What's new

AX86U internal antenna orientation/direction

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
Hello,

My first post here. I just bought an AX86U and I'd like to optimize antenna orientation so the donuts cover my space as efficiently as possible. The AX86U has a 4th 5 GHz internal antenna and I'm trying to figure how how it's oriented. I found this image of the PCB:

Antennas.png

The upper one is the AX86U and the lower one is the AC86U with the internal antennas highlighted in yellow (I wanted to include both models for reference, but I really care about the AX86U). Could someone who knows more about antennas than me let me know which way you think the signal is projecting from that antenna? It's rectangular so that tells me it's directional, so maybe a cone going out perpendicular to the front and back side of the router without much going to the sides or up/down? Does that make sense? And if it's not directional but is omni-directional, which way is the donut oriented? Any informed opinion is highly appreciated, thank you!

As an educated guess, it would be the same orientation as the other three antennae when they are pointing straight up.

As an educated guess, it would be the same orientation as the other three antennae when they are pointing straight up.

You think? But it's a very different shape. Aren't omni-directional antennas stick-like, this has rectangular elements.

I would hope. And experimenting with the previous RT-AC86U shows this to be the case in most normal Wi-Fi environments.

I experimented with mine I have them like this \ | /

Well it makes sense they would make it omnidirectional and put it in the most default orientation which is straight up. But it looks so different from regular omnidirectional antennas. I wish I knew more about antenna design, it's a niche topic and I can't find much information about it online.

The optimal size and shape of the antenna is dependent on the frequency it is being utilized for. Just because an antenna is square in shape and small in size doesn't mean it can't be as effective as a taller external antenna which is why smaller Wifi devices can achieve the signal reception they do. Consider also that a modern wireless router's 5Ghz band radio effectiveness relies more on reflections and slight signal time delays created within the environment to achieve improved throughput.

Last edited:
The optimal size and shape of the antenna is dependent on the frequency it is being utilized for. Just because an antenna is square in shape and small in size doesn't mean it can't be as effective as a taller external antenna which is why smaller Wifi devices can achieve the signal reception they do. Consider also that a modern wireless router's 5Ghz band radio effectiveness relies more on reflections and slight signal time delays created within the environment to achieve improved throughput.

I see, thank you. Yeah, my understanding is that antenna shape or size doesn't really have an effect on transmission/reception strength since they're all limited by law, but a higher gain antenna will give you better reception/transmission in a certain direction. But for most people, horizontal gain will be more valuable than vertical, so antennas that project in that flattened donut-shape are useful. Antenna shape doesn't matter then, I still would like to know the signal pattern of that internal antenna on the AX86U, but I guess I'll just assume is the same as the other ones when they're pointing up.

Also its predecessor AC86U has 3 external antennas 1 internal antenna. I don't know why they just don't have 4 external ones.

Three looks better. :)

Also its predecessor AC86U has 3 external antennas 1 internal antenna. I don't know why they just don't have 4 external ones.
Three external is a more compact design and because only the 5Ghz radio (4 x 4) uses four antennas on the AX86U... the internal antenna works well for the 5Ghz range wave legnth along with the three external antennas that are shared for use with the 2.4Ghz radio (3 x 3).

Last edited:
I see, thank you. Yeah, my understanding is that antenna shape or size doesn't really have an effect on transmission/reception strength since they're all limited by law, but a higher gain antenna will give you better reception/transmission in a certain direction. But for most people, horizontal gain will be more valuable than vertical, so antennas that project in that flattened donut-shape are useful. Antenna shape doesn't matter then, I still would like to know the signal pattern of that internal antenna on the AX86U, but I guess I'll just assume is the same as the other ones when they're pointing up.
Yes, the external antennas can be physically adjusted (oriented) and optimized while fixed internal antennas can't be. I believe having larger antennas would be more important for the 2.4Ghz wave length than for 5Ghz. There is always a trade off with larger antennas... While they can offer a greater surface area for transmit/receive they can also be more prone to external noise and interference. You want a design that is optimized for the bands you are using within the limited physical area you are covering and with most consumer wireless routers this would be the area of a medium to large sized home or small business.

Last edited:
@Qbcd How did you open the router?
I removed the 2 screws from the back, behind the sticker, and all the bottom ones, but could not loose any side.
I don't wanna break any bracket or something like that.

Do you have more pictures opening the router?

I removed the 2 screws from the back, behind the sticker, and all the bottom ones, but could not loose any side.

I'm guessing he didn't actually open his own router because there was no need. He just posted images taken from other websites.

I see.
I'm interested on how to open it but couldn't find much.
It seems there are only a few pictures of AX86U internals, but no information on how to open it besides the screws.

Most home router external antennas are made for show. Asus antennas are 1/2 length non functional plastic, part of the looks. For non tech people more and bigger antennas means more POWER. Red/gold accents and RGB lights bring that POWER to another level. Another price level. Some manufacturers with weaker market positions try to impress with porcupine designs:

image_12a.png

Most home router external antennas are made for show. Asus antennas are 1/2 length non functional plastic, part of the looks. For non tech people more and bigger antennas means more POWER. Red/gold accents and RGB lights bring that POWER to another level. Another price level. Some manufacturers with weaker market positions try to impress with porcupine designs:

This is just the beginning. The designs are only going to get worse with the tri- quad- penta- band Wifi 6E/AXE routers.

20210428_135209.jpg

@chatr Thanks a lot for those pictures.
I see there are some side tabs that secure both side of the case. Unfortunately they are incredibly tight and I'm just too afraid of forcing too much and they break up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!