What's new

AX92U only one client WiFi 6 low latency settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avantu

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys,

I need help setting up my AX92U router for lowest latency. The network works overall OK, when i ping google directly from router it is very stable(i got fiber connection) but there is some ping jitter while playing Valorant I don't really like and I don't know what is the reason. I live in small apartment and at the moment all my devices are connected to 2.4GHz. I have disabled 5G-1 and use 5G-2 (WiFi 6) only to connect to my Intel AX200 powered PC, so this is only 5GHz device. My router and PC are just few meters and one wall away. Is it normal that TX jitter is higher on PC for me than RX jitter? I have noticed that on 2.4GHz there is also some jitter but i didn't care much. I felt like AiProtection did introduce some regular ping spikes in my game but seriously turning it off and on sometimes doesn't make difference so I don't know anymore. Here are my settings at the moment:

And they seem pretty OK at the moment. They are not default, i have disabled things like MUMIMO and OFDMA but i'm not sure if i should disable it. Is there anything I can improve? Also does 160MHz band WiFi6 has better latency performance than 80MHz? Many thanks.

//Edit: At the moment i try default settings with: Traditional QoS and my PC as highest enabled + turning of WiFi 5-1 and it seems best. There are some spikes from time to time but they don't exceed 100ms at worst.

Last edited:
You have paid for a beast of a router and by limiting the WIFI settings you have made it a mouse! Best recommendation is to do a factory reset and leave the WIFI settings alone. Yes, it seems counter productive but it does work! Use the SmartConnect, leave the 5 GHz bands at 20, 40, 80, 160 Auto Channel. Enable DFS maybe and set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz auto channel. Let you clients and router choose the band and bandwidth that is best for them. Trust your router!

What you said is counter to anything i have read here and on the internet. I dont really get why i would want my Phone for example to connect to wifi6 and spoil my latency on PC if my goal is to have the best link possible. I dont think your proposition would be better but i guess i can try, default settings but should i use 160mhz and dfs? What about qos, set it to adaptative and game or traditional and my pc as highest?

I have a AX92 as well.

You said the magic word: wall. Even one wall can introduce signal degradation. See if you can move your AX92 / gaming rig to get line of sight or line thru a door. Hard wired >> Line of sight > interior door > interior wall > exterior wall.

Otherwise I would do the following:

Reset to default
Disable SmartConnect and use separate SSID’s for networks
AX Only on 5GHz-2 (you got that already).

I also question whether you need the overhead of running QOS with only 1 high speed device. The AX92 is a 2 CPU unit, so IMHO keep anything turned off you don’t need.

In summary, the biggest thing you can do is hardwire the gaming rig or get it where it is not shooting thru a wall to the AX92. Don’t be shy about running an Ethernet cable behind some furniture so you can move the AX92 away from your ONT. I did this and greatly improved performance.

I have a AX92 as well.

You said the magic word: wall. Even one wall can introduce signal degradation. See if you can move your AX92 / gaming rig to get line of sight or line thru a door. Hard wired >> Line of sight > interior door > interior wall > exterior wall.

Otherwise I would do the following:

Reset to default
Disable SmartConnect and use separate SSID’s for networks
AX Only on 5GHz-2 (you got that already).

I also question whether you need the overhead of running QOS with only 1 high speed device. The AX92 is a 2 CPU unit, so IMHO keep anything turned off you don’t need.

In summary, the biggest thing you can do is hardwire the gaming rig or get it where it is not shooting thru a wall to the AX92. Don’t be shy about running an Ethernet cable behind some furniture so you can move the AX92 away from your ONT. I did this and greatly improved performance.

Your proposition is actually other than bbunge said :D But idk why you care about my wall, as i said it is basically very close to each other. The wall itself isn't big. There is no issue with it i think. About QoS, i'm not really sure. ATM I went bbunge way and restored everything back to stock + Adaptive QoS for Gaming, it is supposedly HW accelerated so CPU shouldn't stress too much, also remember that this more mid-high end router from Asus, this CPU doesn't seem that weak.

//Edit: This seem to work pretty ok, which is stock settings + smartconnect + adaptive QoS. Idk, maybe Asus does something really smart when this things are enabled, but my performance seems good. I still don't know if smartconnect is better to be enabled or disabled, but I may leave it like it is and we will see.

Last edited:
One more question, how does "Gear Accelerator Game Device Prioritizing" work on AX92U? I read that for some people this makes adaptive qos go to gaming, others that it makes their router to turn on traditional qos. For me this turns off and on adaptive QoS but doesn't change it from my custom state. Can it be different implementation of this function by Asus? Does anyone know what this is doing? I can add PC to Gear Accelerator but there is no such thing I could do to Adaptive QoS. Gear Accelerator is always on with Adaptive QoS even if no network devices are added.

Sounds like you have got some stability back. I would run it for awhile and see how it works for you.

Idk man, i feel like it could be better, but maybe i ask for too much, this is wireless connection after all. I still get small spikes of ping.

Update for anyone interested: Default settings seems bad to me, at least for my location. DFS radar or anything seems to fk my ping every few seconds. I went back to using 5G-2(Wifi 6) band solely as my PC connection, standard 5Ghz for smartphones etc. and 2.4GHz for slower smart devices. I turned off almost everything in Professional settings of 5G-2 since I don't need MUMIMO or OFDMA when using with only one client. Also i don't use 160MHz and select channel to 112 manualy (100 is used by another router in my area, shouldn't be a problem but this is OK this way) so the DFS doesn't work.

You didn't say where you're located, but 112 is definitely part of the DFS range in the USA, and I thought it was so everywhere else too. If you see occasional service dropouts, you should rethink that channel choice.

You didn't say where you're located, but 112 is definitely part of the DFS range in the USA, and I thought it was so everywhere else too. If you see occasional service dropouts, you should rethink that channel choice.
Yes, you are right. Now I know that DFS is the problem causing most of the ping spikes. This is so retarded that (at least on this router) to use 5G-2 WiFi6 band you have to use DFS, there is no way to turn it off or use non DFS channels. I don't know what idiot designed DFS to screw your ping every few seconds because radar is active. You are designing fastest wireless network just to screw it up with DFS? This doesn't make sense to me. I went back to "standard" WiFi5(AC) connection without DFS and it is working great, not perfect like every wireless network but almost unnoticable in game. I guess I will just wire a cable from router to my PC in near future and it will be end game lmao. I guess that if you use WiFi6/DFS for high speed file transfer, video/audio streaming or even VoIP it shouldn't be noticable as the ping spikes aren't that high, but in game such as Valorant, CS GO or anything other more competitive this is ruining experience for me. Sad, because I thrown away a lot of money to use WiFi6 but I didn't know about all of this, and seriously getting info about this anywhere on the internet seems nightmare.

The info's out there. In the USA, there are basically two DFS-free 80MHz channels available: channel numbers 36-48 and channel numbers 149-161. As long as you pick one of those you should be OK. (FYI, what we've got here is that these are two groups of four 20MHz channels. If you're using say 36 while your neighbor uses 44, then control frames and low-bandwidth traffic don't interfere, but you will have interference anytime either party wants to use the full 80MHz bandwidth.)

I'm not an expert on regulations elsewhere, but my impression is that 36-48 are available as an 80MHz channel worldwide, while 149-161 are only available in some countries; and everybody agrees that the channels in between are the DFS range.

WiFi 6e will make this a lot better by opening up more non-DFS spectrum, but that's still a few years away from being common.

The info's out there. In the USA, there are basically two DFS-free 80MHz channels available: channel numbers 36-48 and channel numbers 149-161. As long as you pick one of those you should be OK. (FYI, what we've got here is that these are two groups of four 20MHz channels. If you're using say 36 while your neighbor uses 44, then control frames and low-bandwidth traffic don't interfere, but you will have interference anytime either party wants to use the full 80MHz bandwidth.)

I'm not an expert on regulations elsewhere, but my impression is that 36-48 are available as an 80MHz channel worldwide, while 149-161 are only available in some countries; and everybody agrees that the channels in between are the DFS range.

WiFi 6e will make this a lot better by opening up more non-DFS spectrum, but that's still a few years away from being common.
The info is there only if you search really hard and know what is going on. Also YOU CAN'T choose nonDFS channel on AX92U WiFi6 band and i doubt there is any info about it. Here in Europe I can only set it to 100-128 which are DFS channels as far as I know. This is very BS to me as this band is used for AiMesh wireless backhaul so it would, at least in my case, introduce ping spikes due to DFS radar running in the background for no apparent reason. I use this router as standalone and wanted to connect my PC trough WiFi6 but due to DFS I just can't.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!