What's new

AX88U - Wifi issues? (386.2_6)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
I have just done a dirty update my AX88U, from the lated stock Asus firmware to 386.2_6 (first time I've used Merlin).

I have not changed and settings but I noticed a degradation in wireless performance. A number of devices on the edge of my network which previously appeared to have no problems, mainly smart plugs etc, are frequently dropping off for long periods of time.

Any know issues with Merlin? Any settings worth tweaking?

TIA.

Dirty upgrade from stock is not recommended. You shall perform factory default reset after flashing Merlin's FW. Then you shall configure your router from scratch.

I have a recently acquired AX88U with Merlin 386.2_6 installed directly after unboxing, followed by a factory reset afterwards, prior to configuration.

I'm getting a situation where maybe once, or twice a day 5GHz clients drop from the network, and the SSID doesn't appear to be visible to any. I think on occasions the 2.4G disappears too, but I don't have any PC's on 2.4G so I'm not sure. I've certainly had at least one instance where the 5GHz SSID isn't visible but the 2.4G is and can be connected to.

Whenever I've glanced at the router the LED's for both radios are on.

After a period of time (maybe 1-2mins?) it seems to come back and clients can connect.

I have separate 2.4 and 5GHz SSID's and smart connect is disabled.

Not sure what to do to provide more diagnostics, but I'm happy to help if anyone can point me in the right direction. Have set log levels to debug and all to see if that gives any insight.

Andy.

Either turn off Auto Control Channel control or choose another manual Control Channel.

Reactions: ALW
Either turn off Auto Control Channel control or choose another manual Control Channel.
That's a good point, always fixed this on the previous router, have changed it and will see what happens.

Thanks!

This also happened to me when I went from 386.2_2 to 386.2_6. Everything seemed fine and then I would lose WIFI. I noticed on my mobile phone I could not get an IP address issued to the mobile from the router on either band. SO I moved forward to beta, same issue.

I went back to 386.2_2 and he is stable again, try this and let me know if it works for you then it looks like the coder will need to do some testing as something has gone wrong after this firmware version for this model.
Thank you, everyone ... let's hope the bug is found

I went back to 386.2_2 and he is stable again, try this and let me know if it works for you then it looks like the coder will need to do some testing as something has gone wrong after this firmware version for this model.
I have zero issue with wifi on my own RT-AX88U. The issue is your setup, not the firmware.

This also happened to me when I went from 386.2_2 to 386.2_6. Everything seemed fine and then I would lose WIFI. I noticed on my mobile phone I could not get an IP address issued to the mobile from the router on either band. SO I moved forward to beta, same issue.

Thank you, everyone ... let's hope the bug is found
Are you using auto channel? I had an issue over the weekend where some clients were disconnecting and unable to reconnect. Did a WiFi scan and saw some relatively strong signals from my neighbors were on the same channel. Manually set to another less crowded channel and the issue has been resolved.

Maybe you have a similar issue, and the downgrades you did was really auto channel in action (or inaction), and when you flashed 386.2_2, the auto channel selected the better channel.