What's new

AX86U Pro vs AX88U vs AXE7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm leaning towards the AX86U Pro

As I understand, both the AX86U Pro and the AX88U Pro have the same 5GHz radios and CPUs, the performance should be identical for my use.

They don't have the same antennas, antenna layout, and, if you had followed the link I offered above, you'd see the 88u Pro's 5ghz performance with a 2x2 client is about 20% better than the 86 pro.

At 5ghz 3 x 3, the 88U Pro pummels the 86U pro. (Take a look at the chart.)

At 2.4 2 x2, the GT-AX6000 is by far the best (Tech9!), at 287 mbps at 40 feet, oddly the 88u pro is 155. The GT-AX6000 does have very good antenna I think.

Generally, this Wi-Fi machine can easily cover some 2500 ft2 (232 m2) when placed at the center. But, the way Wi-Fi is, your mileage will vary.

Great coverage with the AX6000 has been my experience.

Today, when Wi-Fi 6 is no longer a hot commodity, its dual 2.5Gbps ports still play a significant role for those wanting to truly enjoy Gigabit or faster Internet. And its excellent Pro-enabled features only make things that much more exciting.

The AX86U Pro only has one 2.5gbps port--meaning maybe you can take advantage of 1gbps+ ISP speeds via wireless, but not on a wired home network--also if you have an NAS or home server, it's limited to 1gbps, not 2.5gbps.

I'm opting for the AX86U pro for its expected better stability.

Not sure where you are getting "better stability", assuming you are running Merlin (I am here because of Merlin stability on my N66U "Dark Knight" from a decade ago, just recently retired.) Seriously. No "stability" issues for a decade thanks to Merlin and Asus design of that device.

I would look at that 88U Pro review, but, the AX86Pro is a fine device too. Good luck.

Thanks, but if I'm not mistaken, the review at DongKnows is comparing the AX88U Pro to the older non-Pro AX86U. I appreciate that the WiFi 6 performance of the AX88U Pro is better than that of the AX86U, but it doesn't necessarily reflect the performance of the AX86U Pro. By comparison, the older AX88U (non-Pro) is itself much further down the performance chart:

WiFi 6 (Long Range, 40 ft)
1711140820538.png

WiFi 6 (Short Range, 10 ft)
1711140715228.png

It would be great to see a performance test of the two Pro models head-to-head (AX86U Pro vs AX88U Pro)

I do believe Tech9 recommends the Alien Green version of the GT-AX6000

True, true, also GT-AX11000 Pro EVA Edition. This one ceiling mounted works best. 🤭

if you had followed the link I offered above

Don't take Don'tKnow reviews too seriously and there is no RT-AX86U Pro in charts. ⚠️

Are the radios even different between the 86U and its Pro sister?

Dong's tables would carry more weight if repeatability were ensured, which I guess to not be the case. Sure, if he compared some models on the same day, but that's patently not the case.

Thanks Glens, Smedley, and Tech9--always good to come here and learn things.

Don't take Don'tKnow reviews too seriously and there is no RT-AX86U Pro in charts. ⚠️

Ooof. Noted.

And with some looking around this weekend, found this for OP Smedley:

Dated March 12 2024

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro WiFi 6 Router Review: Better option than the ASUS RT-AX88U Pro?​

Doesn't seem to be AI written, only because of errors like this that AI wouldn't make I think:

otherwise, you won’t loose too much.

AX86U Pro holds its own:

AsusAX86UProWifi.jpg

Also:

ASUS RT-AX88U Pro WiFi 6 Router Review: Is it really better than the GT-AX6000?​

asus-rt-ax88u-pro-18-1024x557.jpg

asus-rt-ax88u-pro-19-1024x569.jpg
I would say that 88uPro and AX6000 and 86U Pro are all so similar that any would be an excellent choice, and price/sales/design or desk space factor might be the most important factors.

Good luck and please let us know what you choose and how it works out!

Not as good as this TP-Link AX3200 though. Kills them all at long distance... 🤭

Thanks for the additional info! Based on these upstream charts, I'd say the AX86U Pro outperforms the AX88U Pro at least on these tests:

1711401736649.png

Man, it's hard to believe the difference for the 45ft metric. Wondering if there is some copy/paste error ...

The expected performance is about the same. Test results in uncontrolled environment will vary even between consecutive tests.

This guy tested these two routers about as good as anyone could outside of a completely controlled environment. And this is the bottom line.

(If you don’t care about the secondary 2.5GbE port and don’t mind until ASUS brings all of the software features on the RT-AX86U Pro as well, then there is little reason to pay more for the RT-AX88U Pro.)

(If you don’t care about the secondary 2.5GbE port and don’t mind until ASUS brings all of the software features on the RT-AX86U Pro as well, then there is little reason to pay more for the RT-AX88U Pro.)
The LAN 2.5Gb port sure comes in handy for feeding a similarly-equipped AP, even with only 500Mb symmetrical WAN, if one ever communicates internally. If that's a "requirement" then whichever's cheaper at the time between the GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro. If it's not "necessary" then whichever of the 3 is cheapest at the time.

Gotta say that the 2.5GHz performance locally matches what's in the above charts, in my experience. Can nearly saturate the fiber (500Mb).

If you don’t care about the secondary 2.5GbE port

The main reasons I recommend RT-AX86U Pro more often:

- usually cheaper and often on sale price
- usually available at many retailers or online
- more compact space-saving design
- the hardware inside is not true 2.5Gbps capable anyway
- most users don't have, need or plan >Gigabit ISP line
- most users don't have, need or plan a NAS with 2.5GbE port

If someone wants faster 2.5GbE LAN - switch with 2.5GbE ports is needed and 2.5GbE NICs, not a router.

The LAN 2.5Gb port sure comes in handy for feeding a similarly-equipped AP

Even this one is not needed in most cases. Most wireless clients are 2-stream and 80MHz capable. They can't reach Gigabit throughput. For more - 160MHz wide channel is needed, consistently clear DFS channels, clients with 160MHz support and good SNR close to the router, the same room. Too many requirements, not guaranteed.

Here in Australia, we're waiting for the 88U Pro, so it comes down to the 86U Pro or the GT-AX6000, the $100 difference favours the 86U, unless you're very lucky in accessing muti-gig internet.

Last edited:
Like I said, I've only got half-a-gig feed, but can wirelessly intercommunicate at greater than what a 1Gb ethernet connection can do, with each client on a separate AP interconnected by the "2.5Gb" wired ports. For me the WAN is just one of many sources or destinations.

but can wirelessly intercommunicate at greater than what a 1Gb ethernet connection...

This is great, but you can save your personal achievements for some future "mine is bigger than yours" thread.

In this thread here @Smedley asked specific questions, got the answers and purchased corresponding to the needs device.

Not mine is bigger, merely suggesting the notion of "why a >Gb port if all I have is <Gb Internet?" is fundamentally flawed.

Saw the questions, saw the answers, but nowhere to be found in a quick rehearsal is indication of purchase made yet.

And if you live in a country with only one 5GHz 80MHz wide non-DFS limited power channel available and all the rest in non-guaranteed DFS the theoretical perfect idea becomes severely limited by practical use factors. What is fundamentally flowed is the assumption everyone on this forum lives in the USA, gets Amazon US prices and availability and needs to pay for all theoretical possibilities, just in case. This extra port is $100 more for @bludge, for example. Do they need it really?

Just for the record; purchase made... I went with the AX86U Pro. Firmware updated, configured, and running beautifully.

The gating factor was stability. There are a number of recent posts on the forum regarding issues with the 3.0.0.6 firmware at present, and as I work from home, I needed the most reliable connection.

Thanks to all that responded to the tread to assist with my decision.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!