What's new

AX88U Static IP devices can't connect to router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If Samba was running on the Pi I don't think that has anything to do with it.

I'd pursue the damaged cable theory. Try the "wiggle test" (at each end) and see if you can generate those errors in the syslog.

So issue is live again right now.

Last time it happened it seemed all my devices got booted couldnt get wired, wireless, dhcp or static into router.

This occurence however happened at 12:22 local time for me and inwas in an app on my phone when i lt happend.

This time all wired devices cannot connect. Turned my wired pc on and its not getting assigned an ip address.

Dhcp wireless mac is on and ok.
Going to try adding wireless dhcp windows laptop. Then try it on static and see if my cabled pc has any joy on static address.

Internet this time crucially is still connected (except my dns resolution due to dns server being a cabled client)

After fiddling on laptop ill try one of my 2 unused network ports and failing that rip them all out and see if anything changes.

Other suggestions welcome but all cabled devices losong network feels hardware unless its a firmware fault.
Apolgies for typos doing this on 4g on phone at the moment

---------------------------------

@RT-AX88U-60D8:/tmp/home/root# ip neighbour show
192.168.1.111 dev br0 FAILED
192.168.1.196 dev br0 FAILED
192.168.1.40 dev br0 lladdr 00:11:32:e6:cf:13 STALE
192.168.1.20 dev br0 lladdr 68:6d:bc:fa:54:9d STALE
192.168.1.50 dev br0 lladdr b8:27:eb:fd:48:15 REACHABLE
192.168.1.174 dev br0 lladdr 98:01:a7:3b:79:0a STALE
192.168.1.68 dev br0 INCOMPLETE
169.254.232.102 dev eth0 FAILED
192.168.1.241 dev br0 FAILED
192.168.1.109 dev br0 FAILED
192.168.1.165 dev br0 lladdr 8c:a9:82:85:51:74 REACHABLE
192.168.1.236 dev br0 lladdr 3c:22:fb:0e:fd:36 REACHABLE
192.168.1.119 dev br0 FAILED
192.168.1.122 dev br0 lladdr 54:2a:1b:ca:4b:4c STALE
192.168.1.178 dev br0 FAILED
169.254.248.33 dev eth0 FAILED
192.168.1.45 dev br0 lladdr d8:0d:17:e5:ea:24 STALE
192.168.1.99 dev br0 lladdr b6:75:a8:b4:66:ac STALE
admin@RT-AX88U-60D8:/tmp/home/root#

Output of ip neighbour show on router itself. .165 is the laptop i ran that from. 236 probably my phone.
Interesting it thinks 192.168.1.50 is reachable as its the cabled DNS server and pinging from the router fails for that address. Can ping the .165 laptop fine.

Seemed really slow connecting via SSH.
Router CPU's barely doing anything, 2% on one. 50% memory free.
Doesn't appear to be stressed.

All cabled devices were off network entirely this time. Not like previous times where they couldn't talk to router but could talk to each other.

Tried my PC cabled on static address no joy. Interesting that unplugging the cable is detected in the syslog as eth4 (ext switch port 3)

Pastebin of my latest logs, You can see some cable unplugs im doing in there. issue started prompt at 11:22 time on logs.

Sep 22 11:12:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth7: Deauth_ind CA:65:7E: - Pastebin.com

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.
pastebin.com

pastebin.com

The last thing i tried was on my wireless dhcp laptop i went into its IP4 settings to set a static address. It then lost connection to the wifi and couldn't reconnect. Tried putting it back to DHCP and it couldn't get on the WIFI again.

Coincidence or not, as I tried this. my Mac which I left alone (DHCP wireless and on network fine) Lost network entirely too. At this point all devices were disconnected.
Last thing I did then was unplug all 6 of my wired devices, just to see if it would do anything / even still be logging at this point.

I also tried connecting to router over internet at this point which failed. Note it was available via internet as the issue started at 11:22 but by 12:05 ish when my last 2 wireless devices lost network it was completely inaccessible.

I am at a loss for this. Its same devices and cables as my old router which worked without fault for years.

I'm not sure what to try next. Firmware change perhaps? Would the merlin firmware give better logs?
Other than this it feels like there is an inherent firmware or hardware fault in all these routers that is only triggered with something within my set up.

Last edited:
Your log file starts at 11:12. What were the log entries prior to that time?

Last edited:
Hi @ColinTaylor
Sorry I trimmed that as that was just before the issue happend. Didn't think it would be helpful.
Thanks. Even though there's nothing there that in itself can sometimes be useful to see the problem in context.

Unfortunately the logs aren't giving us any new information. I think stock firmware suppresses a lot of the standard messages (like DHCP).

My gut feeling is that this is a hardware issue with the devices (or the cables) plugged into the router. Short of unplugging all of your wired devices I don't know how to diagnose that further.

Installing Merlin's firmware would be useful because a) it's something different, and b) you can increase the logging level to potentially see more information.

Thanks @ColinTaylor Really weird that if true that fault only effects this make / model of router and not others i've had.
I'll upgrade to merlin and do a full factory reset so everythings fresh and see how that goes.
Hoping by setting logs to debug on merlin might give more info. Or perhaps some different behaviour.

My 2 suspect devices would be pihole server or TP-link wireless AP.
But I can see from a recent asus firmware update they fixed an issue where they broke the WAN DNS Server setting (it just disconnected if you tried to set a DNS Server).
But if the wireless AP proves to be the fault I'll need take it to ASUS as it shouldn't need *Their* own type of AP to work.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor Already happend again. Only put it on merlin yesterday afternoon.

See anything in here that might be a clue?

Same symptoms as before, weirdly this time my pc when i turned it on would connect to router (as has happend in the past)
Usual story. Can ping all from PC. Router can't ping anything except my pc.
Internet still connected but DNS resolution failure due to DNS server being one of the disconnected items.

Short of unplugging 1 device at a time for a week I don't know what to do.
I know I've had the same issue with 2 AX88U's now but I've had numerous other vendor machines without problem.
At this point I feel my only option is to try another router which is a real shame.

I tried the merlin software on my original too and noticed the same that whatever the problem is. Happens alot more frequently on the merlin than the base asus firmware.

Last edited:
Well I'm at a loss for ideas.The router seems to still be receiving data from the LAN bridge but doesn't seem to be able to send data back. Every theory I can think of is negated because they would all give some sort of error message in the syslog, which you are not getting.

There have been occasional reports of strange router behaviour caused by for example, incompatible Ethernet adapters, rogue DHCP servers, powerline adapters, etc. But at this point I can only suggest that you try systematically unplugging devices to see if one of those is causing a conflict.

Have you tried running with your ISP or other 3rd party DNS instead of your own?
Have you tried running with the default IP (.1) for the router?
Did you reset to factory settings and manually configure the router (without loading a saved configuration file)?

Not saying these are necessarily permanent changes, but knowing if there was any change in behaviour could prove useful.

Rather than removing devices one at a time, I'd go from the opposite end. Remove all devices and add them back 1 at a time.

@dosborne
I've done the factory reset and manually configured yeah.
I might trial with my TP-Link AP off first. But I need to add another to the house soon. So if the router can't cope with that it'll have to go unfortunately.

DNS not tried yet but I can, but again if its defective due to that. its functionality I want and is fairly basic for a router. My last 2 did it no issue.

Just the pain of having to unplug something and sit and wait. All the time my window to return grows smaller.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!