What's new

AX88U and issues with certain devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello again

Nothing has changed with new firmware. From 10 Tryies 5 was effected of the bug. Sometimes when you reach the Asus ax 88u wifi sppeds are normal. Than after the note 10 plus is in Std bye and you want to use it its restricted again and you have download bandwidth of 150-200 kb/s!
Just right now this is happing so only way is wifi off and on and all speeds are back to normal.

Hello again

Nothing has changed with new firmware. From 10 Tryies 5 was effected of the bug. Sometimes when you reach the Asus ax 88u wifi sppeds are normal. Than after the note 10 plus is in Std bye and you want to use it its restricted again and you have download bandwidth of 150-200 kb/s!
Just right now this is happing so only way is wifi off and on and all speeds are back to normal.

Hi guys!Finally I found someone (you) with the same problems that I've got!
Mine started with my iPhone 11Pro Max on the 5G-WiFi-band (no problem with 2,4)...Since the last driver update a few days ago, it became even worse! Now also my iMac is affected and also the 2,4-band! I uploaded instead the old-old-driver 3.0.0.4.384.6210 from June 25:th 2019... NOW everything works again... I've spent sooo many hours with both Apple support and ASUS support and ASUS support told me to go to the store and change my router to a new one.... Which I of course did (three year guarantee)... but of course nothing changed as the router updates as soon as you start it up... It's obviously a ASUS-driver problem!!! I've got a second router (RT-AC68U) in mesh (cabled) with my RX88U. I found out that if I go closer to that one and my phones (etc) hook up with that one instead, WiFi works just great...So... PLEASE ASUS... fix your driver problems with RX88U and TEST it BEFORE you launch it!!!!!!

Mine started with my iPhone 11Pro Max on the 5G-WiFi-band (no problem with 2,4)...Since the last driver update a few days ago, it became even worse! Now also my iMac is affected and also the 2,4-band! I uploaded instead the old-old-driver 3.0.0.4.384.6210 from June 25:th 2019... NOW everything works again... I've spent sooo many hours with both Apple support and ASUS support and ASUS support told me to go to the store and change my router to a new one.... Which I of course did (three year guarantee)... but of course nothing changed as the router updates as soon as you start it up... It's obviously a ASUS-driver problem!!! I've got a second router (RT-AC68U) in mesh (cabled) with my RX88U. I found out that if I go closer to that one and my phones (etc) hook up with that one instead, WiFi works just great...So... PLEASE ASUS... fix your driver problems with RX88U and TEST it BEFORE you launch it!!!!!!

thats about write for asus they dont care they never have the wifi drivers dont get up dated that much thats why their truck loads of bugs in them they will never fix them asus are starting to go like microsoft and Symantec they fix some things and brake others they are just plain useless its the software that lets down this router

Another one with slow wireless ac clients on 5 Ghz. Does ASUS even test these firmwares?
nope wifi drivers dont get up dated that much 2.4ghz is just as bad asus are just useless pppoe is just as bad asus routers cant do full gigbit wifi on a high speed connection they struggle with it at times they do here in nz

Just received this router and it works great with all my devices except with my iPhone 11 Pro Max! My wife's iPhone X gets 10-20x better download speed.
iPhone 11 Pro - DL 31.7 Mbps - UL 574 Mbps - Ping 29 ms
iPhone X - DL 264 Mbps - UL 515 Mbps - Ping 3 ms
I may return this RT-AX88U that I just received today.

IMG_3535.jpeg
IMG_F34ED84F4B29-1.jpeg

Last edited:
@megalomalaka, you're a little impatient, huh? :)

Why don't you give some details (all of them) of what firmware you're running and what you did to get the new RT-AX88U into service?

Who knows? Someone may have some suggestions on improving it for the single device that is not behaving right now. :)

Why don't you give some details (all of them) of what firmware you're running and what you did to get the new RT-AX88U into service?

Who knows? Someone may have some suggestions on improving it for the single device that is not behaving right now. :)

some of asus routers struggle on 900 down 400 up on a high speed fiber connection

some of asus routers struggle on 900 down 400 up on a high speed fiber connection

The router isn't struggling, the client device is. :)

I may be a little impatient to deal with a router that’s been out for a year but still has buggy firmware.
This is my third ASUS router over the years.

Details: the RT-AX88U is the primary router. RT-AC68U is a mesh node. Speed degradation happened before and after mesh mode was configured.

iPhone 11 Pro is currently my only AX device, but I’m not the only one dealing with stability issues with the RT-AX88U and my speeds were fine with that phone on the older router. Ironically I bought the new modem to speed things up.

I’ll spend more time with it today. Tried it again this morning and saw these results sitting 8 feet away:
90020A94-1656-4CCB-ACAE-61354B93BED3.jpeg

4B6C7DA6-E470-4CC0-B0AA-92AC7D744FBC.jpeg
95213B44-D8B6-416D-8EF3-5F8192810114.jpeg

Last edited:
@megalomalaka, considering that the WiFi 6 specs will be finalized sometime in late 2020, I do think you're more than a little impatient today, even if the router itself has been available for sale for far longer. :)

You are also giving us the details of your network piecemeal. I didn't know you were using AiMess on your setup. :)

To properly test the RT-AX88U, use it on its own after a full reset to factory defaults and configured minimally and manually to secure it and connect to your ISP.

After testing the above for a reasonable time-frame (I would test for at least a day or more), add more customizations one at a time (with AiMess being last) and test to find the additions either stable or not.

Right now the possible issues I see are many. Some of the more important ones that may make your network environment more stable is:
  • Use a new/never before used SSID that is 8 characters long with only alphanumeric characters and no punctuation, special characters or smiley faces. Use a 16 character password with the same limitations too.
  • Perform a full reset to factory defaults on the router, flash the same firmware you already have installed and do another full reset again. Make sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' too.
  • Make sure you change the defaults of a few recommended options like disabling Universal Beamforming, etc. Please see my signature for a link to the M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides for a start on best practices for the important settings that need changing immediately after a reset. Please also search for more specific settings on the RT-AX88U too (i.e. disable the 'Agility' option, for one).
  • Make sure that you only have a single router on and running when doing your testing. You don't want random interference (WiFi signals and old/known SSID's) from your previous router. You may find that you don't need a second AP in your environment at all (or when enabled, it is actually detrimental instead of beneficial).
  • When/if you do get to the point of actually wanting to test AiMess, the best suggestions on this forum are to do a full reset to factory defaults on all routers and connect them in AiMesh mode 'fresh'. Search for the many posts on that too.
  • Recommend doing all the above and testing with RMerlin firmware too (on both of your routers). The Alpha builds are usually better than the stock Asus builds by a noticeable margin.
The RT-AX88U router is not perfect today, I agree. But try to minimize any self-inflicted sabotage to your network and you may find like many others have, including me, that the RT-AX88U is still the best router Asus has offered so far with RMerlin support.

In the end, you may have a faulty unit. That still remains to be seen though.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I’m an experienced ASUS owner and tried most of your suggestions prior to posting.

The first tests were conducted were on a the new unit pre and post firmware upgrade. AiMesh was created with fresh settings.

I assumed slow speeds were due to structure issues of my apartment. Only after I tested performance with 2 laptops and another phone did I realize something was amiss. There are many routers appearing in my space, but that was also the case with my older ASUS router. My iPhone is the only AX device I own so I can’t test connectivity with other devices.

So far most of your devices have seen improvements since upgrading to this router.

Thanks for the Universal Beamforming and agility setting tip. I’ll check that out tonight.

This model has been out for a year already so I’m concerned major firmware development may stop as new models ship post CES. That’s why I’m willing to return it if it doesn’t behave. I don’t mind troubleshooting but I don’t want to spend forever on it.

I would not be worried about firmware development stopping anytime soon for the RT-AX88U from Asus. In late 2019, they released a new firmware for their RT-N66U which was released sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. :)

I would not be worried about firmware development stopping anytime soon for the RT-AX88U from Asus. In late 2019, they released a new firmware for their RT-N66U which was released sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. :)
Yes they have updated my old gear but I’m thinking of major upgrades, not just security updates.

Despite dozens of posts with users having the EXACT same issue with this firmware release, oddly L&LD is hellbent on creating false hope that the problem is with the client and/or config. I SMH at the hours caused by the misdirection.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I’m an experienced ASUS owner and tried most of your suggestions prior to posting.

The first tests were conducted were on a the new unit pre and post firmware upgrade. AiMesh was created with fresh settings.

I assumed slow speeds were due to structure issues of my apartment. Only after I tested performance with 2 laptops and another phone did I realize something was amiss. There are many routers appearing in my space, but that was also the case with my older ASUS router. My iPhone is the only AX device I own so I can’t test connectivity with other devices.

So far most of your devices have seen improvements since upgrading to this router.

Thanks for the Universal Beamforming and agility setting tip. I’ll check that out tonight.

This model has been out for a year already so I’m concerned major firmware development may stop as new models ship post CES. That’s why I’m willing to return it if it doesn’t behave. I don’t mind troubleshooting but I don’t want to spend forever on it.

The only "fix" for this issue (which I have, as well) is to either disable AX or downgrade to 6436.

Dozens of posts are greatly outweighed by the hundreds or thousands of people who don't have issues and simply stay quiet and don't post (ever).

No misdirection ever intended here. Just a genuine attempt at helping others get the same level of performance out of their RT-AX88U's as I do too.

Sorry that your experience was different. But you know what? So is mine, from yours. As is RMerlins and a few others that have posted similar 'success' stories throughout the forums here.

All is not doom and gloom. Every step we try to take forward is work. I'm just prepared to do so and not worry if I sometimes fail.

This is based on 384_7756... Just leaving this out there, as another data point.

upload_2020-1-11_14-2-0.png

upload_2020-1-11_14-3-22.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!