What's new

AX88U - best way to extend WiFi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have an Asus AX88U (+Merlin). I use it in a dual Wan mode, which is working well for me with a DSL and 4G connections (when using rules to force devices on to each Wan). It’s in my attic and cover most of my house, but a few devices on the edge of the network do occasionally drop off.

I want to add a node/AP, and I want WiFi 6. However I have Ethernet running around my house which I installed when I built it, so I don’t think I need a triband setup, as the back haul will be wired.

What do people recommend?

Should I stick with ASUS, or something else?

I have seen the Asus xd4 mesh system, would a single node from that be a good option?

Thanks.

Stick with an RMerlin supported router for the most trouble free network.

The RT-AX58U may be all you need.

Best practices are to have the same GPL version on both the main and nodes. Staying with one or the other ensures this (more).

I've no clue what an X4D is, but I'm fairly certain that it can't run RMerlin firmware. To me, that makes it easy to disregard.

Function over form. Always. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!