What's new

AX88U PRO hit FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J

jsz

Seems ASUS isn't reusing GT-AX6000 PCB.

Standard unii-1+ unii-3 certification.

Should be 4912 + 6715 + 6715 as far as HW goes.

Cant comment on extra ports, but theres reference to a BCM54991E switch (usually used to extend ports past native main CPU) and ML GPY211.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to rain on your parade (new info?), but we have seen at least two or three threads already discussing this model since the summer. Quite a bit of info on this model has already been circulating for quite some time.

It's true that the retail release has spent a long time in the "coming soon" category.

Asus has even had an official page up for a few weeks:

Asus has even had an official page up for a few weeks:

A new AX88U Pro, not AX86U Pro we know about.

1671822334068.png

Ok, I have to admit I didn't click the FCCID link, and missed the AX88 Pro in the thread title, my apologies.

Still, really Asus? Yet another model that could conceivably be called the AX6000 in shorthand? We didn't have enough confusion among models already?

Just another confirmation all current BCM490x/BCM6755 + BCM43684 based routers are going to be discontinued. This includes AX58U and variants (replaced by V2), AX86U/S (replaced by Pro), AX88U (replaced by Pro), AX11000 (replaced by Pro), XT8 (replaced by TX9). Routers like AX56U and AX68U are perhaps discontinued already and replaced by the multiple BCM6756 based routers (AX58U V2 variants).

Just another confirmation all current BCM490x/BCM6755 + BCM43684 based routers are going to be discontinued. This includes AX58U and variants (replaced by V2), AX86U/S (replaced by Pro), AX88U (replaced by Pro), AX11000 (replaced by Pro), XT8 (replaced by TX9).
I have to wonder if the GT-AX6000 might be part of that consolidation as well. Dropping the official MSRP (and common retail) from $400 to $330, with very frequent "sale" drops down to $300 might indicate that it is also on the cut list, in favor of the "Pro" line models.

I have to wonder if the GT-AX6000

No, GT-AX6000 was the first BCM4912 + BCM6715 based router. This is the Pro hardware other routers are being updated to.

I know that, and as some forum members keep insisting, the GT-AX6000 is still technically superior to the (long-time) forthcoming RT-AX86U Pro. Odd that it GT-AX6000 would drop down to the same price point that the RT-AX86U Pro is expected to sell for, if it wasn't about to be discontinued.

It has 4x4 2.4GHz radio (vs 3x3 on AX86U Pro) and second 2.5GbE port for LAN. The single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port on AX86U (Pro) is mostly useless. I would never buy GT-AX6000 just because of the way it looks - a ton of useless plastic and RGB lights on top. Bulky and ultra ugly design to impress teenage gamers. Doesn't look like serious networking equipment. The purple/green version of it is straight from ToysRUs under 12 section.

1671826668608.png

US MSRP on GT-AX6000 dropped to $329 via Official ASUS e-store and other retailers. AX86U PRO launched @ $299 US MSRP.

GT-AX11000 PRO also launched at a lower than expected $450 MSRP. 1x 2.5G, 1x 10G, 4x 1G, via tri band config.

I would guess some kind of multiport advantage over current GT-AX6000. 2x 2.5G (one handled via BCM50991) 4x 1G.

BCM4916 is also possible if distribution pricing makes sense relative to the 4912. (Most of line up is streamlined 4912, prob won't sway away, but who knows.)

4916 natively supports 1 integrated 10/5/2.5G + Integrated 4x 1G + 3 USXGMII expansion. (2.5/5/10G)
4912 natively supports 1 integrated 2.5G + Integrated 4x 1G + 2x USXGMII and 1x RGMII expansion. (2.5/5/10G)

Both 8 total ports.

Block diagram for reference.

My guess $350-380 USD?

Don't see reasoning for this model unless it one ups the GT-AX6000... I expect 10G or 3x 2.5G at minimum.

It has 4x4 2.4GHz radio (vs 3x3 on AX86U Pro) and second 2.5GbE port for LAN. The single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port on AX86U (Pro) is mostly useless. I would never buy GT-AX6000 just because of the way it looks - a ton of useless plastic and RGB lights on top. Bulky and ultra ugly design to impress teenage gamers. Doesn't look like serious networking equipment. The purple/green version of it is straight from ToysRUs under 12 section.

View attachment 46591

This router belongs to this guy:

41Kcgu78-4L.jpg

Maybe if I glue some plastic bits on my ER605 I could pretend it was a “gaming” router ! :)

Kinda disapointing. technical "downgrade" from GT-AX6000 given it only has 1x USB 3.0 Port.

Better than AX86U PRO in regards to having 2 x 2.5G ports + a 4x4 2.4G radio, but AX86U PRO has two USB ports.

Kinda disapointing. technical "downgrade" from GT-AX6000 given it only has 1x USB 3.0 Port.

Better than AX86U PRO in regards to having 2 x 2.5G ports + a 4x4 2.4G radio, but AX86U PRO has two USB ports.
so still, it seems like the GT-AX6000 is the best bang for the buck in terms of price and features.

On a side note, my previous RT-AX88U was the worst router I owned, any firmware past 384.xx would cause the router to randomly disconnect then get internet back after a minute, I tried many factory resets, cables, etc. on older firmware it was perfect so it left a sour taste in my mouth where the cheap RT-AC86U although slightly cheaper, was the better router at the time.

so still, it seems like the GT-AX6000 is the best bang for the buck in terms of price and features.

On a side note, my previous RT-AX88U was the worst router I owned, any firmware past 384.xx would cause the router to randomly disconnect then get internet back after a minute, I tried many factory resets, cables, etc. on older firmware it was perfect so it left a sour taste in my mouth where the cheap RT-AC86U although slightly cheaper, was the better router at the time.

If it works for you subjectively.

Both GT-AX6000 I've tried have poor performance in my home. Only a tad better than my GT-AC2900 for throughput, granted the GT-AC2900 holds better PHY rates at my specific testing distance. :confused: Not saying its a bad router, but it certainly doesn't work for me.

It's possible the AX88U PRO does better subjectively for some people. Would mostly be due to alternative EE design.. Just fairly disappointed theres no real advantage over the GT-AX6000 from hardware "feature" alone.

And that's precisely where it sits in the product stack: above the RT-AX86U_Pro, but below the GT-AX6000. Its pricing will also reflect this.

Not every new model needs to be the new flagship with an extra $100 added to the price of the previous flagship. You also need to provide options at a lower price point within the product stack.

If what you want is an upgrade to a GT-AX6000, then get a GT-AXE16000.

On a side note, my previous RT-AX88U was the worst router I owned, any firmware past 384.xx would cause the router to randomly disconnect then get internet back after a minute,
I used an RT-AX88U as my main router until last spring, and it was rock stable for me. Sounds like a hardware defect or a problem with your ISP equipment, not a model flaw.

And that's precisely where it sits in the product stack: above the RT-AX86U_Pro, but below the GT-AX6000. Its pricing will also reflect this.

Not every new model needs to be the new flagship with an extra $100 added to the price of the previous flagship. You also need to provide options at a lower price point within the product stack.

Good to know pricing wont be too crazy.

AX86U models went up, from $250> 280 (inflation?)> 300 USD (PRO), but that can be argued in regards to sheer popularity of the AX86 lineup.. even adding a lower tier model (AX86S) priced at the former launch MSRP @ $250.

I was expecting around $350-380 with some kind of upgrade, but I don't mind the downgrade spec if pricing also reflects this.

GT-AX6000 is currently 279 USD sale price on Amazon US.

So $310-320? Kind of an odd segmentation after GT-AX6000 dropped to from $399> $329 USD, but I digress.

That's an interesting perspective on pricing.

I'm at the point the only reason for an upgrade would be staying on a supported model. With broadband in the UK barely getting to a point 1gig is commonly available, the whole debate about 2.5 and complaints of not enough ports tends to pass me by.

The AX88U Pro at a cheaper price than the GT-AX6000 though would be good for future proofing, assuming a decent support life. (If it keeps the case from the AC88 that's even better as it will wall mount)

Actually, on that topic are Asus committing to longer support lives for the pro models?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!