What's new

AX86U vs AX92U for AI Mesh Node - Same Price?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgsmash

Hi all. I have an AX88U, and plan to get another AX model to use as an AI mesh node. I'm looking at the AX86U, but I found that the AX92U appears to be the same price. Am I missing something here? The 92U says it is a Tri-Band, as opposed to the 86U being dual-band. Anything else that would steer me towards the 92U over the 86U?

Edit: I think I answered my own question here. Sorry! It looks like the 86U is actually a much better router. One would assume that 92 is better than 86 due to their naming convention but damn! ASUS could work on their model names.

As a router, yes, AX86U would probably be a better choice, but as a node in AI Mesh, that extra 5GHz might be useful. Don't know if one 5GHz radio can be dedicate as BH. Tput wise it looks as good as AX86U.

As a router, yes, AX86U would probably be a better choice, but as a node in AI Mesh, that extra 5GHz might be useful. Don't know if one 5GHz radio can be dedicate as BH. Tput wise it looks as good as AX86U.
How would I implement a backhaul and what is it used for?

How would I implement a backhaul and what is it used for?

The backhaul is how the node connects to the router. So, if you use an Ethernet cable it will be a wired backhaul, if you can't/don't use a cable, it will be a wireless backhaul.

The backhaul is how the node connects to the router. So, if you use an Ethernet cable it will be a wired backhaul, if you can't/don't use a cable, it will be a wireless backhaul.

Would you go with the 86u or the 92u? I'm wondering if the features on the 86u like DMZ, DoS, IGMP Snooping, IPv4, IPv6, VPN Support, and SPI Firewall that the 92u does not have (according to the comparison page I'm looking at) would not matter since it's being implemented as an AI mesh node instead of the perimeter router. My perimeter router is an AX88u so I think it already has all those.

Yes, on a node those features would not matter. If you are going to have lots of clients connected to node (and preferably of 5GHz), its probably better to go with 92u as you'll have one entire 5GHz band available for client unlike in 86U where it'll be shared between BH and clients effectively reducing max tput (just like a repeater) unless you are planning on using wired BH.

Yes, on a node those features would not matter. If you are going to have lots of clients connected to node (and preferably of 5GHz), its probably better to go with 92u as you'll have one entire 5GHz band available for client unlike in 86U where it'll be shared between BH and clients effectively reducing max tput (just like a repeater) unless you are planning on using wired BH.
It would be wireless BH. Trying to eliminate the 50 foot LAN cable coming from downstairs to my PS4 :D lol. The signal from the AX88U is fairly weak upstairs, so how does the node actually connect and strengthen the connection if the wireless connection to the actual node is a weak signal?

Router much likely is going to have higher gain antennas then consumer devices. So it should make most out of weak signal. Because of weak signal its probably a better idea to use 2.4GHz band as BH, Don't know if AiMesh will let you pick which band to use as BH. And if you decide to use 2.4 GHz band as BH there is no advantage of 92U 2 5GHz band. and you can buy which ever router you desire.

and if it is just for your PS4. you can look into buying some cheap used asus router to configure them as media bridge.

Just in case, be aware that ax92u is not supported by merlin. Best regards.

Just in case, be aware that ax92u is not supported by merlin. Best regards.
shirt good call buddy. Would the Merlin features carry over if it's just being used as a node?

I have no mesh/nodes experience. So, it might be irrelevant as long as you just use it as a node, or not... But if you ever want to give the 92u the main router role, it might limit your options.

I have no mesh/nodes experience. So, it might be irrelevant as long as you just use it as a node, or not... But if you ever want to give the 92u the main router role, it might limit your options.
Lol it was supposed to be sh*t not shirt. Guess it was the family friendly version. Thanks for the input.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!