What's new

AX88U with pfSense

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tekrich

Regular Contributor
I currently have my Virgin Media router in modem mode, connected to the Asus AX88U, then a single LAN port connected to an 8 port switch.

I have set up a pfSense router, with a WAN port, 2 LAN ports, and wireless. It's a SSF Lenovo machine.

I plan on putting this between the virgin media router and the AX88U. Would I need to put the AX88U in AP mode?

I know I will need to disable DHCP on the Asus router? Will this be enough?

The Asus router would be assigned an IP by pfSense. Would I plug into the WAN port on the Asus? I ask this because I have an AC68U downstairs in AP mode that you can plug into the WAN port.

Any help appreciated.

Stay safe.

What's the Wireless for on this pfSense box?

It's a card that's installed. I'm going to remove it. I have 2 quad intel gigabit NICs that I'm going to install to get 9 gigabit ports total; 8 on the cards installed, and the 9th on the motherboard.

VM Device (Modem Only) -> SFF PC (pfSense Router + Firewall) -> RT-AX88U in AP Mode (8-Port Switch + Access Point)

Thanks. I'm going to experiment with this a little.

Thanks. I'm going to experiment with this a little.

I see it's an experiment and kind of waste of a good AIO router as AP, but all you need to start with pfSense is 1 x WAN and 1 x LAN interfaces. WAN goes to the modem, pfSense gets ISP assigned external IP address. LAN goes to WAN port of the router, the router gets internal IP assigned from pfSense. Your pfSense becomes the main router, your RT-AX88U becomes your Gigabit Switch and WiFi Access Point. The physical setup is pretty simple, but the pfSense needs some reading. Now is a very good time to keep yourself busy and learn new things.

Look here for pfSense help:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTecknowledge/search?query=pfsense

Start with this video:

There is a newer 2.4.5 version, but 2.4.x available options are 95% the same.

You could also manually set a static IP for your AX88U access point under the AX88U LAN settings to avoid having pfsense serve it via DHCP. This eliminate the need for your access point to have a DHCP client running. For example for my access point I use the following settings:

Get LAN IP Automatically? No
IP Address: 10.200.200.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.200.200.1
DNS Server: 10.200.200.1

My router (OPNsense) IP address is 10.200.200.1. Just a suggestion for your testing.

You could also manually set a static IP for your AX88U access point under the AX88U LAN settings to avoid having pfsense serve it via DHCP. This eliminate the need for your access point to have a DHCP client running. For example for my access point I use the following settings:

Get LAN IP Automatically? No
IP Address: 10.200.200.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.200.200.1
DNS Server: 10.200.200.1

My router (OPNsense) IP address is 10.200.200.1. Just a suggestion for your testing.

I have my AX88U assigning static IPs to a few devices, and have the family that use the clients; Plex, Channels DVR, and we have the CCTV.

So what i'm going to try and do is connect pfSense to a switch in my office and see how I get on with my equipment as clients.

OK... you're quite serious about this experiment. I like that. :)

I acquired two, quad gigabit low profile cards. Can only use one; they're physical connections are PCIe x4, and I only have one PCIe x16 and 3 PCIE x1 connections.

This is not a problem, pfSense can do the same for you. You can have the same IPs reserved in DHCP.

Yep, looks very comprehensive. I like this.

So, I'm just going to go for it tomorrow.

30 mins downtime. I'll stick it after our modem, before the AX88U, stick the AX88U in AP mode.

Then a 2nd LAN from pfsense to the 8 port switch, which runs LAN throughout the house.

Thanks everyone.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!