What's new

AX86U PRO - led setting ignored

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TRSyntax

New Around Here
hi folks.

this is my first asuswrt-merlin router and i'm still fresh on the subjects but i'll get educated with time.

i couldn't find another reference to this issue so i'll just make a new post.

on my ax86u pro, when i reboot (or force shutdown cycle) the device, it forgets the state of the led setting.
i always have them turned off as the router is located in my sleeping chambers and the light is disturbing my sleep.

after a reboot the ui switch is grayed out but turned to the right (on) despite having been turned off before reboot.

my device currently holds asuswrt-merlin version: 3004.388.5 (i'll update this weekend)

best regards,
lord syntax

Attachments

• merlin_led.png
    merlin_led.png
    350.6 KB · Views: 39
hi folks.

this is my first asuswrt-merlin router and i'm still fresh on the subjects but i'll get educated with time.

on my ax86u pro, when i reboot (or force shutdown cycle) the device, it forgets the state of the led setting.
i always have them turned off as the router is located in my sleeping chambers and the light is disturbing my sleep.

after a reboot the ui switch is grayed out but turned to the right (on) despite having been turned off before reboot.

my device currently holds asuswrt-merlin version: 3004.388.5 (i'll update this weekend)

best regards,
lord syntax
I cannot speak for why it's going back to the default state, maybe you need to reset the router in order for it to function again. If that does not work it could be some faulty HW not allowing to write to that block in the memory.

But there is a script where you can set a scheduele for LED in the amtm script.

hi folks.

best regards,
lord syntax

Works here on ASUSWRT. You should Hard Reset the fw to its default settings and configure from scratch when first building a new network.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE

Black electrical tape over the LED's works, too.

You've posted in the merlin forum, so just install the led control script in amtm. The setting on that survives reboots.

thanks for the different approaches folks. good community

I cannot speak for why it's going back to the default state, maybe you need to reset the router in order for it to function again. If that does not work it could be some faulty HW not allowing to write to that block in the memory.

But there is a script where you can set a scheduele for LED in the amtm script.
Works here on ASUSWRT. You should Hard Reset the fw to its default settings and configure from scratch when first building a new network.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

OE
i did setup the router in stock asuswrt and migrated the settings, so first i will try a fw reset and populate all settings manually through asuswrt-merlin.

"also clears data logged in /jffs partition"
would this be of great importance in terms of device settings?

You've posted in the merlin forum, so just install the led control script in amtm. The setting on that survives reboots.
i'm fresh on what scripts are available for asuswrt-merlin, but i'm reading up on it! thanks for the reference m8

hah! that's what i would do on a $40 router, not this beauty :p but i'll keep it in mind if it ends up being a bricked block or some weirdness beyond my current skills. thanks for the MacGyver solution though

in time the router will be in a pc closet with external wall mounted antennas connected, so i won't even see the lights when i think about it.. i just want things to work as intended *roll eyes*

thanks again folks

Known issue. Several past discussions about it, for example:

A workaround is to use the LED control script that can be installed using amtm. Access the router using SSH and run the command: amtm to start the amtm module.

amtm.jpg

Works here on ASUSWRT.
May work for you, but not working for others as evidenced by a number of past discussions about the issue affecting other routers. Any time I either reboot or change a major setting on my RT-AX86U Pro running the Merlin firmware the front LEDs, which should be off per the LED setting, turns back on. Its an annoying bug. Haven't bothered to check if it happens in the stock Asus firmware.

The control in the admin menu does turn off the LEDs, but any major change affecting WAN or WiFi (or a reboot) the LEDs will light again. Handy when you're watching for errors but not what the control us supposed to do. If it ever worked correctly there wouldn't be an amtm script.

Haven't bothered to check if it happens in the stock Asus firmware.

The LEDs stay OFF on my ASUSWRT AiMesh, have for some time... setting survives changing channels and an AiMesh\System reboot. The LEDs come ON during a reboot, but then switch OFF per setting.

OE

"also clears data logged in /jffs partition"
would this be of great importance in terms of device settings?

Should not be... logged data is ancillary, imo. It pertains to resetting the fw, not to fixing a greyed-out LED toggle.

OE

The setting in the GUI should survive a reboot to. It does on my router anyway.

Known issue. Several past discussions about it, for example:

A workaround is to use the LED control script that can be installed using amtm. Access the router using SSH and run the command: amtm to start the amtm module.

View attachment 55970
well there you go.. i should have extended my search beyond the AX86U PRO model and i would have found my answer.

i ended up using the amtm led script.

The control in the admin menu does turn off the LEDs, but any major change affecting WAN or WiFi (or a reboot) the LEDs will light again. Handy when you're watching for errors but not what the control us supposed to do. If it ever worked correctly there wouldn't be an amtm script.
well, not being the only one with the issue is somewhat settling. at least it's not something experience breaking.

thanks for all the input folks,
see you all in the scripting sections when i get there

But that stuff often leaves a lot of sticky residue. Proper light-dimming stickers work better in my experience

hi folks.

best regards,
lord syntax
Did you try using the button on the router to turn off the leds? It works on mine, but I've since used led-dimming stickers, as some light useful where I have my router at the top of the stairs.

For the new folks with an RT-AX86U Pro, running Asus-Merlin firmware, there are at least four ways (outside of SSH and add-on scripts) to disable/enable the front LED's.
  • The LED On/Off button on the (facing front) right side of the unit
  • The AiMesh > Management > LED (slider)
  • The Administration > System > Basic Config > Disable LED: Yes/No
  • The Asus mobile app (Devices > router > LED ON/OFF)
So the new folks understand the issue being discussed. Some users are finding that sometimes the overly bright front LED's do not remain off upon next router reboot, or upon powering off then powering on the router. Some users are also finding that using one of the methods to change the LED On/Off setting may not be reflected in the other router GUI or Asus mobile app LED settings locations.

If one is having trouble with the LED's not remaining off when rebooting the router. Make sure the GUI Administration > System > Basic Config > Disable LED setting is set to Yes. Then test if the LED remains off after router finishes rebooting. For a single router (no AiMesh) configuration, do not use the AiMesh Management LED option to enable or disable the single router's front LED. Use instead the Administration > System > Basic Config > Disable LED option to turn off the front LED's. Using one method of enabling or disabling the front LED's may not be reflected in other options for controlling the front LED.

For SSH control of the front LED there are some examples discussed in the following thread, have not personally tried them. As always, when changing NVRAM settings you do so at your own risk.

As previously discussed up thread one can also use the LED Control script in AMTM (option: lc) to control and schedule the LED's.

Attachments

• AiMesh_LED.jpg
    AiMesh_LED.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 23
  • System_LED.jpg
    System_LED.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!