What's new

AX88U drops internet for under a minute

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rturnock

Regular Contributor
All my computers that I checked are dropping the internet for generally under a minute. The computers do not do this at close to the same time. In the Microsoft-Windows-UniversalTelemetryClient/Operational log I see an Event 55 coincident with the loss of connection. The log entry is "Is the Internet available: false" then some seconds to a minute later "Is the Internet available: true". I'm running 384.17 but I don't see anything in the change log that would suggest a known issue was fixed in 384.18.

It would seem this has to be the router although it might be an external event, like the DNS becoming unavailable, that is missed by other computers that happen not to be using a DNS at that time.

Windows reports the loss of internet if I get to the computer fast enough. All the computers are wired, two of them directly to the router.

I turned off QoS as I see it come up in similar posts.

I changed the router not to use the ISP DNS but rather 8.8.8.8 (Google) and 209.197.128.2 (Cisco)

I hope this isn't a duplicate but I couldn't find one

Richard

My mistake, I had tried the OpenDNS. 208.67.222.222 which is owned by Cisco. The 209.197.128.2 is my ISP DNS. I've tried different combinations. I tried setting up four on one computer, rather than have the DHCP assign its IP but still had the issue.

Temporary drops are typically caused by a drop in the link connection between the modem and the ISP.

Thanks, but I have collected data from four computers, using the even tog Microsoft-Windows-UniversalTelemetryClient/Operational and there is no correlation between the event 55 "Is the Internet available: false". Indeed I have computers beside each other and one will drop the connection for, say, 30 seconds while the other continues along fine. It's not that the second computer wasn't using the internet at the precise time the first loses the connection. I can go to the second computer and load some pages and it works fine with no event 55 logged.

Temporary drops are typically caused by a drop in the link connection between the modem and the ISP.

Yup this sounds like an ISP issue not a router one.

Thanks for the suggestions, but...

To be sure, I set up one computer (first) to ping an address every second and record the result in a text file (I had been running it to catch issues before using the event log). I confirmed that when first reported an event 55 "Is the Internet available: false" the ping reported a "timed out". Then I compared the record to event 55 on a second computer. Consistent with what I said above the first computer pinged successfully during two events of the second computer, one 34 seconds and the other 43 seconds.

I also made sure that both computers reported the same time so it's not an issue of the time stamps not matching.

So temporary internet drops occur on all four computers but affect only one computer at a time. I don't see anything other than the router (or a smart switch if I had one).

Are you able to go modem directly to PC and take Asus router out of the picture for testing to see if the drops still happen?

I'll have to think about going directly to the modem as I would like to avoid disrupting every device. Perhaps I can insert a PC as a bridge between the modem and the router,​
Another data point the is away from the modem is from Zoom. I host meetings and if they are important I log on with both a desktop and a laptop so if one happens to have a failure I can keep going. Coincident with the timing of the "Event 55" logs the desktop twice lost its internet connection while the laptop did not.​

My gut says it's the ISP but the evidence says it's not unless my logic is wrong. The dropouts are typically under a minute. I caught one and while it was happening I could not ping the router to which I am physically connected. I can ping myself by IP or loopback and other PCs. So that pretty much means it must be the router. I suppose the answer will be "factory reset" and reenter all my settings.

I hooked a computer directly to the Modem overnight and it had no problems. That's not a guarantee that if I'd waited I might have seen issues. The odd, to me, problem that some computers would see dropouts for around a minute while others had no issue. By logging ping results on three computers I saw this several times. With intermittent problems like this I tend to see patterns that aren't there.

I did a factory reset and haven't seen the problem since. I do get dropouts on DNS but only for a few seconds which I think is unavoidable.

I was surprised that the logging parameters didn't get reset, though it makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback.