What's new

AX92U - Underrated?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is, but it still keeps the 5GHz-2 turned off even if ethernet backhaul is specified.
Did you mean 5GHz-2 turned ON if Ethernet is specified? I think that's so it can be used as a fronthaul (client connect) radio.

Did you mean 5GHz-2 turned ON if Ethernet is specified? I think that's so it can be used as a fronthaul (client connect) radio.
No.

If AiMesh is turned ON, 5GHz-2 is reserved for WiFi backhaul. It is unusable for clients, so therefore to clients it's effectively off. This applies if you're using WiFi or ethernet backhaul.

Yes, it's rediculous. It's an AX router than you can't use AX on if you put it in AiMesh... :rolleyes:

Edit: I've had a look at Asus' site and I think 386 firmware may have changed this behavior - I'll have to dig my 92U out and see if I can make it behave.

Last edited:
@RogerSC Thanks for confirming. I've been working with both the XT8 and AX92U for an upcoming article and thought I saw that ability.

You can also enable use of 5GHz-2 by clients using wireless backhaul. Doing this from my AX92 with my old AC88 as a node that has WAN port issues.

@RogerSC Thanks for confirming. I've been working with both the XT8 and AX92U for an upcoming article and thought I saw that ability.

Can't wait to see the article! The ZenWiFi AX is performing admirably here without wired backhaul. Up for 24 days now with the latest firmware, and no problems yet. Other than a couple of bogus messages in the system log that it has trained me to ignore *smile*.

This is almost intriguing enough to purchase. I haven't gotten into wifi6 yet. Currently I'm running and AC88U as my main and a Netgear r7000 as an access point. I've been thinking about adding an Asus in place of the Netgear for a wired backhaul Mesh.... I'm almost think I should just get one of these 2packs that can be had for under 300 as an Amazon warehouse deal.

Last edited:
I was able to purchase a single AX92u, as I didn't need a mesh system, and it works great. I have the 5Ghz-2 radio working just fine for my laptop (AX200 card) and my phone (Samsung S21+). All other devices in the house connect to either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz-1 radio.

The AX92u is a high end router that will beat even the AX86u on latency and performance

I think the AX92u is underrated because it's odd specs cause confusion.

This is what I would recommend for best performance:

Apartment / Small house: iSP router
Large coverage area: AX92u 2 pack or AX89x + AX92u node
6 Ghz: GT-AXE11000

I would forget about any Asus router lower than the 89x, unless you need Merlin or want to build an AI mesh, I can't see them being any better than what your ISP would provide.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210621-203149_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-203149_Speedtest.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!