What's new

AX88U constant WAN drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sleeps1007

Regular Contributor
I'm running 386.2 on my ax88u and lately my WAN keeps disconnecting. I would say it will be fine for almost the whole day then all of a sudden it disconnects. I'm able to still log into the router through router.asus.com thats how I saw it so I reboot the router and everything is fine. Then it will happen again several hours later I literally had to set a reboot schedule so that I don't have to keep rebooting it manually but there have been times where the WAN disconnects even though it was just rebooted. I've done everything to resetting the router to factory settings and doing the 30/30/30 but neither worked. I noticed in the logs I see a kernal buggy error which I posted below and it's pointing to eth0 which is the WAN port. Not sure what br0 is but not sure why it's buggy and I have a feeling it's related. My router is connected to an altice modem and I've checked my ISP and they found no issues in with the line. Any idea what could be the cause?

Capture.PNG

Why are you not using 386.2_2 today? :)

Why are you not using 386.2_2 today? :)
I honestly didn't upgrade because the changes in the changlog wasn't anything I was worried about. I know there's probably other things the changelog doesn't reveal that could fix minor issues and I should upgrade no matter what. I'll upgrade and see what happens. I was just wondering what the whole kernel protocol being buggy was all about.

My take on 'upgrading' firmware. If the devs took the time to do it, and I am not able to question the 'why'...

I simply do it.

It would be like trying to explain to a baby why they need to walk... how much more of the world they would see. Or they need to expand their vocabulary... to be able to understand/grok their surroundings at a deeper level.

Instead, we show them by example. (And that is what the goal of each firmware is: an honest attempt at improving the security, performance, and reliability of our networks. Whether we appreciate or understand the 'why' (or not).

Well upgrading to the latest firmware did no good. My WAN connection still drops and I still see that kernel buggy message.

Simply upgrading to the latest firmware doesn't necessarily mean fixes are implemented (by the upgrade).

Did you do a dirty upgrade or, more properly (particularly when in 'testing' mode), a full/proper M&M reset to factory defaults?

If not the latter, you aren't really testing/verifying anything except for your specific use case/configuration setup.

Previously I did when this started happening I thought I had mentioned it in the beginning but anyways as of right know Its been a day and a half and WAN has not disconnected (knock on wood) however the "kernel protocol 0800 is buggy eth0" is still spamming my log and I have yet to figure out what that means. I do recall when it was set to factory settings I was still getting that message I even changed the ethernet cable and different ports on my modem but still got that message.

Also, I'm trying to recall about why the RAM being almost used up it's practically close to 100% sitting at 96-97%. That didn't happen until I installed the addins and on my AC5300 the RAM was never used up and it was the same addins installed: Skynet, Diversion, spdmerlin, uidivstats, scribe, uiscribe

Last edited:
Use RAM is not an issue (use 'Better Search' for more on that tired topic).

You can also search the same for the '... is buggy ...' log. You may just need to ignore it if you don't have any actual issues. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!