What's new

AX88U PRO hit FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Actually, on that topic are Asus committing to longer support lives for the pro models?
Pretty sure "PRO" is just marketing or general indication of an upgrade over previous model.

That's assuming there aren't multiple HND variations of the the newer 4912 platforms.

AXE16000, AX11000 PRO, XT12, ET12, AX4200, AX59U, GT-AX6000, AX88U PRO, AX86U PRO, TUF-AX6000 etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has 4x4 2.4GHz radio (vs 3x3 on AX86U Pro) and second 2.5GbE port for LAN. The single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port on AX86U (Pro) is mostly useless. I would never buy GT-AX6000 just because of the way it looks - a ton of useless plastic and RGB lights on top. Bulky and ultra ugly design to impress teenage gamers. Doesn't look like serious networking equipment. The purple/green version of it is straight from ToysRUs under 12 section.

View attachment 46591

Agreed, also that user interface.. it is hideous! Come on Asus, who really needs a "gaming" router...

It has 4x4 2.4GHz radio (vs 3x3 on AX86U Pro) and second 2.5GbE port for LAN. The single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port on AX86U (Pro) is mostly useless. I would never buy GT-AX6000 just because of the way it looks - a ton of useless plastic and RGB lights on top. Bulky and ultra ugly design to impress teenage gamers. Doesn't look like serious networking equipment. The purple/green version of it is straight from ToysRUs under 12 section.

View attachment 46591
Nothing resembling that is coming into my house……..

This is more like it (IMHO), German, getting quite the following here in Australia.

Actually, on that topic are Asus committing to longer support lives for the pro models?
They typically have been supporting high end models for 6-8 years, so I'm not sure what more you'd expect.

Note that those "Pro" routers aren't a separate product line. They are simply labeled as such to distinguish them from the model they replaced, instead of adding to the confusion with more numbers that makes it hard to tell which model is an upgrade path for which. It's more intuitive IMHO than their previous tendency of appending "B1" to a model name to indicate it's a refreshed model.

The three Pro models currently available are direct refreshes to the three models they replaced, and sit alongside the GT-AX6000 and GT-AXE16000 which are based on the same platform, but don't replace existing models, hence they don't get a "Pro" appended to their model names. All five models will be getting the next 3.0.0.6 firmware base which will add VLAN support.

ExpertWifi would be the separate "business/prosumer" line of products, but so far they haven't announced much about the products of this new product line yet.

Makes sense on the branding and replacement models - I had wondered something similar on the replacement models and agree it definitely keeps things simpler than random new numbers or dot references.

I guess extended support may be the wrong phrase - certainty of time frame would be a better one.

Agree though - compared to many others, Asus certainly haven't shirked their support responsibilities. I see it more the challenge they have as a business is the rate of adoption/consumption of new technologies just isn't there compared to the rate new standards and tech is available. Faster WiFi just doesn't matter with the speeds WiFi 6 offers vs typical broadband speeds (remembering most on this forum talking about these routers wouldn't be typical when it comes to tech consumption) - combine that with the expected (and proven) life span of a quality router and its a tough business model.

Going back on topic though, Asus will be glad to know I'm interested to see price and timing for this in the UK - I'm more likely to buy this than any early WiFi 7 routers in the same time frame.

Nothing resembling that is coming into my house……..

This is more like it (IMHO), German, getting quite the following here in Australia.

The ASUS Zen range are nicer looking IMO if you want a router that doesn’t scream ‘look at me’.

I do agree that the ROG range are all pretty hideous though!

HB

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!