router (might have even been an AX series router). See here for a similar issue with an RT-AX86U:

I can not get the steps to work to do hard reset. WPS button method is not working. The recovery utility uses windows that I dont currently have running. Any other options?
Sometimes the AX86U will not do a Hard Factory Reset. This has been noted in the past on this forum and I have had the same issue. A Factory Reset with initialize usually will do the trick. However, I had some issues with my AX86U and sent it in to the Asus repair center. They determined it was a bad power switch (a bunch of BS!) and sent me another refurbished router.

Another method is to use TFTP to upload the firmware file. TFTP can be done on just about any OS. Google is your friend there. You will need to set a static IP on the client used for rescue (192.168.1.10) and I believe the router IP in rescue mode is 192.168.1.1

A good way to know when the router is ready for rescue is to set a continuous ping to the router IP address. Have the TFTP ready to go and when the ping gets a reply start the TFTP.

I can not do any upgrades to stock firmware, the latest merlin firmware or any hard resets. I spent hours with it today. I will research the TFTP or maybe try to digout a windows pc. I usually use chromebooks or Linux.

thanks for the help

I can not do any upgrades to stock firmware, the latest merlin firmware or any hard resets. I spent hours with it today. I will research the TFTP or maybe try to digout a windows pc. I usually use chromebooks or Linux.

thanks for the help

Did you try the factory reset within the GUI checking off the option to "initialize all variables"? While technically not a hard reset that has worked for some whose routers seem to be stuck.

I've found the WPS reset can be finnicky, on mine the button has to be pressed pretty hard and held pretty hard while turning on the power, then it takes about 15 seconds for the power light to start flashing at which point you release it. On some of the AX routers you hold it until the power light goes out, then release it and power cycle the router.

But you may just have to dig out a windows machine (or boot off a windows USB key) to do the recovery mode. I know there are some cases where that is the only way to go from merlin to stock or vice-versa, it depends on the router model and code versions.

I believe some have found that installing a really old version of stock, then upgrading to the latest works. Though 386.2 is already pretty old. I think someone said the magic number was a firmware that was under 32 megs in size.

Another thought, try upgrading to like 386.7 then to 388?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!