What's new

Solved AX88u, AX86u - Merlin = no NTP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m4rk0

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I used to have an AX88u w/ Merlin 384.19 and NTP sync didn't work. Did some searches and tried different solutions but I couldn't get it to work. Same issue with 386.1 alphas

At the moment I am testing an AX86u which has temporarily replaced my AX88u and noticed the same behaviour with Merlin 386.1 alphas. What was 'eye opening' was installing the stock Asus firmware back - NTP sync works.

Obviously there must be something wrong, what could it be?
Generally speaking, I'd prefer to keep Merlin firmware because it has lots of enhancements and fixes which I might not use right not but can come handy in the future.

...yes, I did a hard reset every time I upgraded firmwares.

Thanks

Have you tried adding a secondary ntp server like time.nist.gov under “Administration” -> “System” settings?

Thanks for your reply.
I believe I tried, as well as writing the IP address of the NTP server as suggested in some old post I found but it didn't help.
Also, the basic question I ask myself is: why does it work on stock Asus firmware as opposite to Merlin's?

Also, the basic question I ask myself is: why does it work on stock Asus firmware as opposite to Merlin's?

Completely different implementation. Asus still uses a custom ntp client, while my implementation uses an actual ntp daemon.

You will have to check your log first to look for any skipped event related to ntp. Also make sure you have properly working DNS servers on your WAN interface.

Hello,

I used to have an AX88u w/ Merlin 384.19 and NTP sync didn't work. Did some searches and tried different solutions but I couldn't get it to work. Same issue with 386.1 alphas

At the moment I am testing an AX86u which has temporarily replaced my AX88u and noticed the same behaviour with Merlin 386.1 alphas. What was 'eye opening' was installing the stock Asus firmware back - NTP sync works.

Obviously there must be something wrong, what could it be?
Generally speaking, I'd prefer to keep Merlin firmware because it has lots of enhancements and fixes which I might not use right not but can come handy in the future.

...yes, I did a hard reset every time I upgraded firmwares.

Thanks
What do change log says when NTP not sync?

I have an AX88u with Merlin 384.19, and NTP works fine.

These are my NTP settings:
Captura de pantalla 2020-11-20 a las 11.33.54.png

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It turned out that, because in the last few months I've been having my AX88u behind another router as I couldn't use an alternative solution, the NTP server wasn't working. Lately, I thought this could be the issue but, if I remember correctly, I found a post some weeks ago which was saying that in such cases you need to input the IP address of the NTP server, which didn't work for me. Maybe I am mistaken.

Completely different implementation. Asus still uses a custom ntp client, while my implementation uses an actual ntp daemon.

You will have to check your log first to look for any skipped event related to ntp. Also make sure you have properly working DNS servers on your WAN interface.
Merlin himself!
I have never posted much here, definitively I've been lurking around, but I wanted to thank you for all of the time you put into this project. I admire people like you when I stumble across them...

Now I need to decide whether I shall keep the newcomer and use the AX88u as a node -or viceversa- or just get rid of the AX88u and get another AX86u. I think the best solution is the latter, when I find a good deal I might upgrade to a dual AX86u setup.

Some advice. In either case, I would recommend that you consider installing Entware via amtm. Then, install spdMerlin and select chrony as the NTP client. It is a more contemporary NTP implementation and will likely handle cases like yours.

Some advice. In either case, I would recommend that you consider installing Entware via amtm. Then, install spdMerlin and select chrony as the NTP client. It is a more contemporary NTP implementation and will likely handle cases like yours.
dont you mean ntpmerlin and not spdmerlin. Though spdmerlin is also very nice, I did not know chrony detects internet speeds as well.. such a great feature.