What's new

AX86U Wan Aggregation question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lilstone87

Very Senior Member
This might come off as a bit silly, however I'm curious, to use wan aggregation, it says to use WAN port, and LAN port 4. I know this router also has a 2.5Gbps WAN/LAN port. Is it possible to use wan aggregation, and still use the 2.5Gbps port as a LAN port, to get over 1Gbps speed? I really haven't seen any info on this, and if it's possible to run this router like this. As there's a few modem's that can take advantage of wan aggregation, to reach over 1Gbps speeds. The question is, is the 2.5G port still useable as a LAN port, with this setup?

EDIT: Ultimately I'm asking does this router use the 2.5G port for wan aggregation, or does it use regular gigabit WAN port?

EDIT: Ultimately I'm asking does this router use the 2.5G port for wan aggregation, or does it use regular gigabit WAN port?
When it says "WAN port" it means the 1GbE WAN port, not the 2.5GbE port. When using the 1GbE WAN port the 2.5GbE port becomes a 5th LAN port.

When it says "WAN port" it means the 1GbE WAN port, not the 2.5GbE port. When using the 1GbE WAN port the 2.5GbE port becomes a 5th LAN port.

Thanks for this info, have you, or anyone here tried this type of setup? Because if this setup is possible, the 2.5G port, should be able to reach speeds up to 1800+Mbps. Would be nice to know if anyone here has tested this, as I don't recall seeing anything from ASUS mentioning this type of configuration with this router.

When this site reviewed the RT-AX86U it tested the 2.5GbE port to WLAN throughput and demonstrated that it worked well. People have reported using the 2.5GbE port to connect to their NAS without issue. So the only thing left is how well link aggregation works. That's not something I've paid any attention to but I expect there will be a few users that are doing this, after all it is one of the primary advertised features. If it didn't work I would expect to see a lot of complaints in these forums.

Well I'm considering replacing my AC3100 with this router soon. Currently I have a AC3100, and AX88U setup within my home. I would likely run the AX86U as the main router, and put this setup to work. As I do have gigabit internet with my ISP, with a Arris SB8200, which can use link aggregation. Pretty sure my gigabit internet is provisioned at like 1200mbps. Which would give me 200-250mbps of added download speed, to the 2.5G port.

Personally I would love to see a couple routers come out with both WAN/LAN ports that are 2.5G+ rated, hell two LAN ports would be awesome. I'm curious when the time comes where we see some routers with faster cpu's per core as well. I know that's likely far off, as I'm sure that would be a heat type issue they would have to work through. I don't think we're close enough to the point any of these companies want to add fans, or even better cooling, to run higher clock cpu's in a router.

EDIT: I will probably wait to see if this router drops back down a little in price. As recently it was $250, but it's back up to $280 right now.

@lilstone87 I'm running gig off my Surfboard S33 to my AX86U, connected on their 2.5 ports. I've tested from the router 1.3 at times!! Trying to squeeze all I can :cool: wired or AX

Well I'm considering replacing my AC3100 with this router soon. Currently I have a AC3100, and AX88U setup within my home. I would likely run the AX86U as the main router, and put this setup to work. As I do have gigabit internet with my ISP, with a Arris SB8200, which can use link aggregation. Pretty sure my gigabit internet is provisioned at like 1200mbps. Which would give me 200-250mbps of added download speed, to the 2.5G port.

Personally I would love to see a couple routers come out with both WAN/LAN ports that are 2.5G+ rated, hell two LAN ports would be awesome. I'm curious when the time comes where we see some routers with faster cpu's per core as well. I know that's likely far off, as I'm sure that would be a heat type issue they would have to work through. I don't think we're close enough to the point any of these companies want to add fans, or even better cooling, to run higher clock cpu's in a router.

EDIT: I will probably wait to see if this router drops back down a little in price. As recently it was $250, but it's back up to $280 right now.
Did you end up with the SB8200 + AX86U, in a WAN aggregation setup? I'm now looking into upgrading to +1Gb internet, and already have an AX86U... Many reviews were negative about the AX86U not having two 2.5G WAN/LAN ports, which I don't fully understand. Yes, having more 2.5G ports is nice, but if you can WAN aggregate the WAN+LAN4, and then do LAN 2.5G to a 2.5G switch, then what's the problem? I'd really like to hear from users that this config works IRL, before going all in.

@lilstone87 I'm running gig off my Surfboard S33 to my AX86U, connected on their 2.5 ports. I've tested from the router 1.3 at times!! Trying to squeeze all I can :cool: wired or AX
Can the S33 do WAN aggregation across it's two 2.5G/1G WAN ports? If not, then the config is slightly limiting in that now you're tying up the AX86U 2.5G port for WAN duty, I.e. you won't have a 2.5G LAN.

I suppose I don't fully understand WAN aggregation... if the WAN aggregation is used, then does a single 2.5G LAN client (or even a single >1Gbps WiFi client) have access to more than 1GbE to the internet, I.e. can a single client reach across the dual 1GbE WAN aggregation? Forgive me, if I'm wording things strangely, but hopefully someone knows what I'm asking.

Last edited:
The OP's initial question (and a question I also have) is still unanswered... If utilizing the WAN/LAN4 ports for 2x1GbE WAN aggregation, can a (single) 2.5GbE client get >1Gbps from the WAN side (let's assume the ISP plan is 2Gbps)?

A single client, no.

Real WAN Aggregation needs to be done by the ISP to give you one 'pipe' to go through.

When doing WAN Aggregation on a consumer router, you will need at least two client devices to get a combined greater than 1Gbps throughput.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!