What's new

AX86U thermals

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitsbytes

how are the Thermals in it? one of my AC86U routers kicked the bucket an I'm looking for a new router. I knew I needed to invest in a cooling solution after reading about all these dead routers around here, especially as it gets very hot where I live when the AC is off but I digress.. I'm also thinking of retiring my other 86U and leaving it as a backup router and picking another AX router for a mesh setup. maybe an AX56U as a node.

one last thing... is it how are the thermals in it?

or

how are the thermals on it?

if they are both wrong I'm gonna disappear forever.

Thermals are very good on the ax86u, mine idles around 65-70 from memory. In UK climate. I will check what it is tonight, in 40 degree heat we're in right now.

Mine hovers around 72C. If you put a 120mm fan blowing in on the back you can drop it to around 54C.

seems like it has better cooling. I was getting temps around 85 to 90 on my late AC86U router when check the temps as soon as I arrived home before turning the AC on. from my memory it gest really hot where I live ( 36-42 C ) in the summer. the most important thing is I'm not seeing a lot of AX86U routers failing around here which is a good indication that it is more reliable.

seems like it has better cooling. I was getting temps around 85 to 90 on my late AC86U router when check the temps as soon as I arrived home before turning the AC on. from my memory it gest really hot where I live ( 36-42 C ) in the summer. the most important thing is I'm not seeing a lot of AX86U routers failing around here which is a good indication that it is more reliable.
Your model is notorious for running hot and failing. There are mod posts here for those that want to crack the case open and modify the heatsink, pads, grease, add fans, anything to bring the heat down.
It's been heavily documented.

The newer AX models seem to run cooler in general but I don't have all the models.

It was 101 F here yesterday and in my office with my laptop screaming its fan off with the room around 77 F / 25 C the router was at 70 C with normal use.

how are the Thermals in it?

OEMs don't set out to ship boxes that overheat. The AX86U has been out for years now so if it had thermal issues, there would be feedback here and elsewhere online. Buy one if you want one.

OE

Thermals are very good on the ax86u, mine idles around 65-70 from memory. In UK climate. I will check what it is tonight, in 40 degree heat we're in right now.
72 last night in 26 ambient, under full family load.

It runs warmer, if all Ethernet posts are used.
I am noticing this, I just plugged 2 printers, a TV and the Alarm system, and now it is running at 75C constantly, a big jump from 67-69C, is that a safe temperature?

Even though not all devices are actively using the ethernet port, most but one, are idle

I have moved to full wireless

I would move to all wired, if it was possible and practical. There is no point in extending the life of a home router. They are all disposable hardware. In AX86U case $250 is quite cheap for RPi router + 4-port switch + extra 2.5GbE port + AX access point + software made easy + few years of support.

I have the latest firmware and get this:

Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 53°C - 5 GHz: 57°C - CPU: 88°C

<20 devices connected, nothing running on it, AC on in the room

I have the latest firmware and get this:

Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 53°C - 5 GHz: 57°C - CPU: 88°C

<20 devices connected, nothing running on it, AC on in the room
With the ac on !!! This can't be good. I already bought the router and With the ac off and ambient temperature around 34 with 4 lan ports used I'm seeing between 80 to 85 C . When the ac is on it goes down to 68-70 C.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!