What's new

AX86U reports 386.7_2 needs upgrade to 386.7_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorhett

Regular Contributor
I'm starting to think this is a bug in the update available notification @RMerlin. Every time I boot up it tells me there's a new release available -- version 386.7_2

Last edited:
FYI I tried to post the output of dmesg and stuff, but Cloudflare kept telling me I'd been blocked for attempted to send malicious code :confused:

If it says there is an update available, then that's because there is, you aren't running the latest version.

When I do the upgrade after every reboot it says the newer version is available. I'm apply the new version. It says it was built June 22... I don't think the 7_0 image I was running for 2 months was built on june 22 was it? duh sorry, yes that's exactly what it is.

Or let me rephrase this as a problem. After applying the 7_2 image update, it tells me 7_2 is available as an update. Rinse repeat I'm going nowhere. I have the latest release image which claims to be 386.7_2 but it always boots 386.7

Last edited:
Do you have a better way to validate which image is running?

Or why the 7_2 upgrade isn't working?

Do you have a better way to validate which image is running?

Or why the 7_2 upgrade isn't working?
The version appears right at the top of the page.

2022-08-09 14_54_54-2022-08-09 14_52_35-Window.png

@jorhett - above is where you will find whether the firmware had applied or not. If it does not say 386.7_2 then it isn't

Perhaps it's detecting a Mesh Firmware update is needed too? I just updated to 386.7_2 and was seeing the same behavior, so I checked my Mesh device and it's telling me there's a firmware update for it too.

After updating the Mesh device, and then going back into the Firmware Update page so it does a "new check", this "Update Notice" went away.
(I'm running ASUS stock firmware on the mesh device).
1660078317696.png

The version appears right at the top of the page.

So then the image provided in the 7.2 release for AX86U is the wrong version image then. Which goes back to my point. I apply the image from 386.7_2 and it comes back up saying it's just 386.7.

I keep saying the same words in different order, and somehow it's not getting through. I'm not an idiot. I know how to read a version. What words in what order will convince you to examine the image provided for the AX86U?

Perhaps it's detecting a Mesh Firmware update is needed too?
I use the stock asus firmware on my mesh nodes, as recommended by @RMerlin. They are running the latest.

Last edited:
If the firmware shows 386.7, you didn't (successfully) flash 386.7_2.

If the wrong version was uploaded, there would be a ton of other similar reports.

Show us a screenshot of your router similar to Post 7 and also the link to the firmware you're trying to install. Your writing isn't exactly 100% clear.

So then the image provided in the 7.2 release for AX86U is the wrong version image then.
It`s not. And it would be technically impossible to be the case, because the filename is automatically generated based on the content of the version.conf file within the source code.

Reactions: a5m
So then the image provided in the 7.2 release for AX86U is the wrong version image then. Which goes back to my point. I apply the image from 386.7_2 and it comes back up saying it's just 386.7. And the image says it was built on June 22.

I keep saying the same words in different order, and somehow it's not getting through. I'm not an idiot. I know how to read a version. What words in what order will convince you to examine the image provided for the AX86U?

I use the stock asus firmware on my mesh nodes, as recommended by @RMerlin. They are running the latest.
correct-fw.png

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!19595&authkey=!AJLLKAY--4EBqDo

correct-fw2.png

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AX86U/Release/

Can't make it any easier than that - download the correct version - make sure you eject any USB's to release max RAM - then flash.

@jorhett - after getting fed up with those trying to help you ... it would be good form "as a professional network engineer" to concede you had the wrong fw file and that all is well ;). No one suggested you were "an idiot" [your post #9 above] ... but even the best of us have made mistakes like yours at some stage in our lives :cool:.

Last edited:
@jorhett - after getting fed up with those trying to help you ... it would be good form "as a professional network engineer" to concede you had the wrong fw file and that all is well ;). No one suggested you were "an idiot" [your post #9 above] ... but even the best of us have made mistakes like yours at some stage in our lives :cool:.

except that I don't have the wrong file -- only people who keep insisting I could only be a total idiot, and refuse to offer a single word regarding investigating why it isn't applying.

From https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download the SHA256 of the file is
a67005b0ae48f761400485aad7cbcdb6683e854c1b93a5d80c216350668c748a RT-AX86U_386.7_2_pureubi.w

From the main-site download for this image
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 1.04.39 AM.png

And here it is in my directory:

~$ cd Downloads/RT-AX86U_386
RT-AX86U_386$ head -5 Changelog-NG.txt
Asuswrt-Merlin 386/NG Changelog
===============================

386.7_2 (24-July-2022)
- UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1q.

RT-AX86U_386$ cat sha256sum.sha256
a67005b0ae48f761400485aad7cbcdb6683e854c1b93a5d80c216350668c748a RT-AX86U_386.7_2_pureubi.w

RT-AX86U_386$ shasum -a 256 RT-AX86U_386.7_2_pureubi.w

And here's the screen where I upload this very same image
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 1.15.50 AM.png

So do you have any more insulting things to insist upon? Or maybe, just maybe, could we discuss how to diagnose why an update isn't working and the router is rebooting to the old image?

Can't make it any easier than that - download the correct version - make sure you eject any USB's to release max RAM - then flash.

@jorhett I would double-check the bolded, possibly even to the point of a safe eject, and then removing, as i have seen non-ejected USB drives cause weird issues myself. I just want to make sure this isn't being lost in the noise.

Nobody is insulting you. Calm down.

There is obviously something wrong on your end, nobody else has that issue except you. The questions asked will help get a solution for you; when you answer them.

You still haven't shown a screenshot like Post 7, as asked.

So then the image provided in the 7.2 release for AX86U is the wrong version image then. Which goes back to my point. I apply the image from 386.7_2 and it comes back up saying it's just 386.7. And the image says it was built on June 22.

Strange - since the 386.7_2 image was clearly built on 24 July 2022 as per the screen grab's I posted. The 386.7 image was built on 23 June 2022.
But hey - was only trying to help ... clearly not appreciated - much like your exit from your other post where members tried to assist and you would have none of it.

The last three versions I have updated has shown the same behavior: I needed three times to have the FW installed. During the first two trials the GUI showed a message that the file was uploading (and it was, seen in the windows ethernet traffic utility) and after a long-long time the screen was not refreshing with the typical percentage of the FW during the update. I refresh the page in the browser and nothing, same FW version as before ...

But after a third trial (always at the third :confused:), the process was as usual and the FW was finally loaded.

Very strange, but as it finally worked i did not complain about it ;). Maybe you need to try again ...

I did notice that recent updates may take longer than before to complete. It's possible that Asus made some changes to the firmware image validation process. I just wait for the process to complete.

Most common causes of failed updates still remain being too low on memory (hence the recommendation of a reboot with no USB disk plugged in), and browser extensions interfering with proper webui operations (antivirus extensions being the most common culprit).

@jorhett I would double-check the bolded, possibly even to the point of a safe eject, and then removing, as i have seen non-ejected USB drives cause weird issues myself.

I always do this for a reboot. My usb drive hasn't been inserted into the unit for a week now, with about 10 attempted update retries since it was removed.

Nobody is insulting you. Calm down.
Look up at the directed personal attack on me. Don't attempt to downplay it, and then follow it up with your own attack (below)

There is obviously something wrong on your end, nobody else has that issue except you. The questions asked will help get a solution for you; when you answer them.
I don't doubt that it could be a local problem. But I have answered the questions asked repeatedly. Every question here has been answered 3-4 times in a row, and keep getting told I'm wrong. That's not helpful.

What would actually help is to be informative about diagnosing a boot failure. Which I keep asking about and nobody answers.

You still haven't shown a screenshot like Post 7, as asked.

Not insulting? I said a dozen or so times it always says 386.7 and what -- you don't believe me? You need a picture to see this? THIS IS INSULTING but fine here you go
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.09.59 PM.png

No, that's not insulting at all. You think I cannot read 4 numbers with a decimal.

But hey - was only trying to help ... clearly not appreciated - much like your exit from your other post where members tried to assist and you would have none of it.

and yet again another personal attack. You're just following me around making personal attacks on me. Please stop.

Not a single person in that thread answered the questions I asked. Just like here, everyone tried to tell me things that had nothing to do with the questions I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!