What's new

AX88U Pro - AX92U AP system issues/options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jg01

Occasional Visitor
I have a detached garage and started several years ago with an AX92U mesh pair (wired back-haul). Quickly dumped the mesh (poor transfer between nodes) for double nat for a while. Finally landed on running the garage 92U in AP mode. This worked well, with great router switching and wifi control, but lacked any way to segment IoT and data devices. I picked up a AX88U Pro to play with Vlans, and for the pending addition of a PoE camera system with NVR. I've been disappointed experimenting with all this now for a couple days, using two tp-link TL-SG108PE switches to facilitate vlans. Maybe the 88UP doesn't play well with the tri-band 92U in AP mode. It all comes close to working, but it's unclear looking at the client list on the 88UP (main) if the Vlan separation is really complete. I've read these tp-link switches are somewhere between un and managed.

I can return the switches and 88UP and at this point it just doesn't seem doable with the current hardware I have. I was debating on a couple Omada switches, maybe even a complete system, but there's the firewall and security needs, which Asus seems to do a better job of. My goal is security and isolation between the IoT, camera and data devices, between buildings on a single wire. I'm curious what the vastly more experienced folks think about it all. Maybe there's a hardware combination where the right switches and a non-router AP could allow it to work with the 88UP?

I have a detached garage and started several years ago with an AX92U mesh pair (wired back-haul). Quickly dumped the mesh (poor transfer between nodes) for double nat for a while. Finally landed on running the garage 92U in AP mode. This worked well, with great router switching and wifi control, but lacked any way to segment IoT and data devices. I picked up a AX88U Pro to play with Vlans, and for the pending addition of a PoE camera system with NVR. I've been disappointed experimenting with all this now for a couple days, using two tp-link TL-SG108PE switches to facilitate vlans. Maybe the 88UP doesn't play well with the tri-band 92U in AP mode. It all comes close to working, but it's unclear looking at the client list on the 88UP (main) if the Vlan separation is really complete. I've read these tp-link switches are somewhere between un and managed.

I can return the switches and 88UP and at this point it just doesn't seem doable with the current hardware I have. I was debating on a couple Omada switches, maybe even a complete system, but there's the firewall and security needs, which Asus seems to do a better job of. My goal is security and isolation between the IoT, camera and data devices, between buildings on a single wire. I'm curious what the vastly more experienced folks think about it all. Maybe there's a hardware combination where the right switches and a non-router AP could allow it to work with the 88UP?
How is the reliability of the Web UI when making updates? I have the AX88U Pro with the latest FW (3.0.0.6.102_33308) and I am having multiple inconsistencies in the UI, changes don't get reflected after Applying the update, only sometimes after a reboot, on other cases the inconsistency will survive the reboot, maybe you have some experience to share and how to address it?

How is the reliability of the Web UI when making updates? I have the AX88U Pro with the latest FW (3.0.0.6.102_33308) and I am having multiple inconsistencies in the UI, changes don't get reflected after Applying the update, only sometimes after a reboot, on other cases the inconsistency will survive the reboot, maybe you have some experience to share and how to address it?
I noted the same, trying so many updates was absolutely painful! I was using 3.0.0.6.102_32843, which I thought was the most current non-beta. Don't think I have any useful on this. Mentioned that the 92U didn't seem to want to play nice with it in aiMesh mode, but in hindsight maybe that was due to not performing a factory reset first on the 92U. I've since returned the ax88uP.

Have you tried the latest FW 3.0.0.6.102_33308 for the AX88U Pro? If yes, how is your UI and overall experience?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!