What's new

ax88 packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi L&LD, sorry, I missed your question. Ok, currently I'm using an RT-AC5300 as my router and I recently added an RT-AC86U as a node in an AiMesh configuration. Current on both firmwares, etc. Perhaps I should try this on a windows 10 machine?

@COBOL-Coder what router do you have again? What firmware are you running? I'm not logged into the GUI but the difficulty might lie with the fact that I'm using an Android (9) tablet with an Android browser.

Are you logged in to the router GUI when you try that link? If not, it should still ask for the login credentials and then immediately take you to the 'Restore/Save/Upload Settings' tab.

Have you disabled the ability to access the router from 'router.asus.com'? :)

By network loop I mean when you can reach a given destination through different paths in your network, causing potential packet duplication problems and specially for multicast traffic. This is what the spanning tree protocol will avoid. For instance, yo can potentially cause a loop by connecting to the router via wifi AND via cable at the same time, or connecting the router switch to itself , or by having a switch connected to the router and / or to another device that connnects to the router also... those are external loops, BUT potentially you could also have router loops INSIDE the router if for instance the routing table is corrupted or misconfigured.

any pointers on how I can check for this type of issue?
wouldn't this cause 100% packet loss instead of the 40% I'm seeing?
thanks

I read in another thread to which you contributed that the 86U may require some modification of the procedures to clear NVRAM. It doesn't let me connect if I follow the steps you described. However, if I then unplug the router and plug it back in again, I can connect, I'm asked to create a new network, etc., but the latest Merlin firmware is already (or still) loaded. I assumed it would revert to some earlier official Asus firmware, but perhaps I'm wrong? I've tried rebooting several times, also tried factory resets with initialize three times, and each time Merlin 384.16 was listed as my current firmware upon reboot. Correct me if I'm mistaken; I have enough knowledge to do some customizing and some screwing things up. :)

(This may all be for nothing anyway; after doing this, I still have a mostly unusable 2.4 radio, which sounds hardware related. Too bad, as I pay for 200Mbps internet and consistently get about 180 Mbps on the 5 Ghz band at 50 feet away through several walls, but I have some devices that require 2.4.)

I may be wrong, but my hunch is that the router is not being fully reset.

Download the correct firmware for the router model that you want to use (I recommend RMerlin 384.16 Beta 2) and make sure to verify it with something similar to this.

I would do the following in this strict order and if the issues continue, return for refund/exchange.
  1. Power off the router by pulling the power plug from the router and the AC wall plug too.
  2. Power off the modem/ONT.
  3. Remove all USB devices attached to the router. Do not re-insert them for this test.
  4. Plug in the router's AC power plug to the wall outlet.
  5. Make sure the routers power switch is in the off position.
  6. Plug in the power plug to the router.
  7. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it until the router reboots/turns off while you turn the router on using the power button.
  8. When the router boots up, it should be in the Setup Wizard. If it isn't, repeat the steps above until it is.
  9. Use the following URL to bypass the setup wizard and go straight to the factory reset part of the GUI.
  10. http://router.asus.com/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp
  11. Check the 'Initialize all the settings...' box.
  12. Click on the 'Restore' button beside it.
  13. After the router reboots, use the same URL above to flash the firmware you have downloaded and verified at the beginning of this post.
  14. After the router reboots, use the same URL to repeat steps 11, 12 and 13 above.
  15. Plug in the modem/ONT and connect the Ethernet cable to the router's WAN port.
  16. After the router reboots use the Setup Wizard to connect to your ISP and secure your router.
    1. Use a new (never before used) SSID that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    2. Use all-new (never before used) passwords that are 16 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    3. Use a new (never before used) username that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    4. Do not change any other settings or enable any other features.
  17. Do not insert any USB devices.
  18. After the router has been running for 15 minutes or more, reboot it once more.
Does the issue persist now? Does it persist after an additional reboot after it has been running for at least an hour?

If the answers to the last questions are yes, return/exchange it.

If the issues have been solved, I would format the USB drive you used in the router on a PC before you put it back into the router port.

Proceed to customize your router slowly and only changing one thing at a time. Testing as you go.

Do not use any saved settings (for the router or for any of the scripts you were using previously either).

HTH.

@ChrisWN no, a factory reset doesn't put back the original firmware. It sets the currently installed firmware to it's expected defaults. :)

Download the correct firmware for the router model that you want to use (I recommend RMerlin 384.16 Beta 2) and make sure to verify it with something similar to this.

I would do the following in this strict order and if the issues continue, return for refund/exchange.
  1. Power off the router by pulling the power plug from the router and the AC wall plug too.
  3. Remove all USB devices attached to the router. Do not re-insert them for this test.
  7. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it until the router reboots/turns off while you turn the router on using the power button.
  8. When the router boots up, it should be in the Setup Wizard. If it isn't, repeat the steps above until it is.
  9. Use the following URL to bypass the setup wizard and go straight to the factory reset part of the GUI.
  13. After the router reboots, use the same URL above to flash the firmware you have downloaded and verified at the beginning of this post.
  14. After the router reboots, use the same URL to repeat steps 11, 12 and 13 above.
  15. Plug in the modem/ONT and connect the Ethernet cable to the router's WAN port.
  16. After the router reboots use the Setup Wizard to connect to your ISP and secure your router.
    1. Use a new (never before used) SSID that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    2. Use all-new (never before used) passwords that are 16 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    3. Use a new (never before used) username that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
  18. After the router has been running for 15 minutes or more, reboot it once more.

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I got a few questions for you @L&LD as I am willing to follow this setup to clean my RT-AX92U routers and have them fresh with new Asus stock firmware.

After step 13 you mentioned ''after the router reboots'' but normally after the flash I don't think they reboot automaticaly, so that means I have to reboot them myself?

Step 14 you mentioned to follow the same URL and steps 11, 12 and 13. So that means, I flashed to the new firmware, restore for the second time with the initialize option and have if I am correct with step 13 to flash again after the second restore or I am wrong? That means I flashed the firmware 2 times, but after the second flash there is no need for a reboot or restore?

If you would like to explain me, I would be glad :)

PS: What does the ONT stands for in step 2?

An ONT is an optical network terminal that usually translates the optic signal to a LAN (usually 1GbE Ethernet) port.

In Step 13 you have not just flashed the firmware, you are merely resetting it to factory defaults.

In Step 14 you are repeating what you just did already in steps 10, 11, 12, and 13.

You are flashing the same firmware that is already on the router at least twice. With resetting to factory defaults in-between.

Try just reading the steps in the order suggested and you will see it makes sense. It just looks weird to put those steps into words. :)

by the way, the problem that made me open this thread was resolved. router/modem/merlin was fine, it was comcast fault...

@ugandy What were they faulty at? Bad groundcable?
power levels too high and tons of non recoverable CRC errors. same situation with ground on or ground off.
gave up after 6 months and switched to att fiber. it is sweet!!!

Does the issue persist now? Does it persist after an additional reboot after it has been running for at least an hour?

If the issues have been solved, I would format the USB drive you used in the router on a PC before you put it back into the router port.

Proceed to customize your router slowly and only changing one thing at a time. Testing as you go.

Do not use any saved settings (for the router or for any of the scripts you were using previously either).

HTH.
Hi L&LD,

First of all your posts have always been a huge help, so thank you for that. I was wondering if you could give some insight on two things in your reset methods.

1. is there better success resetting by rebooting with WPS button vs SSH into router and running NVRAM clear and physical reboot?

2. what is the purpose of creating a new never used SSID? and does this new never used SSID have to be used going forward or can we switch it back to the desired SSID after set time has elapsed?

Thank you again!

1. I want the hardware to work as expected. If the WPS Button reset method doesn't work on a router, I consider that a defective product. My understanding is that you can do (a lot of) damage by using ssh. I don't recommend it.

2. L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Specifically, Why a new SSID? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...-ax88u-rt-ac86u-node.60551/page-2#post-532915

Once I use an SSID (that has never been seen/used before in any of my devices from the various customers I support), I never re-use it again. Life is too short to get stuck on the 'perfect' SSID and battle problems that we create ourselves.

Using a new/unique SSID is the preferred (way faster) method vs. resetting all client devices one by one and then re-associating them anyways. Two birds with one stone and all.

Again, if you're doing a 'nuclear reset', there must be a reason. May as well not 'assume' anything and not 'blindly' use settings, methods, and features that you just want to work without issues.

With almost every new firmware, the underlying 'how' of the way things get done is constantly tweaked, updated, and improved upon. 'Blindly' repeating what you had that worked 'once upon a time' is not an effective way to get your router/network to a good/known state, quickly.

1. I want the hardware to work as expected. If the WPS Button reset method doesn't work on a router, I consider that a defective product. My understanding is that you can do (a lot of) damage by using ssh. I don't recommend it.

2. L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Specifically, Why a new SSID? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...-ax88u-rt-ac86u-node.60551/page-2#post-532915

Once I use an SSID (that has never been seen/used before in any of my devices from the various customers I support), I never re-use it again. Life is too short to get stuck on the 'perfect' SSID and battle problems that we create ourselves.

Using a new/unique SSID is the preferred (way faster) method vs. resetting all client devices one by one and then re-associating them anyways. Two birds with one stone and all.

Again, if you're doing a 'nuclear reset', there must be a reason. May as well not 'assume' anything and not 'blindly' use settings, methods, and features that you just want to work without issues.

With almost every new firmware, the underlying 'how' of the way things get done is constantly tweaked, updated, and improved upon. 'Blindly' repeating what you had that worked 'once upon a time' is not an effective way to get your router/network to a good/known state, quickly.
L&LD sir... you are amazing. greatly appreciated!

1627571744285.png

HTH.
Question. So I did the wps reset, I have to restore/initialize in GUI as well? How do I bypass the setup screen

Yes, posts from 2 years ago may be out of date. I don't edit them because the reply will be nonsense to the original poster, and, I don't want to be tracking/correcting every post I've ever made.

Since then, Asus has given us the following link as the preferred method (over the Reset Button method). And that is what I usually give when I'm replying to more recent posts. :)

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Along with the following links too.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

It is up to the individual to ask for further clarifications if needed (and if I'm still around).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online