What's new

AX86U losing Wan connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

Hi

Seems the router is losing Wan connection quite often. (every 7 - 10 days). Running latest Merlin.

Router is connected to Virgin Media Modem in bridge mode. When It happens I can see this in the modem log:

30-05-2021 17:24:56criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;XX-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Rebooting the Asus fixes the issue. Any ideas?

Hi

Seems the router is losing Wan connection quite often. (every 7 - 10 days). Running latest Merlin.

Router is connected to Virgin Media Modem in bridge mode. When It happens I can see this in the modem log:

30-05-2021 17:24:56criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;XX-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Rebooting the Asus fixes the issue. Any ideas?

Just happened again noticed that firewall is still blocking inbound connections so there is internet connection but wan still down according to wan status

I believe that log message refers to an issue on the other side of your cable modem - i.e. something is becoming marginal upstream from your modem. I would call your ISP and have them run some remote diagnostics, they should be able to determine the quality of your signal. It could be anywhere within your home's RG6 coax cabling and out to the nearest cable amplifier.

Just happened again noticed that firewall is still blocking inbound connections so there is internet connection but wan still down according to wan status
Have you had any luck getting this fixed? If/when you do, post your findings here for the benefit of others who might have the same problem someday.

Have you had any luck getting this fixed? If/when you do, post your findings here for the benefit of others who might have the same problem someday.
I fixed the issue by setting dhcp frequency to continuously and change both TTL values settings to NO in the wan page setting. I also changed the redirect wan browser to yes in the admin page. Now if I get a wan drop from the isp, the ASus always reconnects the wan. Previously it required a reboot most of the times. I see other wan drop threads , this might be worth to try for people having the issue.

I fixed the issue by setting dhcp frequency to continuously and change both TTL values settings to NO in the wan page setting. I also changed the redirect wan browser to yes in the admin page. Now if I get a wan drop from the isp, the ASus always reconnects the wan. Previously it required a reboot most of the times. I see other wan drop threads , this might be worth to try for people having the issue.
I am glad you found a setting that works with your ISP. Unfortunately, there are many reasons why the WAN connection is dropped. Changing the DHCP frequency might work for some when the ISP has an unusual DHCP behavior but it does not help in many other situations such as most of the threads you have seen. It is definitely worth a shot, though.

I am glad you found a setting that works with your ISP. Unfortunately, there are many reasons why the WAN connection is dropped. Changing the DHCP frequency might work for some when the ISP has an unusual DHCP behavior but it does not help in many other situations such as most of the threads you have seen. It is definitely worth a shot, though.

ttl settings to No is the most important change I think

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!